PDA

View Full Version : Hey Newtek, How's LW 8 coming?

js33
08-20-2003, 05:46 AM
Proton, Lee, Deuce

Can anyone give us a LW 8 progress report? It's been very quite lately.

Cheers,
JS

WilliamVaughan
08-20-2003, 07:31 AM
We are hard at work.....I hope to post a new screen grab this week (no promises) that will get everyone excited about some of the new features that you haven't seen yet :)

Dodgy
08-20-2003, 07:55 AM
OOOH :)

grundgedanke
08-20-2003, 08:02 AM
yeps, canŽt wait to see...

Marco
08-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Looking forward to the new features....

cresshead
08-20-2003, 08:13 AM
okay...i'm starting to feel like it's xmas...but it's only august!
keep up the great work and make sure that duece get's on and does some "stuff" this week..

steve g;)

cavalos
08-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by proton
about some of the new features that you haven't seen yet :)

You mean we can see another "secret" arsenal of features? Anyway, it will be so cool if those features include some rendering improvements.

Marco
08-20-2003, 08:29 AM
Proton,

I would love to see improvement in Rendering speed.

I would also love to see Anti Aliasing feature that would only effect the outside edges of objects and not the rest of the objects. This would give a sharper look to the objects and remove the jagged lines from the outside edges....

Thanks.

js33
08-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Proton,

Glad to hear about the new stuff coming up. Keep it coming.
But what I really am wondering is what the time frame for getting 8 out is now. End of 3rd quarter or 4th quarter?

Cheers,
JS

anieves
08-20-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm excited!

modeler or Layout? give us a hint man!

Matt
08-20-2003, 09:19 AM
I hope comments about the interface have been noted!

:)

cresshead
08-20-2003, 09:20 AM
speaking personally, i'd sooner have lightwave 8 "right" rather than "right now".

when she's ready to roll..i'll be happy to take her for a test drive!

steve g

erikals
08-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Teaser :)

jr_sunshine
08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
woooooo hooooooo :D

jcool
08-20-2003, 02:30 PM
We are hard at work.....I hope to post a new screen grab this week (no promises) that will get everyone excited about some of the new features that you haven't seen yet :)

Deuce mentioned that they are adding light inclusion to the lights panel. I wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot of that. (Hey, it's small, but it will save me a bunch of time)

milkman
08-20-2003, 02:41 PM
neeeeeeed screeeenshottt

edit: pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeasssssseeeee :)

hrgiger
08-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Hmm, before we were making feature requests and now we're requesting to see which features we'd like Proton to give us a preview of.

I say if there are any improvements to texturing as in new UV tools, 3D paint, shaders, whatever, I'd love to see a screenshot of that....

dark_lotus
08-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Matt
I hope comments about the interface have been noted!

I second that! But hey cool stuff is cool stuff.

milkman
08-20-2003, 11:51 PM
proton, any estimation on when this screenshot will arrive?

Howzat
08-21-2003, 03:47 AM
Any idea what the resolution of the screen shots will be?
I would like to put in a feature request of a minimum of 800*600...
I would also like to see improvements in how fast the images load, without increasing the speed of my Internet connection.
Actually while you're at it, can you make a nice border around the screen shots to make its stand out from the page a bit more, because it's little workflow issues like that that considerably ease my surfing experience.
Oh, and can it be an electronic download, and free, and with adequate documentation :D :D :D

WilliamVaughan
08-21-2003, 06:50 AM
I'm just waiting to get word from the team and I will upload.....

mattclary
08-21-2003, 06:59 AM
OOOOHHHH OOOOHHH!!!!!

Valter
08-21-2003, 07:04 AM
oh god. wait wait wait!!!! let me take a coffee :D

DraZtiK
08-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I say if there are any improvements to texturing as in new UV tools, 3D paint, shaders, whatever, I'd love to see a screenshot of that....

I thought I was the only one interested in this.:)

timsvw
08-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Yes I would love to see better uv tools also.

-Tim
http://www.dinoadventures.com

Wade
08-21-2003, 08:56 AM
"wait wait wait for the man with the balloons"

anieves
08-21-2003, 09:25 AM
proton, I have been sitting in from of the computer since you posted yesterday.... I'm getting hungry! hurry up!:D

j3st3r
08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Hey...My F5 is getting broken, I`m pressing it too often on this topic...

hrgiger
08-21-2003, 10:44 AM
He didn't promise it would be this week or anything...He said he's try.

