PDA

View Full Version : PETER GABRIEL influences on Battlestar Galactica!

prometheus
05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Well..ever since I saw and heard the very first battlestar galactica( modern series) I could directly spot influences from Peter Gabriel.

I just came a cross a clip on youtube of a scene with starbuck when she
is trying to wipe out the painting on the wall with white paint and then getīs caught up in lovemaking, I think this scene was excluded from airing?

Anyway..there again I could hear an undeniable track influence taken from
peter gabriels album passion wich was the soundtrack for the movie "The passion of christ".

And the instrument Duduk surely has gained success in a lot of movies trying to create sad emotions, since the duduk is supposed to represent a voice of the suffering of the armenian people throu times I guess.

Itīs not only sounds like the duduk and influence from the passion album that could be found, It goes back to the Birdy soundtrack from gabriel and the track called " the heat", and one can easy distinguish the drum rythm
as the influence for both the introduction and ending sequence.

The heat track goes even further back to peter gabriels second album "security" and the track there is called rythm of the heat, based on
some african dance and drumming and carl jung sessions I believe, I think thereīs even some chanting in there, as it is in Battlestar galactica.

Michael

prometheus
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Well..Hereīs some good news for Peter Gabriel.

I just watched the swedish channel four news today, And found out that
Peter Gabriel will be rewarded with The Polar Prize award.

The Polar prize was founded by the former Abba producer
Stickan Andersson.

Peter Gabriel will be receiving the Polar prize from His Majesty the king on the
31 st of augusti 2009 in stockholm.

Ivé been nagging over and over to my friends that I couldnīt understand
why He hadnīt got the Polar Prize yet, so finally...Congratulations Peter!

Michael

crashnburn
05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
As I understand it, when Peter Gabriel left the music industry he started a multimedia company. I could be mistaken.

Nice that he got the award. His music was great, Genesis were never the same without him.

Netvudu
05-13-2009, 05:10 AM
Peter Gabriel left the music industry?...when did that happen? Not that I know. Heīs still as active as ever. I love his recods. His solo career is way better than his Genesis era...
Heīs well know for Realworld Studios, probably the most advanced music studio, and always at the edge of recording technology.

prometheus
05-13-2009, 05:20 AM
As I understand it, when Peter Gabriel left the music industry he started a multimedia company. I could be mistaken.

Nice that he got the award. His music was great, Genesis were never the same without him.

I wouldnīt state that he has left the music industry, and his music Is great.
It seem that He has however shift gear focus towards more collaboration with other musicians and different projects like jamming with monkeys:)

Heīs also been doing a lot of music for different movies, like wall-e wich
he got an oscar nominee for, and the rabbit-proof fence ( long walk home).

Peter is also very involved in amnesty and human rights, so his a busy man I guess.

Peter Gabriel started and owns real world studios, where talented people from all the world can get a chance to record their music in a very inspiring environment.
http://www.realworldstudios.com/

Personally I prefer Peter Gabriels own solo work than genesis, and He
has a lojal band with fantastic musicians behind him.

Michael

crashnburn
05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
He did drop out of the music industry certainly for a while. I saw a program where they interviewed him and he wanted to go down a more multimedia route. This was quite a few years ago. He had bought an old church and converted it into a multimedia company looking at interaction between music and visuals.

crashnburn
05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I preferred his Genesis era, although his solo career was really good. Of course, this is a subjective opinion.

shrox
05-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Battlestar was a great show. I finally got to see the last episodes, I think they ended well enough. It was certainly the most believable sci fi series so far I think.

Netvudu
05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Ridiculous! The "most believable scifi show" title clearly belongs to Futurama :p

prometheus
05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I preferred his Genesis era, although his solo career was really good. Of course, this is a subjective opinion.

I donīt know why your refering to career was good, he is still having a career, and I really canīt see where or wich years he was out from the
music career, doing new experimental project is one thing but I really canīt see that he ever left the music area.

Anyway..as for topic, the gabriel music influences are there in galactica.
It makes me wonder what kind of other music could be fitting for that scifi show if these gabriel influences werenīt there.

