PDA

View Full Version : Collada V obj export from 9.6

M-X
05-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi there as there is so much buzz about Core and the Collada format I thought I would test out the export from 9.6. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I exported a model as .dae and the same model as .obj to compare.
When I loaded them back into lightwave the collada had No, smoothing, textures or surface info and all surfaces in surface editor were duplicated and doubled up. Not great.
The object file was great, all smoothing, textures and surface info with surfaces in surface editor just with the added note of 'smoothing' next to it when relevant.

So is this correct and it is only with Core that Collada will come into play and for now if exporting for other 3D applications stick to .obj?
Will the Core Collada format work well with 3dmax as I am being asked more and more if lightwave is compatible with max?

One last thing, for simple models of furniture etc. will .obj work well if somebody is using 3d max? As the 3ds export does not seem to work very well.
Thanks, look forward to some help/clarification.

toddpickens
08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
No idea. I have spent the whole day (rather than getting my work done) trying to first figure out if I was doing something wrong when exporting a collada file from LW9.6, then the rest of the day trying to find out how to solve LW's stripping Normals information from the exported file.

Is there a fix for this??? or is the whole "collada support" in lightwave a stick and carrot to get us to buy CORE.

jaxtone
08-14-2009, 02:03 AM
I think it has less to do with the CORE purchase factor than the fact that Lightwave´s old engine sucks when it comes to import/export functions.

I remember when I first asked for a better import/export workflow in 1997 and everyone was bullying me for being such an A-hole and ask for such crappy things. The NT team in U.S. didn´t even bother...

So if CORE will do the job I salute it! But until then Collada in LW is a proven joke, at least to me.

No idea. I have spent the whole day (rather than getting my work done) trying to first figure out if I was doing something wrong when exporting a collada file from LW9.6, then the rest of the day trying to find out how to solve LW's stripping Normals information from the exported file.

Is there a fix for this??? or is the whole "collada support" in lightwave a stick and carrot to get us to buy CORE.

dogbite
08-14-2009, 05:52 AM
.dae doesnt work in 9.6, believe me ive tried.
what does work is .fbx, but with some tweaking.

when saving fbx it saves the location of the path of the textures, it doesnt embedd the files like mayas fbx exporter does.
so when transfering it to other ppl keep the textures at the same place.
another way of fixing this, which is really really messy and annoying is to save everything on your local drive i.e c:\
what this does is just think there isnt a path.. (stupid huh, but i had to make game models and animation this way)

now about scene files, it tranfers things ok, but again kind of off.
locations, rotation and scale are ok (although scale has a global scale option in the export) animation is a bit tricky.

lightwave doesnt have skinning information, which is good for lightwave bad for every other program and game engine . ( the weight map isnt the right skinning and it wont get transferred).

you know all the cool bone tools and skelegons you got, well dont use them. they will **** the bones up upon import.
only build bones in layout with = and rotate...

thats about it.

jwiede
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
If it were a "limitation of the old Lightwave engine", then you'd expect the old FBX plugins from Kaydara(->Autodesk) to show similar issues. Yet the old plugins actually work quite adequately, typically much better than Valkyrie's FBX (or Collada) import/export abilities.

Built-in FBX and Collada I/O for interchange were big selling points for V9. Unfortunately, Valkyrie's current functionality is limited at best, often useless for animation or scene interchange, or much beyond .OBJ-type storage IME. Worse, given Valkyrie's current state, it makes Newtek's statements about strong Collada support in CORE seem a bit...questionable.

I'm hoping 9.6.1 fixes many of the problems (and that Newtek does extensive regression testing against the Collada Test Model Library, etc.). Leaving the Valkyrie issues unaddressed before closing the door on LW V9 seems like a decision that could really damage their reputation in the long run.

jaxtone
08-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Well, of what I´ve experienced the old Lightwave engine reminds more of a torned weave with large holes in than a foundation to build NT´s 3D future on. Isn´t this one of the GREAT reasons NT now wants to leave the old platform. To me it´s quite obvious that Lightwave´s import/export functions been pretty disabled compared with competitive brands that much earlier understood that industrial standards wasn´t spelled LWO or LWS... :D

But let me ask you this without taking a debate on the depth if LW´s engine was better in ancient times than it is now. To me it is pretty clear that the import/export functions in Lightwave always have been lame:

A Collada interface with fully functional import/export capacity from/to Lightwave is compatible with which other external formats?

If it were a "limitation of the old Lightwave engine", then you'd expect the old FBX plugins from Kaydara(->Autodesk) to show similar issues. Yet the old plugins actually work quite adequately, typically much better than Valkyrie's FBX (or Collada) import/export abilities.

Built-in FBX and Collada I/O for interchange were big selling points for V9. Unfortunately, Valkyrie's current functionality is limited at best, often useless for animation or scene interchange, or much beyond .OBJ-type storage IME. Worse, given Valkyrie's current state, it makes Newtek's statements about strong Collada support in CORE seem a bit...questionable.

I'm hoping 9.6.1 fixes many of the problems (and that Newtek does extensive regression testing against the Collada Test Model Library, etc.). Leaving the Valkyrie issues unaddressed before closing the door on LW V9 seems like a decision that could really damage their reputation in the long run.

toddpickens
10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. For some reason I'm not getting notifications of the posted responses.

By the way, To get a usable Collada file out of LW export it as an obj and then import it into DAZ 3D, their COLLADA export seems to work ok, at least for a skinned mesh. I have not tried anything with weight or animation however.

I was considering CORE. For over ten years of being a super loyal LW user, But unless they do some serious catching up (and I sure hope they do), I'm sad to say that I'm going move to a different app before I spend another dime with them.

WCameron
10-06-2009, 07:13 PM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Downloads/

- Will.