PDA

View Full Version : Autocal dialogue w/"Drive Indexing Off?" Prompt in VT[5]: Gone?

Quiet1onTheSet
05-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Q1. Veteran VT users: What ever happened to that neat text box that used to be visible to the user, informing us of the progress during "AutoCalibration" in VT[2] thru VT[4]? Is this totally gone in VT[5]?

Q2. Apparently, after the AutoCal routine, one still must manually go in to each drive, and turn drive indexing off. Is this correct?

Q3. Also, do you suggest turning it off for every drive that will contain Video and audio -- or for every drive in the system? Thanks in advance.

billmi
05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
1 - I think what happened, is they didn't put it in VT[5].
2 - Yes, it's up to you whether or not you want drive indexing to be on or off.
3 - Your call. I don't have it on for any of my drives, as I would rather have a rarely used drive search take longer, than have all of my operations to my video or system drives be slowed down a tiny bit.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-08-2009, 06:45 PM
3 - Your call. I don't have it on for any of my drives, as I would rather have a rarely used drive search take longer, than have all of my operations to my video or system drives be slowed down a tiny bit.I'm with *you* on that one, Billmi. Thanks for your reply.

billmi
05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, it's one of those "pay now or pay later" kind of things.
I'd rather pay for it only when I'm using it.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Come to think of it, I've got the suspicion that that AutoCalibration routine for VT[5], has the visual feedback in the way of text info removed (or at least, hidden from our prying eyes), to accommodate those sweakly-clean, far less intimidating TriCaster builds!

Hmmmmm?
:question:

SBowie
05-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Peter, I know what you mean above, but just for those that don't - you are confusing "AutoConfig" with "AutoCal" (and since you ask, my practice is to leave indexing on for C, and turn it off form my array).

Quiet1onTheSet
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Peter, I know what you mean above, but just for those that don't - you are confusing "AutoConfig" with "AutoCal" (and since you ask, my practice is to leave indexing on for C, and turn it off form my array). OK, but I surmised that I wasn't confusing the two:

(Assuming that TriCaster does provide the user an "AutoCal" option (I've assumed it does), how does one access it, Stevo?

I'm thinking it's not readily apparent to the TriCaster owner, but that it's somehow there, and is activated when first starting TriCaster.

Ah, but this opens up another question: Is there a way to effect TriCaster's AutoCal at the whim of the enduser?
:tcicon:
:stumped:

SBowie
05-11-2009, 05:26 AM
OK, but I surmised that I wasn't confusing the two:Yeah, you were, but it would be fairly easy to do. Not only does VT's Autoconfig sound a bit like Autocal, it optionally performs an Autocal, just like it offers a drive indexing option - which is how I caught the confusion.

(Assuming that TriCaster does provide the user an "AutoCal" option (I've assumed it does), how does one access it, Stevo?

I'm thinking it's not readily apparent to the TriCaster owner, but that it's somehow there, and is activated when first starting TriCaster.
OK, so now we're changing the topic from VT to TC, right? (Just for those following along ...)

"Calibrate Using Loop-Through" in TC's Input Setup performs a quick calibration of all inputs - I won't repeat the manual's remarks on it, but I think this is what you have in mind.

Quiet1onTheSet
06-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Peter, I know what you mean above, but just for those that don't - you are confusing "AutoConfig" with "AutoCal" (and since you ask, my practice is to leave indexing on for C, and turn it off form my array).
You know, Steve -- I think I'm finally getting what you were driving at.
On the VT[5] system, "AutoCalibration (a.k.a. "AutoCal") is an optional subset of AutoConfiguration (a.k.a. AutoConfig).

If I've finally got it, then "Thanks" for your clarifications.
8~