bang!

http://www.killerbeanforever.com/KBF.jpg

Scazzino
05-06-2009, 11:57 AM
That looks cool! :thumbsup:
Never thought a bean, could look so mean! :hey:

Cohen
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Jeff Lew is still at it with this? I'd figure he would have been done with the bean idea a long time ago. :rolleyes:

cresshead
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Jeff Lew is still at it with this? I'd figure he would have been done with the bean idea a long time ago. :rolleyes:

i would answer that honestly but i''d get banned:D

IMI
05-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I think it looks pretty cool, and I don't usually like cartoony, cutesy movies.
But this guy did this whole thing more or less himself, didn't he?
He seems like an excellent animator, definitely an inspiration for those of us who are teaching ourselves, as opposed to going to a school for it.
Is he still using Hash Animation Master? I would hope he would have moved on by now, but current information about him seems to be kinda sparse. Most of the stuff I've found about him is in regards to his (ancient) animation course DVD and this Killer Bean movie. I can't find anything saying what tools he uses these days, but I'd find it very hard to believe he used Animation Master to make this movie.

Hopper
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
That was awesomely funny. It was like watching Transporter 2 with beans. lol . Nice job.

I think the only thing I would change is the fact that you're trying to get across that the music is really loud. You should make the bass speaker cones bounce like they should be. I would call it perfect at that.

JonW
05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I have seen the first one years ago, the first version I believe he spent a couple of years making it, & with computers vastly slower than today, its a tremendous effort.

I still watch it every now & then, it very well done.

cresshead
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
But this guy did this whole thing more or less himself, didn't he?

I can't find anything saying what tools he uses these days, but I'd find it very hard to believe he used Animation Master to make this movie.

he used maya for this film...
done all by himself [cg] and co wrote the music too...he wrote the script also..

financed by himself via his credit card/life savings

he was the guy who was the lead animator on a film you may remember>>THE MATRIX<<

simply can't wait to be able to buy this dvd..

i have his training dvd's also which were done with animation master but are just dandy for any decent 3d animation app also.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMI
05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
he was the guy who was the lead animator on a film you may remember>>THE MATRIX<<

simply can't wait to be able to buy this dvd..

Yeah, that's right, The Matrix. I remember reading that now.
I'll definitely buy the DVD too. He definitely deserves the support for pulling off such a huge task on his own.

AdamAvenali
05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
i want to say that there are some pretty substantial articles in 3D World about him and this project in issues 114, 115, and 116

geo_n
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
i have his training dvd's also which were done with animation master but are just dandy for any decent 3d animation app also.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm going through his free video and is his method pose to pose animation like IKboost? I thought people here commented that pose to pose animation is not good.

The Dommo
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Hmmm.... I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the original Killer Bean 2 - seems overscripted and cheesey with bad voices. The animation seems slow and floaty in places. Sure, this one looks technically nicer, but the first version just got on with it much better and the characters had more weight.

Still, I'd like to see how he finishes it. Fair play to the man.

ericsmith
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm going through his free video and is his method pose to pose animation like IKboost? I thought people here commented that pose to pose animation is not good.

AM does appear to have a part-time IK option like IKBoost, but if you watch the whole video (not just the 34 min promo), you'll see he uses standard full-time IK on the legs, and the same for arms in any scenario where the hands need to be constrained to a target.

It's also worth noting that pose to pose animation is a methodology that is not in any way exclusive to IKBoost. It's a workflow used by most animators, and in the big picture, is pretty much the only practical way to work in any environment where an animator has to get feedback from a director or client.

Eric

jasonwestmas
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Are those baked beans or lightly roasted coffee beans?

RebelHill
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
It certainly one hell of an effort on the mans part... I cant help but say id be more impressed if the animation wasnt so "samey", was less floaty, adn there werent limbs penetrating each other all over the place... but of course, theres only so much u can do if u want to actually have any hope of finishing such a huge project... somethings gotta give somewhere.

cresshead
05-07-2009, 04:14 PM
if you want to download the HD version then copy and paste this into the addreess bar >>>

javascript:window.location.href = 'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=' + swfArgs['video_id'] + "&fmt=22" + "&l=" + swfArgs['l'] + "&sk=" + swfArgs['sk'] + '&t=' + swfArgs['t'];

so go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_7-lYjLEI&fmt=22

then once there...paste in the code above and you'll be prompted to save the video

btw>. cool youtube tricks
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-youtube-url-tricks-you-should-know-about/

cresshead
05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
It certainly one hell of an effort on the mans part... I cant help but say id be more impressed if the animation wasnt so "samey", was less floaty, adn there werent limbs penetrating each other all over the place... but of course, theres only so much u can do if u want to actually have any hope of finishing such a huge project... somethings gotta give somewhere.

the floaty dance stuff your refering to i belive is mocap'd or tracked motion using systheyes and so not hand keyed..i agree it looks floaty and alo has that mocap look to it where feet arn't nailed to the floor and there's not had much editing to fix up the feet/floor placments.

still this is the primer scene that sets up the film

Titus
05-11-2009, 01:17 AM
RebelHill sums it up all my feelings. I know Jeff's work since his first version of killer bean, and have respect of him, but I think this is more of the same. I see this movie and I feel like being back in the year 2000, but now with radiosity. BTW, the player stopped at a random location and got this image (look at the arm):

cresshead
05-11-2009, 02:26 AM
did you read his reply about the dancing segment?