WilliamVaughan
08-21-2003, 10:51 AM
doesn't look like it will be today...But I will post asap

badllarma
08-21-2003, 11:15 AM
looking forward to it :D

-EsHrA-
08-21-2003, 12:33 PM
ill have a tosti and milk instead....coffee makes me go too much to the toilet... :)

Cheers,

-EsH-

cresshead
08-21-2003, 12:36 PM
..you need to get some self heating ration packs in so you can survive this "waiting" session!.....and a porta loo....

steve g

anieves
08-21-2003, 02:59 PM
he, he I'm off to dinner. It better be a good screen Mr. proton

Lewis
08-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Great :) I'am waiting also.

OK now it's 23:05 here in CET (+1 time zone) so "tommorow" will be soon here ;).

Proton you will setup new TOPIC when you post images - right ?

thanks

WilliamVaughan
08-21-2003, 03:14 PM
yes

cresshead
08-21-2003, 03:26 PM
[ read it like your a sargent in the army giving out orders]

okay you heard the man...keep you eyes peeled for that thread
ya hear!

stay frosty... [line taken out of aliens.......]

Kuzey
08-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Hi Chuck and Newtek team, I'm not sure if you guys were going to add keyboard shortcuts to change the Tabs (Items, Objects, Lights etc)..but, I have made a working mockup that does just that :p

I can email it to you or just post it here...which ever suits you best.

Anyway, it's a Mac OS X program and I mapped the keys as following:

"a" selects Items tab.
"s" selects Objects tab.
"d" selects Lights tab.
"f" selects Camera tab.
"g" selects Scene tab.
"h" selects LScript tab.
"j" selects Display tab.

Press "z" key to cycle tabs from right to left.
Press "x" key to cycle in reverse order.

I think the shortcuts to cycle the tabs should be mapped to the "Option" and "Command" keys but that was too hard for me to do, all the others can be up to you:p

Kuzey

KenM
08-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I'm pining for digital art brushes, something that can be driven with particle distribution. Where's Jon Tindall :confused: ? I'm rarin' to create emotional animated pieces in that style. There's quite a bit of information at http://www.red3d.com/cwr/npr/ , is there a way to incorporate particle-driven NPR into 8?

In particular, check out http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/proj/wnpr/

Pining,

Ken :)

milkman
08-21-2003, 10:55 PM
oh my gosh.

KenM... thats AMAZING
thats absolutely AMAZING!

Newtek... please seriously consider adding this. This is absolutely astounding.

My jaw nearly fell off my face.

I simply cannot express how much I would love to see this in Lightwave. I absolutely LOVE doing toonish work... and this would rullllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeee.

:eek:

shermanlu
08-22-2003, 02:28 AM
that's cool... but save it for the next version...
it's about time to wrap every thing up by now...packing time:D

TSpyrison
08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Lewis
Great :) I'am waiting also.

OK now it's 23:05 here in CET (+1 time zone) so "tommorow" will be soon here ;).

Proton you will setup new TOPIC when you post images - right ?

thanks

Its Tomorrow...

(Twiddling my thumbs...)

:cool:

anieves
08-22-2003, 02:13 PM
I guess it will be next week:mad:

WilliamVaughan
08-22-2003, 02:44 PM
I'm waiting like teh rest of you....as soon as I get word I will upload it.....you could always swing by teh NewTek headquarters and walk by my desk ....:D

CoryC
08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Maybe you could just post a picture of your desk for us and whatever *happens* to be on the screen at the time....

WilliamVaughan
08-22-2003, 02:51 PM
LOL.....never thought of that....now where is my camera :)

Earl
08-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by CoryC
Maybe you could just post a picture of your desk for us and whatever *happens* to be on the screen at the time....

I LIKE that line of thinking!

Lewis
08-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah that would be nice :).

