PDA

View Full Version : Running a plugin???

kuroyume0161
02-25-2003, 06:47 PM
I'm quite new to LightWave3D (7.5) and have downloaded a free plugin (.p), put it into the Plugins directory, and added it in LW Layout using Add Plugins..., but I can't find it anywhere to actually run it.

The manual doesn't exactly outline how this is done. Describes adding them nicely, but it's not showing up anywhere to be run.

Confused kuroyume0161

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 06:57 PM
depends what it is for

lots of different places for a plugin to hide

kuroyume0161
02-25-2003, 07:05 PM
It's a plugin to supposedly get your Dongle ID. I placed it in the Lightwave\Plugins\Utility\ folder and opened LW. Went to Layout->Add Plugins... and selected it. A dialog said that 1 was added and that's it. Can't find it in the Generic Plugins list or in any of the menus or in the Plugin list (Edit Plugins). Information about the plugin on the site is basically nonexistent (download and ???).

Kuroyume

Justin Hicks
02-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Hey i dont know much but i found out that plugins are ( .P ) files...so if you go to start, search, find files or folders, then type .p it "should" atomaticly find all the plugins..that might work i dont know it worked for me...but anyway .. bye

kuroyume0161
02-26-2003, 06:44 PM
It's not that I can't find the plugin. I know precisely where it is :), but it won't seem to make it self available for running (even after "add"-ing it to the available plugins in LW.

kuroyume

brtk
02-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Well , have you tried to look for it in Modeler? Try Construct tab and Additional dropdown menu- most of Modeler plugs "lands" there... btw where did u download it? could u post an URL?
maybe I can find it for u

kuroyume0161
02-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Yes, I tried it Modeler. I wish they'd make a general Plugin area (even if it puts itself someplace else).

The plugin is Get Dongle ID (on the right) from http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/.

Thanks,

kuroyume

faulknermano
02-26-2003, 10:21 PM
here's two general tips when looking for plugins whose architecture you do now know (that's why _I_ suffix my lscript with markings... wish others would do the same as well).

1.) there are two eays to add plugins. one is the Add Plugins command, and the other is the Edit Plugins command. execute the Edit Plugins command and you will see the list of the installed plugs (for both modeler and layout: you can run the Edit Plugins in both apps). click on File (at the bottom) and look for the filename. once you find it you will see the details of the plug and its corresponding architecture.

2.) another way (albeit longer way) is to access the lwext3.cfg located in your configs folder (whichever folder you have speciied). access that and do a text search for the plugin filename. you might see two or more instances of the filename. but you will see the archtecture specified in one of them: DisplacementHandler, ItemMotionHandler, etc etc.

note: if it's a CommandSequence or MeshDataEdit type, then they are modeler plugins.

faulknermano
02-26-2003, 10:29 PM
i forgot to add:

if it's a

MasterHandler > Master Plug-ins
DisplacementHandler > Object Properties, Displacement
ItemMotionHanderl > Motion Options > Motion Modifier
ChannelHandler > Graph Editor > Channel Filter
Generic > Generics list (available directly from the Edit Menus / Edit Keys list)
EnviromentHandler > Effects > Backdrop > Environment
ImageFilterHandler > Effects > Processing > Image Filter

and so on and so forth...

kuroyume0161
02-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by faulknermano
here's two general tips when looking for plugins whose architecture you do now know (that's why _I_ suffix my lscript with markings... wish others would do the same as well).

1.) there are two eays to add plugins. one is the Add Plugins command, and the other is the Edit Plugins command. execute the Edit Plugins command and you will see the list of the installed plugs (for both modeler and layout: you can run the Edit Plugins in both apps). click on File (at the bottom) and look for the filename. once you find it you will see the details of the plug and its corresponding architecture.

Yes, I read the manual. I added and added and added and it wasn't added to the list of plugins (at all, zilch, not there - see reply to 2.)) in either modeler or layout. All of sudden, today, after rebooting, it appears (I did quit and restart LW several times and it didn't appear).

2.) another way (albeit longer way) is to access the lwext3.cfg located in your configs folder (whichever folder you have speciied). access that and do a text search for the plugin filename. you might see two or more instances of the filename. but you will see the archtecture specified in one of them: DisplacementHandler, ItemMotionHandler, etc etc.

note: if it's a CommandSequence or MeshDataEdit type, then they are modeler plugins.

It is in the lw3ext.cfg file as "Get DongleID". Now, how do I run it (something I couldn't find in the manual). Remember, I haven't used LW much and am well aware of the learning curve. I added the command, added the command to a menu, and it's not there. Should I reboot again? That doesn't make sense.

Kuroyume

faulknermano
02-27-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by kuroyume0161

It is in the lw3ext.cfg file as "Get DongleID". Now, how do I run it (something I couldn't find in the manual). Remember, I haven't used LW much and am well aware of the learning curve. I added the command, added the command to a menu, and it's not there. Should I reboot again? That doesn't make sense.

Kuroyume

okay.. i downloaded it.. it seems that the plugin writer failed to adhere to some of the lw cfg rules...

go to lwext3.cfg and look for GetDonglePC.p. this is how it looks like.

{ Entry
Class "CommandSequence"
Name "Get DongleID"
Module "C:\\LightWave_3D_7.0\\LSCRIPTS\\GetDonglePC.p"
}

_however_, it should read:

{ Entry
Class "CommandSequence"
Name "GetDongleID"
Module "C:\\LightWave_3D_7.0\\LSCRIPTS\\GetDonglePC.p"
}

notice how the plugin writer added a space between "Get DongleID" when there should be none: "GetDongleID".

this plugin is a modeler plug, so you have to run it in modeler.

faulknermano
02-27-2003, 03:32 AM
correction: forget what i said... it's registering fine over modeler... same experience as you had.

just run this as a modeler plug and you're all set.

brtk
02-27-2003, 04:24 AM
Hi
I just downloaded, added and it works just fine with no editing of cfg files, youll find it as Lernie said before in modeler under construction tab >additional, heres little pic:

kuroyume0161
02-27-2003, 10:14 AM
That works. Seems like an odd place for it. Would have never found it without the "pointers"! :0) As I said, it'd be nice if there was a more unified place for odd plugins like this. Who could have guessed that Utility would be under the "Construct" tab (without intimite knowledge of LW)?? I know that you can place them where you want with the Menu Editor, but general Utilities should really be under the always-present File|Modeler menus...

Thanks,

Kuroyume