PDA

View Full Version : I can See...I can see...

THREEL
05-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Hip Hip Hooray!!!! I got my self a brand spanking new monitor. It's an Acer 20" Flat Screen. Model #: X203H. I think I got it at a good price, 140 bucks+Tax. Screen Ratio is 16:9. It seems a little stretched out, but I guess I have to just get used to it.

I Auto Configured it, but it still seems awfully bright. I even backed off the brightness level, manually. I'd like to keep multiple tools open in modeler and/or layout, and have my viewports in the middle. I'm running ver. 8.5. Is this possible?

ted
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Great monitor. But I just got the same one for $89.99. Where did you buy it?
You should talk to them about getting a price match. The best part of the story is that I'm kidding. But I do have several Acer monitors and I've been happy with them. Sorry for kidding with ya. I just felt ornery after you sounded so happy with the price. :D

THREEL
05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Great monitor. But I just got the same one for $89.99. Where did you buy it?
You should talk to them about getting a price match. The best part of the story is that I'm kidding. But I do have several Acer monitors and I've been happy with them. Sorry for kidding with ya. I just felt ornery after you sounded so happy with the price. :D

Ya ornery critter! (I need a Yosemite Sam Smilie right about here.)

Sounds like something I'd pull... :D

I think you need to find another setting for the screen resolution. If it looks stretched out, it's definitely wrong.

According to the instructions, 1600 x 900 is the resolution your supposed to set it on, if the system supports it, which mine does.

The funny thing is the forum and :lwicon: stretches all the way across the screen, meanwhile, MSN's home page is more like a square in the middle with a wide amount of blank space on each side.

sampei
05-09-2009, 08:03 PM
so is Acer good ? i was planning on getting a 22'' from play.com since they're quite cheap...

ted
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
"Good" is like a Ford vs. Chevy or MAC vs. PC question. :D But I've been very happy with the four we have and the price is no doubt competitive.

THREEL, thanks for understanding my humor. After dealing with clients all week I needed a laugh! :hey:

SBowie
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I'm on my system all day long, and usually have scads of programs open ... so I'm running twin 24" Samsungs at 1920x1200 each and lovin' it. :D

cresshead
05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
acer are okay..my 24" colours are poo though..my 19" acer is much better
if i had the cash i'd go for a dell...but i have to pay for 3dsmax subs so there goes that idea!

bazsa73
05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I just got an acer a week ago for my old workstation, it's full HD and if you look at it from a perfectly perpendicular angle then a small portion of the screen in the middle is ok :)

borkus
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Just picked up a Dell 22"... Oh my. So much more room. And, like Threel said. There is a good solid foot of dead space in the middle of the page now. Which is awesome. But, some sites don't do that. Why is that? Is that something you can change in your browser or is it how they wrote the code for the page?

meatycheesyboy
05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
It just has to do with how the page was written. Most pages are fixed width, meaning you will see lots of blank space on either side of the page on a wide screen monitor. The alternative is a page that dynamically stretches. Most designer prefer fixed width because it gives them much more control over the presentation of content.

THREEL
05-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Actually, I have a question in the support section about how to keep a reference image on top, and I just dawned on me that I could resize my :lwicon: modeler window down a little and have room to keep the image off to one side, open, and unobstructed.

Someday, I'd like to go the dual monitor route, but I just bought this one. So, it'll be a while. $$$

lwanmtr
05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I just ordered a Samsung 22" to replace my 19"..was only $189 after $20 rebate..and samsung is pretty good..my 19 is still going strong after a couple years...I looked at the Acer, but decided to go Samsung, since I know they're generally good.

THREEL
05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
I just ordered a Samsung 22" to replace my 19"..was only $189 after $20 rebate..and samsung is pretty good..my 19 is still going strong after a couple years...I looked at the Acer, but decided to go Samsung, since I know they're generally good.

