PDA

View Full Version : crashes on 'Clear Scene' with 9.6?

3dWannabe
05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm running an Intel 10.5.6 MacPro quad.

In Layout, I did a replace and pulled in a modeler object. Then messed around with bones a bit - then did a 'clear scene'.

I've gotten Layout to crash several times on 'Clear Scene' by going thru these steps - I'll see if I can create a 100% repeatable crash and submit it to tech support.

I used to use C and C++ years ago, and it makes me think Layout is trying to free memory it didn't properly allocate. Which could explain some user's crashes when trying to open a scene - or other bizarre un-repeatable crashes.

Back in my day, I'd use a 3rd party tool that may have been called BoundsChecker that would help to locate easy to create but hard to diagnose programming errors like this.

Any idea what the NewTech team uses - or whether they have any tools to detect this sort of error?

I guess I'm surprised at how easily Layout crashes - as I've used Macs for quite a while, and have never seen an application (I use Logic & Final Cut Pro & Motion mainly) crash before.

Jockomo
05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I think we are the "tools" that newtek uses to detect errors.

Final cut pro and motion do well on macs because they are made by Apple to run on Apples, they don't have to bother with being compatible, which is ok if you only live in the Mac bubble. My experience is that lightwave is much more buggy on macs than on PCs, but I have experienced the problem you are talking about, crashes on clear scene, on a PC.

You can try clearing your preference files but I doubt that will fix it.

3dWannabe
05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Jockomo - well, I hope that isn't true.

It's just not that hard to write code without these kind of errors, as the tools exist to detect them. You just create a build with the extra code, and have testers go at it (or end users) and try to get a crash.

The line #s of the offending source code are identified - and this was the state of the art 15 years ago - so I expect things have gotten better for C & C++ programmers (what language is LW coded in?)

They just need to invest in the correct tools.

Kuzey
05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
I know there are problems with old object files (made in older versions of LW) and that goes double if there are bones as well. I believe Newtek added some sort of error checking but didn't fix the root of the problem because it was a few weeks before 9.6 went gold. Anyway, loading such files could make Layout go crazy :hey:

Off course...it could be something else.

Kuzey

3dWannabe
05-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Kuzey - I'd think backwards compatibility would be a very high priority, as I'd expect older models & bones get re-used in later projects so as not to re-invent the wheel and meet deadlines.

Taking a rig from an older model does not seem to be stretching the envelope, but something done on a regular basis.

I got an amazing # of crashes last night, had to save the file after every tip move of a bone.

I develop software for a living, and the mac version just does not seem to be a commercial product. I wouldn't sell something that crashes so easily - and I'd be out of business if I did.

It's now over 3 months without any bug fixes whatsoever. Do they ever do any sub-point releases or fixes?

For doing 3d modeling and animation on the Mac, what other programs have less issues and equal or better functionality?

Kuzey
05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Kuzey - I'd think backwards compatibility would be a very high priority, as I'd expect older models & bones get re-used in later projects so as not to re-invent the wheel and meet deadlines.

This is true, but I think they changed or streamlined how data is read in 9.6 somewhere along the line. So old files will have additional information or junk that 9.6 won't know what to do with and it causes problems..I think.

I'm sure they will fix it if they haven't already. However, if old files are going to be broken and stay broken even after Cocoa 9.6...then one option would be to make a utility app that converts/strips junks from old files for use in 9.6.

Jay did say the work on 9.6 hasn't stopped since it went gold and it's progressing but still in closed beta....so we don't know what is fixed or updated yet.

Kuzey