PDA

View Full Version : -scooter-

cresshead
05-04-2009, 10:26 AM
this was a project to find out how to get a sculpt out of zbrush and into lightwave that uses displacments

found that .psd for the displacements just explode the mesh in lightwave 9.6...maybe newtek will fix that in an update?

anyhow...saved as a tif and it seems to be working now..not 'perfect' but it's def working!:)

so here's a couple of still renders from lightwave 9.6 and a turntable from lightwave as well as a zapplink character sheet from zbrush.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73139&d=1241454243

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73141&d=1241454271

sampei
05-04-2009, 11:29 AM
cool character cresshead, he looks very "palpable"..also the displacement seems to work well !
I hope newtek is reading and fixes that bug in 9.6.1 :)

cresshead
05-04-2009, 12:09 PM
thanks!

i followed proton's vid for the most part...wasn't working until i made a tif version of the displacment map

here's a layout grab and node window for those interested, as you can see the actual mesh pre displacement is quite rough [low res]

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73149&d=1241461614

sampei
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
excellent post, thanks a bunch for the snapshots :thumbsup:

cresshead
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
quick level 20 render with no textures to see how the displacements is working...the ear seems to hilight what's not come over well..down to the rather low res basemesh...i think it may displace better if i used the next level up from that out of zbrush

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73152&d=1241463555

Skinner3D
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
:stumped: Wait, so all of the detail on that character is image based and not modeled? That is really cool.

*adds that the list of things yet to learn in Lightwave* :D (currently like 100 things long) :D

cresshead
05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
:stumped: Wait, so all of the detail on that character is image based and not modeled? That is really cool.

*adds that the list of things yet to learn in Lightwave* :D (currently like 100 things long) :D

yeah it's displacement mapping exported from a sculpting app, i use zbrush but other sculpting apps are blender [free], mudbox2009 and 3dcoat..you can sculpt a really hi poly model...mine was around 2 million polys then drop down the resolution to 8000 polys on export in my exmple and export a greyscale image to resubdivide the lo version back at rendertime in lightwave.

sampei
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM

haha I'm the same, I've got a folder full of tutorial and a dozen books and notes everywhere, and at the same time I want to pick up MAX which I reckon is very popular in the game's industry !
sorry for the ot ;D

cresshead
05-04-2009, 01:49 PM
haha I'm the same, I've got a folder full of tutorial and a dozen books and notes everywhere, and at the same time I want to pick up MAX which I reckon is very popular in the game's industry !
sorry for the ot ;D

no probs with the Off Topic...i used to use books but got fed up with typo's and missing steps in 3dsmax/lightwave commercial books/manuals so i only buy videos nowdays>> see it>..do it>>done it!

if you want to learn 3dsmax then i'd highly reccomend 3dbuzz 3dsmax fundamentals as it's over 100hours of DEEP training...don't go thinking fundamentals=basic it certainly does NOT...it gives you enough knowledge to take on most pro work.
as for zbrush>> digital tutors excellent vids.

...back on topic!:D

sammael
05-05-2009, 03:47 AM
lol cool character mate, well done. :)
One thing, digging out some cavities for the eyes and putting some in rather than sculpting them would add a whole nother level. Sorry if that was said already didnt read the posts... Not sure if your familiar with extracting subtools from the mesh yet either but that can work really well for clothes. Really like the character though.

cresshead
05-05-2009, 05:59 AM
lol cool character mate, well done. :)
One thing, digging out some cavities for the eyes and putting some in rather than sculpting them would add a whole nother level. Sorry if that was said already didnt read the posts... Not sure if your familiar with extracting subtools from the mesh yet either but that can work really well for clothes. Really like the character though.

cheers, this was just a sculpt to try out the "DAM Brush" after watching the octapuss video making of on pixologic's site and then get a sculpt into lightwave..so no big deal re eye's and clothes as he was just a sketch out.

also been t rying out the retopology tools in max 2010 on a imported sculpt...not sure what i prefer just yet..max retopology or zbrush retopology...max is faster but i still like zbrush for looking cleaner in the u.i.

cresshead
05-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Q. does lightwave via plugins have any retopology tools like polyboost/max2010/silo/3dcoat?

geothefaust
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Awesome work there Cress. :)

Sensei has a retopology tool that is similar to (just) one of the retopology tools that exist in 3DC.

http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasyRetopology

lreyes
12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
wow, that is wonderful cresshead. I am still a little aback...So in Zbrush you make a model then bring it into lightwave for animation, am I correct? I want to buy Zbrush, but I think it is expensive, in the 300 dollars range.

pdp editor
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Wow this is great, are there any tuts on this approach to building models in Lightwave?