PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #37 -soapbox cars/billy carts

Kuzey
05-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #37 - soapbox cars/billy carts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - soapbox cars/billy carts and pedal cars.

Read: Model the one you had as a kid (if you were lucky to have one) or you wished to you had. Can be retro old school style or pimped out with rockets and other cool accessories...just go crazy :hey:

Time Limit - 120 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 13 May 2200 GMT.

Kuzey
05-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Here's some links just to get the ball rolling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_kart

and

http://www.retroantiques.com.au/PedalCars/Index.html

Kuzey

colkai
05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Cool idea Kuzey! :)

RollerJesus
05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Great topic, hoping to get to this one!

JeffrySG
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Very cool. I never had one, but it sure looks like fun... :D

Nangleator
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Hmm. 2 hours might be enough for a steampunk entry, if that makes sense.

Kuzey
05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I would have loved to have one as well...they are too cool.

Ooooh...I'll like to see a steampunk version :D

I thought two hours would cover those who wanted to go as complex as possible :)

Kuzey

adamredwoods
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Kuzey, are you banned? If you are, I think we get extra days for this week's challenge-- so take your time people! Or enter twice!

COBRASoft
05-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey all,

First time I try something like this. Modelling was about 2 hours. Surfacing about 30 minutes.

Greetings,
Sigurd

IMI
05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
As always, real nice model, Sigurd. :thumbsup:

Kuzey, are you banned? If you are, I think we get extra days for this week's challenge-- so take your time people! Or enter twice!

How do you expect him to answer that, Adam? ;)

Yeah, Kuzey got [temp] banned. Or as it was stated, "in the 'sad corner' for 7 days".
And personally I think it sucks. What he said, the other guy most definitely asked for, but really, Kuzey didn't even say anything that bad. Not as bad as some of the stuff which gets written around here regularly that doesn't result in a ban. The only problem is, he did it in a high profile thread where all the bigwigs were hanging out...
But Kuzey got attacked big time, out of the blue, harshly, and for no apparent reason. He responded allot more diplomatically than I would have...

So that happened yesterday, and Kuzey is supposed to vote for the winner of this week's challenge, which means that I guess we should have an extra two days, since he won't be able to come back and vote until next Friday or maybe Saturday.
Not sure how it works, though - this is the first time this has happened. I would have expected it to be me first though, not Kuzey. ;)

colkai
05-10-2009, 03:48 AM
That sucks, There's been a lot of bad blood around again lately, Kuzey has been a good contributor to the forums so I can't wait for him to be back.
Hopefully he can pop in a a guest at least and see how the challenge is progressing. ;)

robert_Lavigne
05-10-2009, 11:23 AM
What thread might I ask is this battle taking place in?

Oedo 808
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I won't bother with the usual "I hope to enter this one, blah blah blah..." It's getting embarassing now.

But Kuzey getting banned? Give me break, I didn't see what was written but I don't need to to know that what IMI says is right. Well, enjoy your break Kuzey :thumbsup:

Boy am I peeved, I really wanted to get my tromboner entry in, downloaded references and all, for the trombone part that is!

What were you thinking? ;)

I've got plenty of reference for the rest right here... erm.. a good place to exit me thinks.

COBRASoft
05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
As always, real nice model, Sigurd. :thumbsup:

Thanks IMI!

Kuzey, see you back soon. While you're banned, you have plenty of time to make a kickass model for this challenge :D

colkai
05-11-2009, 02:18 AM
I won't bother with the usual "I hope to enter this one, blah blah blah..." It's getting embarassing now.
You too huh?
I'm so swamped with life determined to make things "interesting" for me lately it's pee-ing me off. Ahh well, at least it's sunny today. :)

BlueApple
05-11-2009, 06:42 AM
23 minutes on this one. The texturing and rendering are a nightmare, so I may tighten those up later.

Yamba
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Memories of my youth.