Now, ya tell me. :D

lwanmtr
05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Isnt great to hear stuff after you already got something? specially when the thing you just bought goes on sale the next day for 50% off...lol

THREEL
05-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Isnt great to hear stuff after you already got something? specially when the thing you just bought goes on sale the next day for 50% off...lol

That's what usually happens to me. I got my Acer @ Best Buy for 130 bucks. I tought that was a good deal. They offered that 4 year protection plan for an extra 30, but when I saw that the manufacturer's warranty was for 3 years, parts and labor, I thought I'd take a chance on year 4.

Snosrap
05-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Speaking of monitors - and I don't mean to hi-jack your thread Al - but I just bought a Dell 22" widescreen E228WFP at my local Wal-mart for $165. I have not opened or set it up yet as I wanted to do some research to see if was any good before I took it out of the box in case I want to take it back. Do any of you have any experience with this monitor and is it any good? Thanks --Also thanks Al for letting me piggyback your thread, lets get together sometime.

jburford
05-16-2009, 12:41 AM
I feel a conspiracy in the works. . . all of the LW users of NW Ohio are buying new monitors...

meatycheesyboy
05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Speaking of monitors - and I don't mean to hi-jack your thread Al - but I just bought a Dell 22" widescreen E228WFP at my local Wal-mart for $165. I have not opened or set it up yet as I wanted to do some research to see if was any good before I took it out of the box in case I want to take it back. Do any of you have any experience with this monitor and is it any good? Thanks --Also thanks Al for letting me piggyback your thread, lets get together sometime.

Dell's E series of monitors are their lowest end monitors. They are made with what are known as TN panels. TN panels have very low response rates but have low viewing angles (usually between 150-165) and have poor color reproduction. If you aren't working on something that is color sensitive like print or if you're just watching movies or playing games then TN monitors are great. If you're doing something color sensitive, I would recommend using an MVA, PVA (these two are mid-rage), IPS, or SIPS (these are high end) monitor, just be prepared to pay more for those monitors. Alot of people are happy with TN monitors and alot of people swear to never use them. It really depends on the person.

I run three monitors and use an IPS monitor for my center screen and use TN monitors for my two outside monitors. Works great for me.

Snosrap
05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I feel a conspiracy in the works. . . all of the LW users of NW Ohio are buying new monitors...

Just getting out of the dark ages!:D

Snosrap
05-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Dell's E series of monitors are their lowest end monitors. They are made with what are known as TN panels. TN panels have very low response rates but have low viewing angles (usually between 150-165) and have poor color reproduction. If you aren't working on something that is color sensitive like print or if you're just watching movies or playing games then TN monitors are great. If you're doing something color sensitive, I would recommend using an MVA, PVA (these two are mid-rage), IPS, or SIPS (these are high end) monitor, just be prepared to pay more for those monitors. Alot of people are happy with TN monitors and alot of people swear to never use them. It really depends on the person.

I run three monitors and use an IPS monitor for my center screen and use TN monitors for my two outside monitors. Works great for me.

Do manufactures list on the box or marketing materials the type of panels being used? Viewing angle for me is not a concern and neither is speed, but it will be nice not to have a trail on my mouse. Color I suppose is in the eye of the beholder to certain extent. I don't do any print work anyway, so I'll just have to judge for myself as to color. Thanks for the input.

meatycheesyboy
05-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Do manufactures list on the box or marketing materials the type of panels being used? Viewing angle for me is not a concern and neither is speed, but it will be nice not to have a trail on my mouse. Color I suppose is in the eye of the beholder to certain extent. I don't do any print work anyway, so I'll just have to judge for myself as to color. Thanks for the input.

They usually don't list the type of panel. The easiest tells are usually the viewing angles and the response times. If the viewing angle is anything lower than 178 / 178 then it's probably a TN. If the response time is lower than 6ms then it's probably a TN.

As I said though, alot of people are perfectly happy with TN monitors. They offer a great value. It sounds like you've weighed the pros and cons and will likely love your new monitor. Congratulations, new monitors are always exciting purchases (for me at least).

