PDA

View Full Version : a question (or two)

bobby
08-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Trying to create a footer with scolling credits and I'm having a problem adjusting the speed. The smallest preset is 2 which is still too fast. I've manually adjusted the speed to 1, to .5, .25, even .01 and they all play back at the same speed, which looks like it is still 2. The preset still says 2, even though I've adjusted the speed to 1 or less. Am I doing this correctly?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the day progresses :)

prospector
08-20-2003, 02:46 PM
try frames in dropdown
mine goes so slow on 2 it takes 5 sec for a half line to go by at the default text size.

bobby
08-20-2003, 02:48 PM
where's the drop down for frames? I'm using VT3.

bobby
08-21-2003, 08:25 AM
I also just noticed, when the motion is changed to move left to right or right to left, the speed seems to work correctly, meaning it is quite slow under 2. But having a vertical motion, the speed doesn't seem to slow down.

I've looked for a Frames drop down box, but I haven't found it yet.

prospector
08-21-2003, 08:55 AM
next to the speed setting window there is a button that ya either set to speed or frames (click on it and it will open up for the choices)

oops just looked at mine
says either speed or time

tried all scroll directions here with settings on 1 (defaults to it)(in type in window)
drop down to 'speed'

1 pixel/frame

and it runs extremely slow (still scrolling up screen as I type this)

bobby
08-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Man, I really wish I could find the drop-down for speed. I think I might recall it being there in VT2, but I don't see it at all in VT3.

Even putting the speed on 0, my text going up the screen is still too fast. Granted, the preset still says 2, which is the lowest, but I've changed the speed 0 or .5 and it doesn't make a difference.

I tried slowing it down in VT-Edit, but doing that makes the text look pretty bad.

I'll keep trying...

prospector
08-21-2003, 01:17 PM
HMMM
Haven't got VT3 yet (maby it's good I don't yet:) )

But , yep it's on VT2
didn't see ya had VT3 at first till your later message

can't help ya if interfaces not the same.

Sorry

Gordon
08-21-2003, 01:54 PM
There is only a speed button on VT[3]. But it does work! Change the speed using the presets and then hit the 'go' button and you can see it does change the speed of the scroll. This is for a 'live' production of course.

If you need this for VT-Edit, then you can just save it as a still and use the positioning tools in VT-edit to scroll it.

Assuming you get the 'go' button to work at the speed you need, you can also open up a capture panel and record 'program out' to an RTV file. Then you can drop this RTV file into VT-Edit.

bobby
08-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong, but I swear, my scrolling text when going up will not go any slower than 2. Yes, I can hit a preset and the speed will change accordingly. But 2 is the lowest preset, which is still a tad too fast. So, while the preset is still set on 2, I will change the speed to 1, or .5, but the scroll does not change. It still goes the same speed.

Maybe I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be. I basically just want a file for my footer to slap on at the end of all of my productions. I was just recording the output of CG to the capture panel and saving it as an RTV file. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks for everyones help, too.

bobby
08-21-2003, 03:07 PM
What's weird, if I change the direction of the text to left or right, I can see the speed changes immediately, and the text will scoll very slowly. Of course, I don't want my ending credits to move left or right, but the Up or Down directions don't seem to behave the same way as the Left and Right.

Gordon
08-21-2003, 04:19 PM
but I swear, my scrolling text when going up will not go any slower than 2.

Actually, you are right, in that the faster speeds work fine, but you can't get a vertical scroll to go slower than 2. In fact you can't get a vertical scroll to go slower then '6'!

You should save the CG page as a still image and then use the positioner in VT-Edit to scroll the CG page.

prospector
08-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Strange Gordon

Using VT2

I just did 6 different scroll settings from 1 to 10 and saved out as a RTV file, (Verticle and then horizontal), brought all 6 into Ted and set up a six screen view (sizing frames) like the Brady Bunch and all 6 ran at different speed and very noticable too.

Is this option now gone in VT3 ?