As to what I can hear, the main inspiration sources seems to be taken from
gabriels middle east influented album "the passion" wich also is the soundtrack to "the last temptation of christ" with willem dafoe as christ.
And then thereīs the rythm of the heat wich also shows up as a track on the movie birdy, that is the soundtrack he really should have had an oscar for, itīs one of the most wonderful soundcarpets Ivé heard.

If you take a look at the ending of the movie birdy you can hear a familiar
high paced rythm "rythm of the heat" when mathew modine and nicholas cage are escaping from the mental guards, it feels almost identical to the track at the ending of every galactica episode.

Its somewhat interesting to hear the compressed blowing trumpets performed by jon hassel on that album, itīs kind of reminds me of the
later introduced blowing instrument duduk wich is used widely in passion of
christ and alot in battlestar galactica.

The duduk is fitting in very well thou in galactica, we know that the whole
mankind is going through a lot of pain and suffering that borders to extinction, and the duduk is very well suited for expressing sad suffering emotions.
If we try to think of something very sad, like the loss of someone in the family or a friend, and if we try to get that gut feeling out in somekind of moarning..it feels to me that it would sound something like... ooahouu ...whuuiooh, wich
infact translates well into the sounds expressed by a duduk played well.

Michael

crashnburn
05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Because from 1992 to 2002 he didn't produce a mainstream full length studio album apart from some soundtrack work. So here in the UK he dropped out of the mainstream music industry for an entire decade. And if you lived here in the UK you would find he has virtually no publicity, which I think unfortunately is his loss as he seems to be more active abroad. So he has been out of the limelight here in the UK since the early 90s, just appearing occasionally due to soundtrack work.

prometheus
05-14-2009, 06:05 AM
crashnburn.. you know what, peter gabriel has always been known as a guy taking very long time to complete things and gets criticize for it, most often it goes several years between his albums and tours.

I guess we all can have our point of view on if it feels like he has left the music industri.

Well yeah since you live in the uk you probably have a different perception on this.

I guess that Peter Gabriels Mainstream prime time was with the album So
where He allowed himself to work towards a more commercially suited album.
The Us album with the "digging in the dirt "felt very successful too.

He did create the real world studios and now he probably has more power
to create almost exactly the music he wantīs, thus the music might not
be aimed specifically to be a hit record for a youthful mainstream market.

You know what, I donīt call it leaving the music industri or arena because of lack of albums produced, heīs been doing a lot else with collaboration with other musicians and such.
Itīs not exactly leaving in the way like jaquine phoenix seems to
be leaving acting .

But yeah sometimes one wish he would produce a little more, but then again Im not sure we would get that same quality in his work.

Michael

crashnburn
05-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Michael,

I work with a couple of guys that used to go to Genesis concerts and saw Peter's costumes. These are guys in their 50s and for them it's like he's gone completely. They don't have access to the internet, not that they are interested in it. And so for them, because he has dropped out of the limelight, they see him as finished musically. Here in the UK, Peter Gabriel has very little if any publicity. I don't know how much he has abroad, but it does feel to many that he has gone from the industry. So maybe not technically correct to say he has gone, but that it how it is perceived.

I know this happens to a lot of musicians, and especially those as talented as Peter Gabriel who seem to be constantly moving on to other things. But it is sad that these musicians do lose older fans, people that were there when they started out.

Marc

prometheus
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Michael,

I work with a couple of guys that used to go to Genesis concerts and saw Peter's costumes. These are guys in their 50s and for them it's like he's gone completely. They don't have access to the internet, not that they are interested in it. And so for them, because he has dropped out of the limelight, they see him as finished musically. Here in the UK, Peter Gabriel has very little if any publicity. I don't know how much he has abroad, but it does feel to many that he has gone from the industry. So maybe not technically correct to say he has gone, but that it how it is perceived.

I know this happens to a lot of musicians, and especially those as talented as Peter Gabriel who seem to be constantly moving on to other things. But it is sad that these musicians do lose older fans, people that were there when they started out.

