PDA

View Full Version : cmdLine question

DrStrik9
05-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I posted this in another area, but thought better of it when I found this Mac Support area ...

I'm accustomed to using cmdLine files with LW 8.5 and earlier - I just upgraded to 9.6 TODAY (woo-HOO)!!! - but maybe I'm not placing them in the right place? The LW 9 User Manual says to place them in the "Programs" directory. But on the Mac (quad core Xeon Mac Pro running LW in UB), there IS NO programs directory. So I placed the cmdLine files WITH the apps.

However, they just don't do what they should. I have run (and quit) BOTH Modeler and Layout (as the docs say to do), but the prefs files are not being written to the locations specified. :-/ (As they successfully do under 8.5)

They are NOT rich text, but are regular text, with no file extension in the file names, as per usual.

---
Here is my "LightWave cmdLine" file:

-c"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Layout" -p"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Layout"

and my "Modeler cmdLine" file:

-c"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Modeler" -p"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Modeler"
---

Yes, I have spelled all my directory names correctly, and all of them do exist as listed in the cmdLine paths.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Michael

DrStrik9
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
hmmm ... could this cmdLine issue not working be related to the fact that I am using the Universal Binary version of LW, as opposed to the CFM version?

Thanks,
Michael

DrStrik9
05-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Dang, I am cursed. Born to be a beta tester. LOL

Yup, to test this theory, I downloaded the 9.6 CFM version, and lo and behold, the cmdLine files WORK AS ADVERTISED. So at this point I am reasonably convinced that this issue of cmdLine files NOT WORKING is a BUG with the Universal Binary version of LW 9.6.

Michael

eblu
05-11-2009, 03:08 PM
drStrik9,
I think that is intended behavior. Its been so long now, but I think the 9->UB cycle did away with cmdlines. something about nobody using them anyway.

Scazzino
05-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes the UB does not use the cmdline files, only CFM.

For LW UB you disable the hub by renaming it and you redirect the configs by making a folder named Preferences in the program folder.