Quote:
However, the bean break-dance at the beginning somewhat bothers me. The dancers look as if they're floating above ground because their feet seem to be keyed with ease in/out only. I see it as an error, although it may very well be what you wanted. Other than that there are some smooth and convincing moves to be seen.

Yes, I did use motion capture where I could. So a lot of the dancing is motion capture. Almost all of the fight sequences are hand animated because I wanted very specific actions.

jameswillmott
05-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Hmmm.... I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the original Killer Bean 2 - seems overscripted and cheesey with bad voices. The animation seems slow and floaty in places. Sure, this one looks technically nicer, but the first version just got on with it much better and the characters had more weight.

Still, I'd like to see how he finishes it. Fair play to the man.

I have to agree, KB2 was much better animated and the timing was tighter too. I hope he has a good story holding the full film together, because nice animation doesn't hold people's attention forever.

hrgiger
05-12-2009, 06:35 AM
You have to look at how far Jeff has come. Dont' forget Killer Bean 1. Not so great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQNdaNaYCa8&feature=related

jameswillmott
05-12-2009, 06:46 AM
I disagree, how good or bad Jeff was has no bearing on how good or not the new KB movie is. It should be judged on it's own merit.

However, I do agree he's come a long way since KB1, I just don't think that the latest offering is better than KB2. However, that's based on a limited experience, so let's wait and see what comes.

cresshead
05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
i'll post a review when the dvd arrives...i have a friend in usa who i have asked if he can buy it and send it on to me as there's no distribution to uk setup as yet.

IMI
05-12-2009, 08:21 AM
i'll post a review when the dvd arrives...i have a friend in usa who i have asked if he can buy it and send it on to me as there's no distribution to uk setup as yet.

If there's no distribution for the UK, doesn't that mean that the region settings will prevent you from being able to play it if it's being sent from the US?

cresshead
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
no i play all dvd's on my computer thesedays so just launch VLC..i used to use a multi region player for my tv but got rid of tv 2+years back

Larry_g1s
05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I think it's great to see what Jeff's doing. I felt like the animation was a bit floaty to, I'll chalk it up to one guy doing a full length movie.

What I love about this the most is that it shows we have the hardware/software, one just needs the talent and time. :thumbsup:

I'm going through his free video and is his method pose to pose animation like IKboost? I thought people here commented that pose to pose animation is not good.Pose to Pose is good in that you're organized (you know where you're going and where you came from). Straight ahead is more fluid/organic due to it's spontaneity. A solid approach is a combo of both. Going through Jason Ryan's (http://www.jasonryananimation.com) training and webinars, he basically does a nice hybrid of straight ahead for his golden/main poses, which gives him that fluidity but also stucture. Then when he jumps in to his breakdowns or in betweens he can treat the golden poses more as pose to pose but retain that fluidity. It's a sweet approach.

cresshead
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
well the DVD arrived today...all the way from a friend in the USA who bought it and shipped it to me over the pond to here in ole england!

film story etc..loved it.
extra's..still going thru them but very good so far
commentry's..2 of them...just going thru 1st of them currently

loved his home made mocap system for lip sync and head animation
his render farm is just crazy funny!
and his main pc for animation is waaaay lo tech reagrds ram and video card.

character animation was canned mo cap files, home made mo cap system and hand keyframing for the action sequences and stuff that mo cap could not supply in either quality or type for the shot.
The hand keyed stuff is of excellent quality and what you'd expect from a top animator who's also worked on the matrix and transformers 2.

he used:
maya complete
final render
sony vegas
particle illusion
acid pro loop
adobe audition
$100 mics [2 of them]

124,000 frames color dome light and main light with dof
124,000 frames ambient occlusion

rendered out to HD res with a few tricks to speed up renders.

excellent DVD.
go get a copy!

probiner
08-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Someone has issues with a russian mafia nephew neighbour... :D

As for looks, everything looks great.

As for animation, story and storytelling it could be more impecable.

But then again... I wish had done something like this to this day.

Cheers

Bog
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I prefered the opening of Bean 2, to be honest. This might be the Director's Ultra Maximal Cut, but limb interpenetration and the weightless car were... not great.

I'll still buy the DVD, just because indie production should be rewarded and encouraged. Just saying, he did loads better in Bean 2 from this sequence alone.

cresshead
08-17-2009, 06:18 PM
the mocap dance intro is just 90seconds in a 85 min film so with 250,000frames to render out i think you have to balance his workload, remembering it's just 1 man doing it all,

i'd agree maybe not the best trailer footage but also doesn't give away the story that unfolds..he wanted to do a choregraphed dance segment and he sorta pulled it off and was for him a better option than just to re do killerbean2 as you'd have people saying the start was a straight 'copy'...he pushed himself to new ground and was somewhat succesful...of course he could have fixed the arms, legs feet etc but then the film may have taken and extra 3 months and he was living off his savings and credit card.

so pressure to 'complete' is always in your mind so some hard desicions have to be made...the 'animator' always want to fix stuff and have it pefect, the producer wants you to 'produce' and the director wants to move on to the next scene...when all three are 1 person..it's tough cookie time!

digitaldoc
08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
The extras on the DVD are great. Some innovative methods of head motion capture and mouth motion scanning. The way he wrote the music was pretty cool too. :thumbsup:
Kudos to Jeff Lew for the awesome effort.:cool:

Teruchan
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
It's not like there aren't plenty of big films out there with huge budgets and 100 man crews that have suffered from a tight deadline. The important thing, in my view, is he did it. He finished it. There's always going to be critics.

I just hope he gets his much deserved reward for his efforts on what seems to be his baby. He accomplished something great.

hrgiger
08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I just ordered the DVD. Very reasonable price. Congrats to JL for finishing such a huge project by himself.

Cageman
08-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Yes, I did use motion capture where I could. So a lot of the dancing is motion capture.

To be TOTALY honest here... I have done a fair share of MoCap work myself, and blaming penetrating limbs on bad mocap is just... well...

Lets just say that it is quite easy to fix such issues, if you have the right tool for it.

:)

Cageman
08-19-2009, 12:18 AM
If there's no distribution for the UK, doesn't that mean that the region settings will prevent you from being able to play it if it's being sent from the US?

There is also something called Region Free DVD-players. ;)

Cageman
08-19-2009, 12:25 AM
It's not like there aren't plenty of big films out there with huge budgets and 100 man crews that have suffered from a tight deadline. The important thing, in my view, is he did it. He finished it. There's always going to be critics.

I just hope he gets his much deserved reward for his efforts on what seems to be his baby. He accomplished something great.

Aye...

I think he deserves alot of credits for his efforts. Since Kaze Ghostwarrior was released by Timothy Albee, I havn't seen these types of one man efforts. Vert cool indeed.

hrgiger
08-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Just in regards to this...

I watched his making of Killer Bean today which is actually 2 minutes longer then the movie (87 minutes). He talks about he hoped to actually finish such a huge project himself. He said if he had the chance to cut corners to get things done, he did. He said if he had tried to hand animate everything it might have taken him 20 years to finish it. He used a lot of clever tricks to get things done and I found it pretty enlightening. He used a 2D motion tracking system to do the lip synching. He mostly hand animated all the fight scenes which required very precise motion. And honestly those scenes are the best part about the movie. I found it amusing that when it came to the texturing he used mostly projection (no uvs) because he said he didn't know how to do UV's and didn't want to spend the time learning it which would take time away from doing the project.
The movie itself was pretty cheesy overall (I mean, how could it not be, it is about beans) and the dialouge was sometimes painful but I think it's a real testement to what someone can do when their heart is in it.
My proverbial hat is off to Jeff Lew.

Larry_g1s
08-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Just in regards to this...

I watched his making of Killer Bean today which is actually 2 minutes longer then the movie (87 minutes). He talks about he hoped to actually finish such a huge project himself. He said if he had the chance to cut corners to get things done, he did. He said if he had tried to hand animate everything it might have taken him 20 years to finish it. He used a lot of clever tricks to get things done and I found it pretty enlightening. He used a 2D motion tracking system to do the lip synching. He mostly hand animated all the fight scenes which required very precise motion. And honestly those scenes are the best part about the movie. I found it amusing that when it came to the texturing he used mostly projection (no uvs) because he said he didn't know how to do UV's and didn't want to spend the time learning it which would take time away from doing the project.
The movie itself was pretty cheesy overall (I mean, how could it not be, it is about beans) and the dialouge was sometimes painful but I think it's a real testement to what someone can do when their heart is in it.
My proverbial hat is off to Jeff Lew.Nice review. :thumbsup:

Larry_g1s
08-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Got the DVD, watched it...

Incredible!

While I really enjoyed the movie, I truly appreciated the Making Of much more. Jeff Lew is obviously very talented and I think it's (more than) great that he shared this. The guy on CGTalk said it best - I feel I got more than I paid for with this DVD, and that's something that doesn't happen very often.

Again... truly inspiring. :thumbsup:The "behind the scenes"/"making of" are some of my favorite parts of a DVD too. Will we be seeing something like this down the years with your endeavors Megalodon. ;)

cresshead
08-25-2009, 12:48 AM
there's a killer bean youtube channel now>>more trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7-2JjjZ1U&NR=1