Good old aussie billycart, pram wheels on the front, ball bearings on the rear, an old waterski from a mates dad and lots of bolts and washers. We used to sit on the rear T and steer with your feet on the front axle.Go out and find a big hill with a footpath and fly down as fast as possible, the excitement all happened when you hit any bends or corners, those ball bearing rears would just slide out and you'd spend most of your time going flat out and sideways.

80 minutes to model (that included two false starts). Texturing took a while.

Shane

adamredwoods
05-13-2009, 03:03 AM
quick one. "scrappy gocart" about 60 minutes modeling.

busy week. maybe I'll try one more before Kuzy returns.

flakester
05-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Ace stuff so far everyone! :thumbsup:
Hope to get something in myself soon too.

--
flakester

MooseDog
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
hope this makes the cut! :help:

THREEL
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Soooo....Do we have a couple extra days on this one, or not?

Just askin'. I have an idea, but have been too busy as of late.

COBRASoft
05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Soooo....Do we have a couple extra days on this one, or not?

Just askin'. I have an idea, but have been too busy as of late.

I guess so, almost no entries this week so far. Perhaps we can wait till Friday for this challenge. In the meantime Kuzey should be back...

AdamAvenali
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
if we wait until friday i promise to get something in :thumbsup:

down_in_black
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Here is my try at this. First time I do a speed modelling thing. It's a good exercise, will try and join up for more in the future. Modelling within the 2 hours.

Hope you like it.

robert_Lavigne
05-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey Yamba, I love your cart. When I was in Auz a few years back me and some friends found one of those behind a dumpster and had a blast riding it down some hills. Many a scraped knee and palm were had that day.

IMI
05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
if we wait until friday i promise to get something in :thumbsup:

Yeah, same here. ;)
I just can't find the time these days, though I have a model with about an hour and a half in it, just needs a few minor touchups and a render. Still...time...time, never enough.

Great entries all around this time! :thumbsup:

IMI
05-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Just to show I actually did something.... but I didn't finish. Hence, no render, and this is not an official entry .
Was fun though - wish I had had more time. :)
I call this"Mario Andretti's Soap Box Car" ;)

Modeling time a little over an hour and a half.

RudySchneider
05-14-2009, 07:49 PM
IMI --- reminds me of a weird-ish car from the old Wacky Races cartoon series, eons ago...

AdamAvenali
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
what kid wouldnt love a mario kart inspired soap box derby car? haha

modeling time: 1 hour

Kuzey
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
I wasn't going to return here but I thought I'd better complete what I started first. Thanks for the support guys it was much appreciated :D

Anyway, it's late so I'll pick the winner tomorrow. However if you still have one in progress be sure to submit it within the next 14 hours :hey:

Here's my attempt at a pedal car...time 120 minutes.

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-15-2009, 03:08 PM
And this is what it looks like so far...almost done. Just need some tweaks and the underside to go and then it's texture time.

Ps....All the models so far are wonderful and it's going to be hard to pick a winner :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kuzey

COBRASoft
05-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome back Kuzey! Nice soapbox you have there :)

adamredwoods
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I wasn't going to return here but I thought I'd better complete what I started first. Thanks for the support guys it was much appreciated :D

Getting banned on the LW forums is a rite of passage. ;D

Nice model, too, but you can't win your own challenge.

Hopper
05-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Getting banned on the LW forums is a rite of passage.
Man... I've got over 2,500 posts and I've never been banned.. NOT FAIR. All the other cool kids get to be banned. :cry:
(p.s. Your mom's a sIut)

IMI
05-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Man... I've got over 2,500 posts and I've never been banned.. NOT FAIR. All the other cool kids get to be banned. :cry:
(p.s. Your mom's a sIut)

I haven't gotten banned yet... which I actually have a hard time believing. Guess I've just been lucky. :D
BTW Hopper, I think you have to directly insult a user, not only his mom. ;)

Kuzey, I hope you're not thinking about avoiding this place because of that incident. The guy had it coming to him, big time, and, IMO, you did nothing wrong, certainly nothing most people wouldn't have done in the same circumstances.
Your presence on this site and in these challenges would be very sorely missed!
Great model BTW, as always, really nice. :)

Kuzey
05-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Looks like there are two categories, those built for speed and those for fun.

