PDA

View Full Version : randomize particle emmision start generating from parent-emitter pfx - ideas?

ghoulgirl
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Basically i have a pfx file i have baked out from maya - I need to use this to drive my particles in lightwave.
I am using the parent-emitter to generate my particles.
I need to randomize the generation/emission start points over time - I can do this by enveloping the birth rate, but there are a lot of them, and i would have to make many different pfx files (and delete a lot of nodes) to have the start seem random.
I tried making various collision planes, and having them generate from the event, but then they lose the consistant motion from my parent emitter inconsitantly, as well as after the collision i need them to keep generating until death.
Any ideas here? Is there some way I can get each node or groups of nodes to start emitting at random times, and once they start, they don't stop?

think fireworks that don't always start burning from their central point.

It may turn out I have to set this up manually, but any help or ideas to save time here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

krista

Nangleator
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
The randomness could come from the birth of a parent's particles, no? And each parent particle would spawn that pfx file from the beginning.

ghoulgirl
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
trick is that i need to use the maya baked out pfx as the parent to keep the motion. This is combining with maya generated passes, so needs to be the same.
this parent pfx file (generated in maya) all starts/births from a central point.
I need to birth randomly from there, while maintaining the parent motion paths etc.

ghoulgirl
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
or maybe there is a way i can tie the birth and vibration to a value pulled from the life/duration of the parent-emitter?

Nangleator
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Sounds like that wouldn't be random, at all.

I don't know if this would be helpful, because I'm not clear enough on particles and parent-emitters, but there's a trick to adding universal 'node' information.

Set up a null with Noisy Channel modifiers on whatever channels. Then try to tie in your variables to the current X value (or whatever) of the null. Can you do this with particles? I don't know.