PDA

View Full Version : cmdLine question

DrStrik9
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm accustomed to using cmdLine files with LW 8.5 and earlier - I just upgraded to 9.6 TODAY (woo-HOO)!!! - but maybe I'm not placing them in the right place? The LW 9 User Manual says to place them in the "Programs" directory. But on the Mac (quad core Xeon Mac Pro running LW in UB), there IS NO programs directory. So I placed the cmdLine files WITH the apps.

However, they just don't do what they should. I have run (and quit) BOTH Modeler and Layout (as the docs say to do), but the prefs files are not being written to the locations specified. :-/

They are NOT rich text, but are regular text, with no file extension in the file names, as per usual.

---
Here is my "LightWave cmdLine" file:

-c"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Layout" -p"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Layout"

and my "Modeler cmdLine" file:

-c"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Modeler" -p"Michael HD:Applications:LightWave3D 9.6:CurrentPREFS:Modeler"
---

Yes, I have spelled all my directory names correctly, and all of them do exist as listed in the cmdLine paths.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Michael

Cohen
05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Hmm, I don't use a Mac, but do have a few thoughts. Does Mac allow you to have spaces | periods in the paths specified? I know on my network, the paths are limited to only characters; numbers; and underscores. Any spaces, periods, asteriks etc, will break network pathing. Not sure if this is an issue with local paths on a mac or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

One more thing, I specify the configs for both layout and modeler to be the same directory, and that directory is always different for the various versions of lightwave I have. Hopefully I have provided some ideas for you. :)

ramccombe
05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I just have a folder called "Preferences" (no quotes) in my Lightwave UB folder and in there you put your license.key file and it will save your config files there. You only need command line files on the CFM version of LightWave. Hope this helped.:thumbsup:

DrStrik9
05-09-2009, 01:47 PM
That is very interesting! :-)

I did a system-wide search for "license.key" and found NOTHING relating to the UB version of LW (I found all the older ones, and the CFM one, but nothing for UB). My plan, according to what you said, was to find it, and move it to a "Prefs" folder inside the LW (UB) directory.

So I just copied the license.key from my CFM version to my UB version.

But this did NOT work as you said. Running and quitting Modeler and Layout "should" put the prefs there, but it did not do so.

So I have a question for you: when you originally entered your license key for your UB LW, where did LW put the license.key file, and what is it called?

Thanks,
Michael

DrStrik9
05-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmm, I don't use a Mac, but do have a few thoughts. Does Mac allow you to have spaces | periods in the paths specified? I know on my network, the paths are limited to only characters; numbers; and underscores. Any spaces, periods, asteriks etc, will break network pathing. Not sure if this is an issue with local paths on a mac or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

One more thing, I specify the configs for both layout and modeler to be the same directory, and that directory is always different for the various versions of lightwave I have. Hopefully I have provided some ideas for you. :)

Yes, OS X allows spaces in file and directory names. (LightWave itself puts a space in the primary LW directory name when it is installed: "LightWave3D 9.6".) This has always been the case, and it was a problem for LW in the old days, but not any longer, thankfully, since from the beginning, OS X has put a space in harddrive names. lol

As to the single prefs directory, I have used the cmdLine files to place prefs for both the apps prefs and their respective plugin prefs in separate folders (one for Layout, one for Modeler) for as long as I can remember using LW (since 5.6). I have also done this under Windows LW.

Cheers,
Michael

DrStrik9
05-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I just have a folder called "Preferences" (no quotes) in my Lightwave UB folder and in there you put your license.key file and it will save your config files there. You only need command line files on the CFM version of LightWave. Hope this helped.:thumbsup:

Hmm, weird. I found the original UB license.key (not sure why a search failed to see it earlier), and I moved it to a new folder inside the LW UB primary folder. But LW ran in Demo mode, and this did NOT cause the prefs to be written to that folder.

???

Could you please elaborate further?

Thanks,
Michael

ramccombe
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure of the original location but the 2 places I would check is /Users/you/Library/Application\ Support/LightWave3D/ or /Users/you/Library/Preferences/LightWave/. The 9.6 UB build allows the Preferences folder to live in the LightWave folder which I prefer but the key file must live there and no where else. You should have 2 separate License.key files one for your CFM and one for the UB. You must create a folder inside the LightWave UB folder called Preferences and put the key file in there.

DrStrik9
05-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure of the original location but the 2 places I would check is /Users/you/Library/Application\ Support/LightWave3D/ or /Users/you/Library/Preferences/LightWave/. The 9.6 UB build allows the Preferences folder to live in the LightWave folder which I prefer but the key file must live there and no where else. You should have 2 separate License.key files one for your CFM and one for the UB. You must create a folder inside the LightWave UB folder called Preferences and put the key file in there.

Yup, THANKS! :-)

It was the folder name "Preferences" that did it. Wish the docs were clearer on this, but I guess that's a never-ending story, keeping those up. Actually the LW docs are VERY good.

Michael

ramccombe
05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Glad I could help.:thumbsup: