PDA

View Full Version : rotate around axis

zardoz
05-08-2009, 03:04 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but besides some 3rd party lscripts we don't have a tool to rotate around some arbitrary axis right?
It would be nice if we could:
1st. select edge
2nd. rotate selected geometry/all geometry around this edge
interactively using the left mouse button to rotate and maybe the right button to rotate faster, ctrl for 5 degrees increments.

:cry: I wish I knew how to code.

erikals
05-10-2009, 08:25 PM
yep, or something like this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u54bpBb30ao

zardoz
05-11-2009, 02:41 AM
yes kind of like that, and I have a few .lsc that do that...but it would be great for the workflow if we could simply select an edge and use the mouse to rotate connected geometry...and if we have polygons selected it would rotate the selected polygons. Rotating the connected geometry would be the default and if we select something (even not connected to the selected edge) this selection would rotate around this edge/custom axis. And I say edge because it's faster to select an edge than two points.

erikals
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
And I say edge because it's faster to select an edge than two points....

well, not quite, i mean yes, if you want to use the edge, but like this video shows, that is not always the case,...

zardoz
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
well...to choose an arbitrary axis to rotate something around it it's easier to select an edge than two points.
I use edges all the time...I used to select points for many operations, but after newtek implemented edges in modeler I use them as much as I can.
And for this I think it would be faster to select an edge to choose an axis.

and that plugin is cool...but I don't know it or where to find it. Do you know where is it available? ( I tried on flay and lwplugindb but couldn't find anything)

Paul Goodrich
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only frustrated by this. Anybody have any idea how to do this? Thanks.

erikals
05-12-2009, 02:41 PM
u r right, webpage is down...

uploaded it,
credit goes to Craig Schimmel
more info located in the .zip file...

othornton
05-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the new tool, but do Rotate Arbitrary Axis/Rotate Any Axis not work for you guys? All you need for those is a 2 point poly in the bg layer.

zardoz
05-13-2009, 09:12 AM
othornton, yep that works, and that's wxactly because of that one that I ask for this...it's a bit tedious to select points, copy, choose other layer, paste, go back to first layer, choose bg layer, select geometry, and then rotate...
what I ask is select edge, rotate....or select edge, select polygons/points, rotate.

much faster

erikals, thanks for the plugin and it kind of solves my problem for now, but it's not the perfect solution yet.

erikals
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
it's a bit buggy, but it is a bit faster than you describe, here is what u do...

select the two points,
open plugin, in numeric panel choose points,
close plugin, deselect points
open plugin over again, rotate

seems strange to have to have to open plugin, deselct, open plugin again,
but that's how it works...

zardoz
05-14-2009, 02:26 AM
yep I've noticed that...thanks for the confirmation on the procedure to use it. But I've noticed that instead of selecting two points you can select one edge (I think that edges in modeler is kind of a hack...I think it's selecting points but displayed in a different way...that's why lots of plugins that work with points work with edges too...)

imshadi
05-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Thank you. Found it extremely useful today when trying to manually place a lot of fish scales on an human arm.

Correction. Could not make it run. Is it 32-bit? Is there a 64-bit version?

imshadi
05-06-2014, 09:29 AM
It's called Transform Tool. It comes with Lightwave. Check this tutorial by Erikalst to see how to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgSXm92F1c

erikals
05-06-2014, 11:35 AM
also see the 11.5 tool > "Axis Rotate"

preview, 2 minutes into this video by Kevin >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPIwySOil2s

imshadi
05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I've been able to get going using both Transform and Axis Rotate. The Transform handle seems to have some problems detecting mouse over and proximity to the elements. The rotate handles work better when you zoom out to a certain distance, by keeping another perspective window with independent zoom I can still look at what I'm doing. It's a really good tool, needs a bit of tweaking, but I do like it!

jeric_synergy
05-07-2014, 01:50 AM
also see the 11.5 tool > "Axis Rotate"

preview, 2 minutes into this video by Kevin >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPIwySOil2s
What's this tool called in the Menu Editor? SEARCHING doesn't locate an "Axis Rotate" here, and apparently none of my presets include it. (11.6.2)

(I really don't like it when the menu name and the common name of tools are not the same, or at least similar. This has been a long-standing annoyance.)

imshadi
05-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Here is a screenshot of where to find it. It is called AxisRotate (no spaces). This one works very well and I like the help elements on the interface.

jeric_synergy
05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks Oliver.

Now I'm trying to remember why it's under "Sequence"-- there's a reason, but I disremember it....

UH OH: 11.6.2, "AxisRotate" not found in Menu Editor via Search, and Sequence category missing ....

Is "AxisRotate" part of a Newtek/LW3dG set of plugins? If somehow they didn't get added they wouldn't show up in the M.Editor.