"LightWave 8 live WEB camera" from proton's desk :). Online 24/7 :)

C'mon Villiam - hurry up with setuping that camera ;).

anieves
08-22-2003, 03:16 PM
I bet William's desk is full of Dr.Seuss stuff.:D

WilliamVaughan
08-22-2003, 03:44 PM
It's not quite full of Dr. Seuss stuff....I'm still missing the new Dr. Seuss car toy that is coming out :)

eggy
08-22-2003, 03:49 PM
LOL

let me guess the great LW 8 features are hidden behind this "dr. Seuss stuff", damn I never heard about that stuff anyway.:D

CoryC
08-22-2003, 03:55 PM
I hope you aren't hinting that there will be a 'Make Cat-in-the-hat' button, like the teopot.

WilliamVaughan
08-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by CoryC
I hope you aren't hinting that there will be a 'Make Cat-in-the-hat' button, like the teopot.

Darn...u got me on that one :P

kml12
08-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Come on, where's the screen grab? It looks like Modeler is in the background, possibly utilizing a tool like "Patch It":cool:

anieves
08-22-2003, 04:00 PM
cool 8)

I see modeler in the BG!;)

WilliamVaughan
08-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Darn..I shoudl have pulled more toys over :)

Thanx for being patient....I'll shake the dev team tree and see what falls out

TSpyrison
08-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Darn..I shoudl have pulled more toys over :)

Thanx for being patient....I'll shake the dev team tree and see what falls out

Ya know, Jessie James built a tree (nut) shaker/collector that would do the job quite well..

:D

milkman
08-22-2003, 05:27 PM
is it just me or does that interface behind the cat in the hat look SLIGHTLY different than siggraph?

hurry up, proton! :)

eggy
08-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by milkman
is it just me or does that interface behind the cat in the hat look SLIGHTLY different than siggraph?

hurry up, proton! :)

yap that's XSI, hey Proton what you doing ??? :rolleyes:

DigitalDeuce
08-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by kml12
Come on, where's the screen grab? It looks like Modeler is in the background, possibly utilizing a tool like "Patch It":cool:

No no no -- that looks like a neural-net interface -- he's just thinking about making a character and it models it perfectly with absolute Quads !!

kml12
08-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Deuce, you workin on "STUFF"? You probably know what's on his screen...

DigitalDeuce
08-22-2003, 05:48 PM
I might know -- some stuff.

kml12
08-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Deuce, Go help Proton Shake the tree...

We wanna see...

hrgiger
08-22-2003, 05:52 PM
It's too hard to tell from the screengrab behind Dr. Seuss. But that model looks like it's either utilizing something like the Rounder plug-in or perhaps even edge weighting....?

Or I could be totally on crack.

DigitalDeuce
08-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Dude -- I am the tree.

Things just have a natural progression -- sometimes, things slow it down a bit - but don't worry - we're all about keeping you guys up dated on progress and doing all we can to make everything cool.

I know - I remember - I used to be on the outside not terribly long ago.

milkman
08-22-2003, 05:55 PM
We need a live stream from the Newtek offices. How bout it? That'd actually be pretty sweet. like the siggraph streams.

badllarma
08-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Would be really nice to see some of that new STUFF :D

Well I'm keeping myself busy on my first BIG personal project currently modeling and story boarding.

Waiting for LW 8 to start my character animation and rigging though. Looks like the job will be alot easyer

CB_3D
08-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by badllarma

Waiting for LW 8 to start my character animation and rigging though. Looks like the job will be alot easyer

NEVER, and i mean really NEVER wait for a software version to do a project!!!!!!! That way youŽll never finish (or even begin) it!

anieves
08-22-2003, 06:46 PM
well, modeling and story boarding can be time consuming... It's been 3 yrs and my short film is still in production; so by the time he finishes those tasks LW8 might be already out... maybe 8.5:p

KillMe
08-22-2003, 06:52 PM
yup looks liek rounder or somethign similar to me - doubt its edge weighting - but can hope

CB_3D
08-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Edges would be something iŽve been wanting for years!! Ahh, that would be sooooo nice!:p

Karmacop
08-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Why do people think modeler needs a complete rewrite to support edges :rolleyes:

CB_3D
08-22-2003, 09:34 PM
The LWO format needs a rewrite for that, not Modeler. Once the format supports edges all we need is a few plugs to work with them.

Layout Undos, Splineanimation etc etc supposedly all needed a "complete rewrite", but now we have them (or will have) without the big magic rewrite.

People really tend to underestimate LWs current architecture.

Noclar7
08-22-2003, 10:59 PM
hmm hmmm hmmmm...

EyesClosed
08-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
[B]Layout Undos, Splineanimation etc etc supposedly all needed a "complete rewrite", but now we have them (or will have) without the big magic rewrite. [B]

Those are all half-baked solutions, and not a "real" ones. Note real in quotations.

EyesClosed
08-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Noclar7
hmm hmmm hmmmm...

Haha! Where's the Make Dinosaur button!?

hrgiger
08-22-2003, 11:50 PM
That's pretty funny noclar7. Nice mock-up.:)

hrgiger
08-22-2003, 11:58 PM
That's funny that you see that noclar7, you must have one of those super computers they always have in the movies where you zoom in as far as you want to on a picture and then clean it up with some kind of filter. All I get is this when I zoom in on that bank of tools in modeler 8:;)

Karmacop
08-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the file format needs to be changed. I'm fairly sure you could just add a new chunk, no big deal. Any old loader will just ignore that chunk because they don't recognise it. So the official format and docs would change but it's not like creating a new format. Again, don't quote me on any of that :p

DaveW
08-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Why do people think modeler needs a complete rewrite to support edges :rolleyes:

Because several LW developers have said so in the past. During the LW6 beta I asked about edge support and I think it was Stuart that said Modeler would need a rewrite to have proper edge support. I think Arnie said the same thing on one of the LW forums.

Howzat
08-23-2003, 12:46 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the file format needs to be changed. I'm fairly sure you could just add a new chunk, no big deal. Any old loader will just ignore that chunk because they don't recognise it. So the official format and docs would change but it's not like creating a new format. Again, don't quote me on any of that :p
haha I quoted you! Whatcha gunna do about it??

badllarma
08-23-2003, 01:58 AM
CB_3D

why not wait?
The project is coming on well some of the major models are completed some not started yet, then theres texturing of course!

As this is a personal project, I can afford to wait if once every thing is done then Lightwave 8 is not out THEN I will start rigging and animating but as this is not a commercial release and there is not a problem with time although I do want it out before Q2 2004 I don't really see a problem:)

Karmacop
08-23-2003, 02:08 AM
NOOO!!!! I'm telling my mum on you Howzat! :p

Dave, I think alot of stuff would need to be rewritten, but not too much. It's not like Lightwave will need to start from scratch. 2 years is a long time and they could have added edge support .. not saying that they have, but it wouldn't be impossible to do in that time like alot of people seem to think.

Nemoid
08-23-2003, 07:00 AM
I think they will add some good features, adding plugs and reworking UI workflow and integrating smth, for now.
they are doing a great job, but i dunno about implemented edge manipulation.

however, people (or at least, I personally ) don't ask for a rewrite because of edges, but for other tasks, e.g. plugs communicating with the core, a better sdk and open API, as well as a structure wich allows to use common tools present in modeler for animation , etc, etc, etc...

this doen't means that Lw will not be a great , must-have release indeed. :D

Karmacop
08-23-2003, 08:36 AM
From what people have said it sounds like the guys that have broken off to form lux thought there was too much cludge in LW and wanted to start fresh (which it seems they have). It seems the new LW team will be working through the cludge though .. I guess hacking things in at first but continually cleaning the way it all works so the hacks become what they should have always been.

Although this may not be the best way to work I think it's the best at this point in time. No matter what every system will introduce cludge as technology advances. To think that Maya or Softimage wont need a core rewrite in 10 years time is just silly.

DaveW
08-23-2003, 10:53 AM

Dave, I think alot of stuff would need to be rewritten, but not too much. It's not like Lightwave will need to start from scratch. 2 years is a long time and they could have added edge support .. not saying that they have, but it wouldn't be impossible to do in that time like alot of people seem to think.

2 years should be plenty of time to add it in. However, they lost pretty much their entire development team and had a legal battle to deal with. So I'd be suprised to see it in this next release. I'd rather they wait and do it right instead of hack it in as "edgegons".

As far as how much needs to be re-written, I think just about every tool in Modeler would need to be rewritten, as well as new stuff added to take advantage of edges. Right now, almost every tool works with point, polygon, and volume selections. If they add edges, every tool should also work with edge selections. It would suck to be modeling along only to find that you can't bevel edges (and bevel *should* work on points) or bend doesn't work on edges.

sire
08-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
2 years should be plenty of time to add it in. However, they lost pretty much their entire development team and had a legal battle to deal with. So I'd be suprised to see it in this next release. I'd rather they wait and do it right instead of hack it in as "edgegons".

