PDA

View Full Version : Lei: Rigging Assistance Requested

BlueApple
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I am trying to rig a lei on a character so the back of it stays pinned to the back of his neck, but the front can bounce around. I've tried to run IK chains down either side with a goal in the center, but the geometry of the flower in the center gets hosed.

Any tutorials on rigging a lei/necklace I should check out?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Adam

RebelHill
05-04-2009, 01:07 PM
If it were me... Id just use a polychain and put dynamics on it... then use that to drive the final object.

SplineGod
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Id probably use IKboost on something like that. Its good for easily manipulating long chaings of items or bones. Set the pivot point of the lei towards the rear Heres some more information on IKB. http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/IKBoost/
IKB also allows dynamics and a sort of softbody dynamics to be used on long chains of items or bones.

BlueApple
05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for both of your responses. I'll give them both a shot.

BlueApple
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I went down the 2-point poly chain + cloth dynamics + MetaLink route and it seems to be working fairly well. I just need to isolate the "jittering on to infinity" problem now and I'll be set.

RebelHill
05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
"jittering on to infinity" problem

I often find toying around with friction and viscosity settings helps with this one.

BlueApple
05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
@RebelHill:
Gracias, I'll take a look at that.

Surrealist.
05-08-2009, 05:10 AM
I went down the 2-point poly chain + cloth dynamics + MetaLink route and it seems to be working fairly well. I just need to isolate the "jittering on to infinity" problem now and I'll be set.

Try setting the resolution to about .01, will take longer to calc but it should help with the jitters.