PDA

View Full Version : modeler layers panel ...

anieves
08-20-2003, 09:24 AM
humm, I have been using this panel more and more and was wondering what your thoughts are on improving it like this:

1-double click (or right-click) on the name to change the layer name.
2-dynamic parenting alas Scene editor click and drag.
3-be able the re-order the layers while keeping the name attached to the layer.

I think that would be cool

maybe I should post this in the feature request forum... I just hang out here more:p

Cobalt
08-20-2003, 10:59 AM
I agree. The layers window is extremely limited as an interface goes. I did not like its functionality at all when I first started modeling.

I noticed, however, that as I began to model more and more, I used layers only for WIP's. Many of my models were ultimately collapsed into one layer when they were finshed. Only for mechanical models would I have separat parts on separate layers (like a hull, turret, barrel, etc.)

I cant imagine it would be to hard to fix in LW8. Hope it happens.

Valter
08-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by anieves
humm, I have been using this panel more and more and was wondering what your thoughts are on improving it like this:

1-double click (or right-click) on the name to change the layer name.

I think that would be cool

maybe I should post this in the feature request forum... I just hang out here more:p

1- already have it (PC version)
2- good idea
3- do you mean like Scene editor as well ??

anyway modeler layers panel need improves, not change methodology, just improve. :)

anieves
08-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Valter
1- already have it (PC version)
2- good idea
3- do you mean like Scene editor as well ??

anyway modeler layers panel need improves, not change methodology, just improve. :)

1- I didn't mean as a pop up I mean something like photoshop... no pop ups.
2- cool!
3-yep, but with out parenting, just reordering layers like if I have an object in #1 and #7 I click and drag #7 right between 1 and 2 and 7 becomes 2 keeping its original name.

comanche
08-20-2003, 12:21 PM

Didn't we already have this? Switch from "List" to "Hierarchy" to drag & drop the layers (reordering and parenting).

edit: ooops, sorry, only parenting and unparenting. No reordering :/

Andreas

meshmaster
08-20-2003, 12:58 PM
of layers available that you can see on the screen at once to select, deselect, etc.... what would be cool is if a seperate floating layers panel was used, sort of like a mix of photoshop's layer panel and the trueSpace tsx floating panel, with the icon size the same as it is now in Lightwave, and you could stretch the bar to be either horizontal or vertical, and stretch it all the way across your monitor(s). That way, selecting something on like layer 50 would be one click away from layer 1, and you wouldn't have to hit the next button...

riki
08-20-2003, 07:09 PM
People have been complaining about the Layers window for ages.

anieves
08-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by comanche
Didn't we already have this? Switch from "List" to "Hierarchy" to drag & drop the layers (reordering and parenting).

edit: ooops, sorry, only parenting and unparenting. No reordering :/

Andreas

you're right, In hierarchy mode you can dynamicaly parent (forgot 'bout that) but not re order.

evenflcw
08-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Except for being able to reorder layers, I'd like to be able to highlight several at a time so I don't have to parent them one by one, but can parent/reorder many in one go. I would also prefer if it started under hierachy mode by default instead of list. For people not parenting it'll look the same, but for people who do parent in modeler it will save a tedious step.

Didn't some one make a feature request with mockups and all a while ago? It had some pretty snazzy features, I'd be happy with a fraction of those :)

Nemoid
08-22-2003, 07:34 AM
for panels in modeler i general , and layers in prticular

1) dockable and resizable panels (general)

2) photoshop - like and other functions
group layers and collapse layers / groups of layers
into one
3) colored labels for layers, associated with
wireframe colors if needed.
4) drag and drop parenting
5) extended renaming functions for groups of layers,
like in renaming files utilities, (see skel editor too)