ScorpioProd
08-22-2003, 12:12 AM
There were bad quality issues with some of the speed settings available for CG scrolls in VT[2], so they were removed in VT[3].

But you can still alter the speed any way you want in VT-Edit.

ScorpioProd
08-22-2003, 01:30 AM
D'oh! Though I am correct in what I said above, that's why 1,3,5 speeds are not there...

You are also totally correct, there is a MAJOR speed bug in the CG for scrolls!

I just confirmed that speeds 2, 4, 6 are in fact now the SAME speed! :(

I have passed this on to the proper authorities so it can be fixed real soon. Meanwhile, you can do the speed change in VT-Edit as a workaround.

It's funny, I thought my scrolls were running a little fast at '2', but I wasn't sure before!

bobby
08-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Thank you, thank you....I thought I was crazy...it's good to know that I am not (well, at least in this situation). Ok, so if I want to do it in VT-Edit, I save the page as a still image, right? But in doing so, won't I lose some of my text if my text is longer than one page? Maybe I have to chop it up...I'll play with it. Thanks guys.

ScorpioProd
08-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Actually, I would suggest just altering the speed of the RTV saved scroll in VT-Edit...

But if you want to save it as a still, you can now. Toaster CG will properly save a scroll as a LONG still image. Which you can then animate in VT-Edit.

bobby
08-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Actually, I tried that, but slowing the RTV made the text look pretty jumpy and crawl. It wasn't very smooth. I'll try the single image file like you suggested. Thanks.

ScorpioProd
08-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Yeah, it may be better to animate the still page...

But again, this is why it's important to get those old speed settings available in the CG again. Since that's the only way to be able to select an evenly divisible movement rate into the video refresh rate so you don't get flicker.

prospector
08-23-2003, 10:19 AM
you would think something like that would have been noticed in Beta testing:(

Gordon
08-25-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by prospector
you would think something like that would have been noticed in Beta testing:(
There is a significant difference in testing compared with real world usage. In testing many things appear to work okay, (a scroll does indeed scroll without crashing), but in real world usage things like this pop up. Even when you mentioned that you couldn't lower the speed less than two, it was another beta tester that actually noticed you couldn't lower the speed, (and make a real difference), lower than 6! I had to revisit and test this again, using a stopwatch rather than just looking to see if it worked.

In other words, it doesn't surprise me that it slipped through beta testing. It was noticed during beta testing but the one person who posted it, asking if anyone else noticed this, may have thought it was only his system because none of the other beta testers checked to confirm that it was a bug. If someone would have confirmed it, then it would have been reported and probably squashed.

BTW, beta testing for VT[3] was 'open public' for quite a while so there were a lot of testers. But there are thousands of things to check; sorry we missed it.

ScorpioProd
08-25-2003, 11:39 AM
No appologies necessary Gordon, speaking as a fellow beta tester, we did what we could.

There are many variables involved in beta testing, some under our control, some not. Everyone tests differently, and unless we are specifically looking for a problem that has been noted, things can get missed.

BBS-TV
09-17-2003, 09:13 AM
How does one make sure an obvious glitch like this is fixed quickly? Who do we contact? Using TEd is a poor replacement in our case as we use TEd for script scrolls and by the time I slow it down 20% percent the quality is poor, not to mention the extra time it demands every morning!

Gordon
09-17-2003, 09:55 AM
It has been reported by those of us who volunteered our time to test this product and will no doubt be fixed very soon. Newtek has a very good history of releasing fixes. VT[2] had seven, (if memory servers me), fixes released for various things, over the course of a single year!

an obvious glitch Actually, it wasn't all that obvious, but like all imprefections, once you know about it you can't stop looking at it and then it seems SOOOO obvious.

BTW, I see that you are a newbie. Welcome! I sincerly hope you will help us all as a community of users make VT[3] a better product.

bobby
10-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Well, unfortunately, after patching VT3 with the first patch released, the CG scrolls still do not go any slower than 6. Anyone else still have this problem?

I guess it wasn't fixed in the first patch...hopefully it will by the 2nd.