PDA

View Full Version : Living in fear with LW 9.6

monfoodoo
05-12-2009, 08:14 AM
The fear is:Modeler crash.It always happens when cutting from one layer and pasting to another.And on occasion for no reason.I,ve already wiped 9.6 and all related files from my drive and reinstalled,no change.Memory and graphics are not an issue.So what is it?I find myself saving on every single action.Anybody else have this problem?

cresshead
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
no problemo here...

ae you running any plugins?

so what's the o/s your running?

Tranimatronic
05-12-2009, 09:11 AM
thats odd. Ive NEVER had problems with modeler 9.6, but yesterday I kinda had the same error.

Im blaming booleans. I try to avoid them as much as possible, but yesterday I used one, cleaned up the model then tried to edge bevel the result. Crash. Reloaded the model, got weird edges all over the place in the viewport. Restart. Tried to copy the front faces into a new layer. Same edges intersecting the camera object explosion. Turned all visible layers off then back on. Same result. Turned layers on one at a time and they were fine.

Restarted the computer then modeler this time building the object without using evil boolean black magic. Everything runs fine.

are you dabbling with the dark side ? If so try building the object without booleans and see if that helps.....

geo_n
05-12-2009, 09:36 AM
are you using vista? there are very few cases where vista,gfx, mobo, lw, combo that's very unstable. Swap out the the gfx card or change os.

Nangleator
05-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Still got configs from an earlier version? They can cause trouble.

Larry_g1s
05-12-2009, 09:46 AM
What OS are you on? Is it Xp 64bit by chance? I've had major problems in modeler with 9.5 & 9.6. But I changed Geometry Accelerator to Streaming on the GL tab in the Display Options, it has been MUCH better. I was getting crashes all the time, now it's very rare.

Chuck
05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
This support issue has been moved to the appropriate support forum section. Support issues and bug reports should always be posted in the appropriate support forum section, never in the General Discussion or LWCommunity sections.

As other folks have already noted, more info is needed in order to begin to hash out a possible source for your difficulty. Your OS and system configuration are the best place to begin.

Also, is the feedback agent coming up when these crashes occur? If so, are you sending in the crash logs with a summary of hwat you were doing at the time the crash occurred? Are there repeatable steps that will reliably produce the crash every time, or is it intermittent, sometimes crashing, sometimes not? If intermittent, have you tested the RAM in your system to see if there may be a problem due to a fault in some location?

monfoodoo
05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Windows XP,Nvidia GForce 9500 gt,400 Ram.

adamredwoods
05-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I would suggest clearing out the config files, to make sure LW9.6 is not using LW9.5 config files. That has lowered the number of 9.6 crashes for me.

...but with that said, I still get the occasional Modeler crash...

monfoodoo
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Windows xp 32.I'll delete the configs again and try it from there.I was getting alot of crashs doing the Triumph Hillclimb bike and i thought it was from all the geometry,but this new project is yet (4-4-0 Train)pretty simple.I'll send the crash reports from now on.My pc is pretty stable and i recently had the drive wiped so there isn't any old files from the earlier versions.

biliousfrog
05-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I had exactly the same problem recently. It only occured with a certain project and model but I would religiously save the object before changing layers otherwise it would crash every time.

wayne1 huffman
05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm using LW7.5d PC and from time to time a model will get corrupted and cause that behavior. I'd have to go back to an earlier copy of the model and start over from there, then it would be okay.