PDA

View Full Version : Possible to animate bone rest length/strength?

Travelling Matt
05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I know it sounds contradictory in terms but is there a way of animating a bones rest length or strength via an expression or another method?

I have some 'stabiliser' bones parented to an upper arm bone to maintain the volume in the shoulder as the arm bends.
However they are set up for the heading axis and I would like their influence to proportionatley diminish on the pitch....

Any suggestions are welcome!

adamredwoods
05-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Youch thats a complex answer. THe ultimate answer is yes, you can change that stuff through the LW SDK, but it's not clean. It'd be a hack.

Do you use LW 9.6? Joints may work better for what you want.

Another trick that could be used, is to attach a child bone to the upper arm, set it to 0% strength, and point it up towards the shoulder where your other hold bone was. Then create a child bone to THAT 0% bone and now you'll have a bone that moves with the upper arm deformation, that could be used to counteract any other bones you're using.

Also, be sure to post before/after pictures of the deformation problems you are having and you'll get people to really analyze it for ya.

Travelling Matt
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks adam
Thought it might be an SDK thing.
Ive done some tweaking and I think that the set up I have now works reasonably well so I may not need to add extra bones.

Thanks again for your input