JamesCurtis
05-16-2009, 03:41 PM
About 6 months ago [for Xmas] I bought a pair of 24" Sceptre 1080P 16:10 widescreen monitors for my new Intel Core i7 PC system [$1400]. I paid $200 each for the monitors from the Microcenter in my area. They work and look great!! Can't recall the model number right now, though.

BTW, I'm in Ohio too.

THREEL
05-16-2009, 04:50 PM

:hijack: :D

Hey! That's my local Wal-Mart, too! I'm not sure about Dell. I looked at a couple of them @ BB, also. They seemed pretty nice, but then again, I'm not an expert on monitors. I strictly went on price with mine, but maybe you get what you pay for.

Yeah, got to play some ping-pong sometime.

You too, Jeff? :thumbsup:

As I said though, alot of people are perfectly happy with TN monitors. They offer a great value. It sounds like you've weighed the pros and cons and will likely love your new monitor. Congratulations, new monitors are always exciting purchases (for me at least).

It especially was for me, since it was getting where I couldn't see anybody's work here on the forum. When I got mine, I could see how bright my renders were. It was sort of embarrassing to see some of them that I had entered in the Speed Modeling contests. It made sense why I had to crank the Light brightness way up to see my scenes in Layout.

BTW, I'm in Ohio too.

It looks like we're going to have to start an Ohio :lwicon: Users' Group. :thumbsup:

Snosrap
05-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Well I set 'er up tonight. Wow it's big! Before I connected it I thought I would be smart and download and install the latest ATI drivers. They were just released in March, Layout had corrupted windows and Modeler had polys that looked like background geometry and Core just crashed on start-up and FPrime rendered nothing but black. I rolled back the driver to one dated Feb 2007 and everything works fine. This Dell monitor seems to be really nice. I think it was worth $165!

THREEL
05-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Well I set 'er up tonight. Wow it's big! Before I connected it I thought I would be smart and download and install the latest ATI drivers. They were just released in March, Layout had corrupted windows and Modeler had polys that looked like background geometry and Core just crashed on start-up and FPrime rendered nothing but black. I rolled back the driver to one dated Feb 2007 and everything works fine. This Dell monitor seems to be really nice. I think it was worth $165!

Sweeeettt!!! :thumbsup: What you still doing up? I know you could say the same thing to me, huh. :D

IMI
05-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Congrats on your new monitor, Al. :thumbsup:

I like Acer. I have four of them, two 24's and two 22's. The 24" ones are both rather new.
Beware of those Acer drivers though. IMO, they load the wrong ICC profile and set everything to too warm, color wise. I didn't like the Acer drivers and I just use the standard "generic" Microsoft driver for all my monitors.
If you do print work though you might want to use them since a program like Photoshop will use that ICC info for color correction.

Yeah it was a shock for me too going from a 4:3 CRT to a 16:9 LCD. Especially Modeler - I kept wanting to squish it all together to make it look more normal. ;)
You get used to it though. As for a dual monitor setup - I can tell you, once you try it you'll never want to go back to a single monitor.

lwanmtr
05-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I just got my new samsung yesterday..and going from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080 is a huge difference....sooooo much landscape to play with..hehe.

Yeah, took me a few times in modeler to realize that the buttons i have along the bottom arent crowded at the side anymore..lol

The only thing thats a little different (might just be the resolution), but it looks a bit brighter on the desktop (less black), but in photoshop all is fine.

Overall, I am quite pleased with my new monitor :)

moondog
05-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Just bought an Acer 24" , 1920 x 1200, from Staples for $229. Unbelievable. It makes working in lightwave a dream. And yes when you draw a square it is fully square. Set your aspect correctly.
Yes, it was very bright. It is the gamma setting that needs to be adjusted. I used the utility provided with the NVidia 9800gt card to set the gamma. Also Adobe Gamma utility works well. Also is XP I changed the background color for the windows to an off-white.
The angle of view though is rather poor. You have to be looking straight on or the sides fade out. But who cares at that price and with that much screen size.