PDA

View Full Version : CFM or UB?

DrStrik9
05-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I have a quad core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, so I "arbitrarily" installed the Universal Binary version of LW 9.6 (today), as opposed to installing the CFM version, which I reasoned would run as slowly as, say, Photoshop running in Rosetta mode (not so good).

What are the pros and cons of either choice?

For one, FPrime isn't available yet under UB. :-/

Thanks for any wisdom on this ... :-)

Michael

JeffrySG
05-09-2009, 12:16 AM
There are a bunch of threads on this topic around but the UB is the way to go. It will run much better and faster for you. If you need to use a CFM plugin then you'll need to run the CFM version. You can have them both on your machine at the same time although I wouldn't run them at the same time. Personally, I only use the CFM version to use the PLG UV tools - but it drives me crazy when I have to use it.

lwanmtr
05-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Unless you have plugins that you cant live without, UB is your best bet. I dont even install CFM version..fprime would be the only reason for me, but i have learned to live without it.

garynb
05-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Hi All

I can't load the plg uv plugins in the CFM version of lightwave. I get an error saying can't load external plugin. I'm on an mac intel machine but the previous posts suggested that it was possible.

Anyone have any ideas.

Cheers

Gary

garynb
05-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Never mind I must have been using an older set of PLG Plugins, just downloaded from website the osx version and its working.

Cheers

Gary