@ COBRASoft

First times are always great and that's what I hoped would happen. The model turned out great and looks like it can do some serious speed while still being stable.

@ BlueApple

I think if I set the limit to 20 minutes you'd still finish with a few minutes to spare :D I wouldn't have come up with a great model like that in such a time frame.

@ Yamba

Great to see the billy cart turn up. It sure looks uncomfortable without the traditional seat but a great adaptation. Being me, I would have tired to ride it like a skateboard, with the fixed ends being the front...otherwise it would have been too dangerous :hey:

@ adamredwoods

I keep coming back to this one for some reason. Not sure if it's the potential for causing the most damage on impact to the driver or that backyard quality :D

@ MooseDog

It does make the cut and then some. Looks like a green chili on wheels..I like, nice design :hey:

@ down_in_black

I do like it....the sliver bullet. Looks like it might be the fastest of the bunch, but I'm not sure how well it would handle the corners at high speeds. Would have loved to test it in real life :hey:

@ IMI

Haha...glad you had fun. Looks funky and I do like funky. It's all about taking part that counts, I haven't finished mine as well :D

@ AdamAvenali

Haha...That made me laugh out loud...I love it. Can't beat Mario, lovely modelling :D

Ready.....set......go!!!

I would have to choose the "scrappy gocart" as the winner...because I just keep going back to it. Well done Adamredwoods and every one who took part... a big :thumbsup::thumbsup: to you all.

ps.....I can truly say that none of you are idiots :hey:

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Kuzey, I hope you're not thinking about avoiding this place because of that incident. The guy had it coming to him, big time, and, IMO, you did nothing wrong, certainly nothing most people wouldn't have done in the same circumstances.

Actually, I'm more disappointed with the conduct of Newtek on that case. I was trying hard to avoid using French in that post and to be a little funny at the same time. I was expecting a warning, but not a ban period that was identical to the one that id**t got. I really got mad about that...to treat the victim equally as the attacker is F***ed Up. :hey:

Kuzey

colkai
05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Yup, I thought it harsh considering what other stuff has gone on with what I would term "long-term abusers".
Anyhoo, great to have you back Kuzey - as you can tell, you WERE missed. :)

Hopper
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
BTW Hopper, I think you have to directly insult a user, not only his mom. ;)
See .. I can't even get myself banned right... :cry:

Kuzey
05-17-2009, 06:22 AM
See .. I can't even get myself banned right... :cry:

You know...I was so peeved off by the ban I was going to start a thread called "You idiots" and invite each person to call the person above them in the thread an idiot :D

I wanted to know two things a) how long would it last before being deleted and b) How many people newtek are willing to ban at the one time. Would have been funny if only newtek staff were left in the forums for a week :hey:

I might do that after my next ban.

Kuzey

BlueApple
05-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Well done, adamredwoods- great design.

So what's the next topic? Do we have until Wednesday? :)

AdamAvenali
05-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Well done, adamredwoods- great design.

So what's the next topic? Do we have until Wednesday? :)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98699

it has been posted since wednesday the 13th :thumbsup:

BlueApple
05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98699

it has been posted since wednesday the 13th :thumbsup:

I need to start paying attention...

stevmjon
05-17-2009, 09:23 PM
kuzey
i laughed the most at your model. it's a shame you couldn't enter.

good models from everyone. people have a good sense of fun here.
i always look forward to reading the forums.

congrats to the winner.

stevmjon

adamredwoods
05-18-2009, 01:03 AM
woohoo! thanks everyone!

Kuzey
05-18-2009, 06:41 AM
kuzey
i laughed the most at your model. it's a shame you couldn't enter.

good models from everyone. people have a good sense of fun here.
i always look forward to reading the forums.

congrats to the winner.

stevmjon

Haha...thanks :hey:

I always wanted to model one of these for some time but couldn't get in the mood and used the challenge as an excuse :hey:

Kuzey