PDA

View Full Version : Fight, Fight, Fight!

jburford
05-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Come on, lets get some LW wavers over to
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=759513
and get into the action!!

Fight, Fight, Fight.

THREEL
05-04-2009, 08:03 AM
If I'm going to do that, I'm definitely going to have to break down and buy a new monitor. :D

jburford
05-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Let's do it Al! Head out and grab one. Should be fun...

Matt
05-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Ooooh nice! Might take a crack at it, but I know I'll struggle with caustics in LightWave, I could never get them to do anything!

Nicolas Jordan
05-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Looks interesting. I might give it a shot. :)

THREEL
05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I'll have to do it without nodes. I'm only on ver. 8.5. :cry:

IMI
05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks really cool! I think I'll give it a shot.

Nicolas Jordan
05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I'll have to do it without nodes. I'm only on ver. 8.5. :cry:

The old school Lightwave can still do a pretty good job of stuff although I couldn't bring myself to use older versions anymore now that I have used 9.6 for a while.

realgray
05-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to participate.

Nicolas Jordan
05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
From what I can see it doesn't look like we can adjust surfaces. I think it's strictly a lighting contest. I loaded up the scene and it's way out of scale.

Weepul
05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
From what I can see it doesn't look like we can adjust surfaces. I think it's strictly a lighting contest. I loaded up the scene and it's way out of scale.
Of course you can adjust the surfaces, and more. The end focus is on the lighting, but surfacing and composition is as important to lighting as the lights themselves.

From the challenge thread:

As always, changes to the scene and models are allowed, and all 3D rendering techniques are allowed. When you find the time, please share information about your software and techniques and set-up after you post your scene.

I'm attaching here a scene/model that I cleaned up a bit.
[edit] WHOOPS! The surface "Treasure Silver" should be double-sided.

IMI
05-05-2009, 04:48 AM
I loaded up the scene and it's way out of scale.

You ain't kidding there. The cameras are around 200 meters long. :eek:

IMI
05-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Of course you can adjust the surfaces, and more. The end focus is on the lighting, but surfacing and composition is as important to lighting as the lights themselves.

From the challenge thread:

As always, changes to the scene and models are allowed, and all 3D rendering techniques are allowed. When you find the time, please share information about your software and techniques and set-up after you post your scene.

Thanks for the upload, weepul. :)

I think I want to go all out for this... when they say "changes to the scene and models are allowed", I'm assuming they mean up to and including something like making UV maps and adding painted textures for texture, bump, displacement, and all that. Do you know if that's OK?

Nicolas Jordan
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the cleaned up scene. I assume we can tweak the camera positions if we want, right?

toby
05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
You can do whatever you want. Check the previous galleries here:
http://www.3drender.com/challenges/
Thanks Weepul!