Marc

Well if they expect genesis costumes or genesis performances they are most surely gone:) thatīs been awhile.

and Uk isnīt the whole world really, right now I think heīs on tour in
southamerica..lotīs of people over there you know and those areas might
be interesting for gabriel in terms of getting messages out about human rights.
So your friends can most certainly see that he is not gone if they can
afford a trip to south america and follow him on tour.

as far as publicity in uk, well I guess he isnīt commercially interesting for
the media hype wich more naturally belongs to younger upcoming bands aimed for a younger audience.

I saw peter gabriel here at the globe arena in stockholm in 2005, and
he was alive and kickin.

Otherwise bring your friends over,or go to some internet cafe and
check Peter Gabriel out, he mostly post some video diarys of what he is up to.
http://www.petergabriel.com/

or news http://www.petergabriel.com/news/

Michael

prometheus
05-14-2009, 12:26 PM
oh..by the way I myself is at the age of 43 and I really didnīt know about
gabriel until I was something around 17-18 years and the first thing I
heard from him was shock the monkey...and I was hooked, so Genesis hasnīt
played a big part in terms of musical interest for me.

A friend of mine who is at the age of 30, only knew about sledge hammer
and digging in the dirt until two years ago when I introduced him to gabriels older stuff and he was thrilled and couldnt believe that he had missed all that
music from gabriel, now he thinks heīs one of the best musicians he has ever heard, and he listens mostly to hard metal bands otherwise, he especially liked the soundtrack long walk home.

Michael

evenflcw
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5it-nK1zvjRmv02nCrHAoo8_l97rgD9ADVCJO0

Happy now?

prometheus
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5it-nK1zvjRmv02nCrHAoo8_l97rgD9ADVCJO0

Happy now?

yes indeed..I was considering getting the 20 minute ride to the city just to get a glimps of him, but nahh..to many party celebrities,and swedish musicians surrounding the events without having any actual connection, knowledge or fan hysteria to him, all they could say upon questions about him...uhh..sledgehammer, with some exception of biko.

I watched the to short event on the swedish channel 4, and as a smaller fan I was a little bit moved seeing him getting that aknowledgement, he deserves it well since a long time ago me thinks.

Fun to hear his comments and his warped humour. and passing back the flowers back to the other prize winner:)

Would have been nice to hear more songs performed, I dontīknow how much more there was played, I could only hear solsbury hill, and donīt give up and some introduction theme with sledgehammar.

Michael

BeeVee
08-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Heheh, I used to live just down the road from him in Bath (he lived or perhaps still lives) in the delightfully-named Box.

B

prometheus
08-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Heheh, I used to live just down the road from him in Bath (he lived or perhaps still lives) in the delightfully-named Box.

B

Cool..I guess you as a neighbour never told him to turn the music down,
did you:)

I came to remember the 3d works on the music video/ride tour called "Kiss that frog"
I believe it was the angel studios doing the cg works on that, they did some cg works on the movie lawnmover man too but thatīs all I know for know.I wonder what cg tools they used for kiss that frog, I got the video
somewhere..have to check again.

No diva performances under the polar prize thank you speech, peter looked
relaxed and just wondered how the hell he could get there together with all the other impressive musicians that had won the prize earlier.
Peter said that he as a child failed on the exams, wasnīt very good on the piano according to his mother, and some other studio guys telling him to crawl back to wich ever hole he came from.

But he also said that he was a big dreamer with a big determination and
that pushed him to where he is today, so a lesson could be learned from that if you follow your heart passionly and with determination and believe in yourself you can come very far, something like that.

I would personally like to send him a thanks for helping me having hopes up
during a long unemployment time a couple of years ago, listening
to his donīt give up song always cheered me up at those times.

Michael

prometheus
08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
oh..well yeah..that haunting rythm of the heat track that made it to
influence the battlestar galactica, have been used a long time ago as opening sequence soundtrack in the old lizzard v-series in 1983..very very similar feel...some slighly altered tunes thou.

I remember that the second season of the v-series had the opening theme changed and that tune was absolutly horrible in my ears.
I didnīt mind the peter gabriel influenced track for that.

Michael

gatz
09-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I've just gotten use to the fact that he takes a decade to compete an album. In the interim you get soundtracks. Rabbit Proof Fence, Birdy and the Passion of Christ have been exceptional.