As far as how much needs to be re-written, I think just about every tool in Modeler would need to be rewritten, as well as new stuff added to take advantage of edges. Right now, almost every tool works with point, polygon, and volume selections. If they add edges, every tool should also work with edge selections. It would suck to be modeling along only to find that you can't bevel edges (and bevel *should* work on points) or bend doesn't work on edges.

But for most tools (like bend, since you mentioned that) edge mode would just mean: look which points are covered by the selected edges and then treat the points as always.

Or at least a tool like David Ikeda's "Select Points" by a polygon selection would be sufficient for a transition. Every tool which doesn't work with edges directly would simply work with the point selection created from the edge selection.

Native edge support would only be necessary for beveling and edge weighting. Or did I miss something? Obviously basic tools like move and rotate should also directly work with edge selections, but this should really be no problem to implement, as I suggested.

I guess the biggest task would be to improve the sub-d engine to support the edge weighting and to add the appropriate chamfer and filleting tools once edges are introduced.

dilaima
08-24-2003, 01:36 PM
so , proton, where are all that stuff, where's is the cat, maybe a cat in the hat is one of the develloper there so plz ask it if it's time to post grabs......:D
plz guys i can't support or resist anymore, i'm dying plz let me c lw[8]

milkman
08-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Proton, can we have a status report on the upcoming screenshot?

Over.
*khhhhhhhh*

heh... watching apollo 13. :)

KenM
08-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by KenM
In particular, check out http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/proj/wnpr/

Two items I'm lusting after for months come online in one entry at Flay. Sabre for node-based shader authoring, and now Jot, which looks to be the WYSIWYG NPR tool.
I am in heaven!

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1840
http://jot.cs.princeton.edu/

TSpyrison
08-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Its monday!

Shake that tree!

anieves
08-25-2003, 09:53 AM
the tree is deuce... proton might be having trouble shaking that tree.:D

just kidding deuce;)

js33
08-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Deuce,

Shake it up! Let's see some goodies. :D

Cheers,
JS

robinson
08-25-2003, 11:10 AM
still waiting :(

dilaima
08-25-2003, 02:26 PM
i think that proton is kidnapped , for that he can't shake the tree
hope that the gang let him free before we die here waiting for the next release screen shots:D

Barred
08-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Maybe Proton shook the tree and it fell on him ;)

anieves
08-26-2003, 06:50 AM
LOL! or maybe he hurt his groin trying to shake the tree... :p

MixedNut
08-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Now there's a topic for a contest.... :p :D

shermanlu
08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi Proton... did U shake that...T..... oh~ bye Proton!
(Proton had just past by...)

sorry guys..I've asked......:p

js33
08-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Proton and/or Deuce,

How's that screen shot coming? No forget that. How's 8 coming.

Cheers,
JS

anieves
08-27-2003, 09:42 AM
somebody stole the print screen key from their keyboard.:D

here itching for LW8 news!

Dick Ma
08-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Sorry, I am tired and bored....

The main course is getting cold.....

Nick
08-27-2003, 07:28 PM
WILLIAM VAUGHAN !!!

RiGLEY
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
waiting is the hardest part. :rolleyes:

Dick Ma
08-27-2003, 09:57 PM
appetizer : Announcement of LW8

soup: Screen Shots

main course: The release of LW8

dessert: Patch! : )

milkman
08-27-2003, 10:35 PM
proton, where be the screenshot?

CTRL+X
08-27-2003, 11:00 PM
7.5d????????????

Whats that all about?

Barred
08-28-2003, 01:29 AM
LW 7.5d = renamed Modeler 8 :p

(only joking)

WilliamVaughan
08-28-2003, 07:33 AM
still waiting on word from above....

j3st3r
08-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Then God said:

Proton, give pictures to the folks...

I`ve heard it! Please....

erikals
08-28-2003, 08:07 AM
(no one has to know...)

hairy_llama
08-28-2003, 10:22 AM
I have a great idea... why don't you, proton, just send everyone in this thread an email with the screen grabs. :) I'm sure you would NOT get into any trouble for doing that. :)

hrgiger
08-28-2003, 11:05 AM
People, be patient.

I'm sure William won't forget...