PDA

View Full Version : How much RAM ...

Thomas M.
05-06-2009, 04:34 AM
is possible in one of those new PCs with an i7 chip? I'm getting tired of PS as it takes up to 30min to save my files (Filesize in PS about 16gb, on HD 4-10GB, usually 16bit or 32bit). I'm looking forward to something like 32-64GB. Is that possible and will PS be faster? In theory I'd say yes, but practically?

Any experience? I already have to Raptors in my PC simulating one fast drive for PS, but that's no really high end.

How would the ultimate PS PC look like nowadays?

Cheers
Thomas

Lewis
05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Nope, you won't be able to use 32 or 64GB 'coz newest X58 chipset for i7 CPUs (1366) supports 24GB Max (6 slots * DDR3 Ram)

For more Ram you'll have to buy Dual or Quad CPU (not core but actual CPU) Xeon PC which can use up to 192GB of RAM if you have enough $$$$$ to pay for that :) :).

As far as HDDs you might consider SSD (SolidState Disk) which are much faster than any Raptors but price is hefty (even more than raptors ;)).

here is one interesting SSD RAID setup :) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

cresshead
05-06-2009, 08:27 AM
is possible in one of those new PCs with an i7 chip? I'm getting tired of PS as it takes up to 30min to save my files (Filesize in PS about 16gb, on HD 4-10GB, usually 16bit or 32bit). I'm looking forward to something like 32-64GB. Is that possible and will PS be faster? In theory I'd say yes, but practically?

Any experience? I already have to Raptors in my PC simulating one fast drive for PS, but that's no really high end.

How would the ultimate PS PC look like nowadays?

Cheers
Thomas

16gig pshop image?...are you loading google earth!

Bytehawk
05-06-2009, 08:39 AM
ssd drives aren't that fast for writing data
the tech is still in its infancy. Give it a few more years.
a raid with a few fast drives would be better since every time you add a drive the write speed increases.

Lewis
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
ssd drives aren't that fast for writing data
the tech is still in its infancy.

That's old stuff, New drives with new controllers and set of instructions (to not erase old data before writing new one) and Firmwares, reading goes up to 250MB and writing is 170-230 MB depending on manufacturer. OCT Vertex 120GB/250GB are one of many new series with those firmwares and Indilinx controllers which are great and fast at writing also, cache memory helps a LOT (that was what old platter/classic HDDs had and SSDs didn't in the past) :).

Just one of those new tests
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-120-gb-ssd-review/

* Available in 30GB, 60GB, 120GB, 250GB capacities*
* 64MB Onboard Cache
* Seek Time: <0.1ms
* Slim 2.5" Design
* 99.8 x 69.63 x 9.3mm
* Lightweight 77g
* Operating Temp: -10C ~ +70C
* Storage Temp: -55C ~ +140C
* Low Power Consumption: 2W in operation, 0.5W in standby
* Shock Resistant 1500G
* RAID Support
* MTBF 1.5 million hours
* 2 year warranty
* Read: Up to 250 MB/s
* Write: Up to 180MB/s

The most important task for the SSD is... writing files. We scale 4KB block sizes to large 1024KB block sizes in bursts of 32MB with a queue depth of 4 and then measure how fast the storage device is dealing with them. The storage units we used:

* WD1500HLFS Velociraptor (150GB)
* OCZ Core MLC (64GB)
* G.Skill SSD Titan MLC (128GB)
* OCZ Vertex MLC (120GB)

Small part of test (fr those who don't like to read 12 pages ;))

We added the newest model Western Digital WD1500HLFS VelociRaptor to our test suite, it is the fastest and most expensive 10k RPM HDD your money can get you. It's write performance however is unprecedented good.

As you can see, the performance is astounding. The 64MB cache memory just kicks in really hard. It's also a bit tricky for this particular test, since our tested files fit perfectly in the cache... what is it actually showing? Cache or actual write performance?

None the less, the results don't lie... that is sheer amazing write performance. Even 4KB files are written much faster than a traditional HDD now, at ~68MB/sec. That's double to triple the speed of any SSD we've tested, thanks to that 64MB cache.

Final Words & Conclusion

I recently gave a pretty big speech on JMicron controller based SSD drives. Seriously, the JMicron products should not be written off, they are a good amount cheaper and if anything, the GSkill Titan drive as shown in the benchmarks of this review, proves that it is a very capable and very fast drive. It's just that, it can be better...

The usage of another controller in combo with a lot of cache memory eliminates much, if not all of the issues that the JMicron controller has shown. And in the fierce and competitive storage arena, in the long run it might be the final kill for JMicron, until they make a controller that supports such large caches as well that is.

As such, the OCZ Vertex series SSD drives are to date the best SSDs we have ever tested. It is nearly baffling how fast it really is. The choice for another controller (Indilinx) definitely is a very good one. As a controller it is not per se much better, yet with the 64Mb cache memory on board SSD technology has yet again been pushed to another, higher, level.

Much of the small file write issues are quite honestly gone thanks to the combo of this controller and cache memory. As such, the Vertex is an extraordinary drive. I would recommend this SSD over a JMicron controller based SSD drive very much... but let's not forget, this product is more expensive as well. A 128GB GSkill Titan SSD can be found for 250 USD. This 120GB OCZ Vertex starts at 350~375 USD. It's a choice you have to make... can you live with an operating system stutter here and there or do you pay a premium price and eliminate that issue?

Having tested the Vertex SSD, I do feel that the extra dough is worth the investment.

Concluding -- each and every fricking review that we write on an SSD drive we end with something like this: 'this is a top notch product'. Then 2-3 weeks later the technology has improved and we again have to write, 'this is a top notch product'. And now the OCZ Vertex SSD has been released, guess what? These drives are top notch products :)

Seriously, it is nearly gnarly how much you'd enjoy a drive like tested today. My initial remarks still apply though. You buy an MLC SSD flash memory drive on borrowed time. I so wish the industry would move to SLC based NAND flash memory, as it's life span is at least 10x better. So please do disable defragmentation, the prefetcher and search indexer to ensure your SSD will last you many many years.

And when it comes to performance, the Vertex is just ridiculously fast and is probably the product you've all been waiting for. It looks like OCZ struck gold with the Vertex. As such it comes very much recommended.

kmacphail
05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Take it up a notch:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_z_drive_pci_express_ssd