PDA

View Full Version : Displacement textures? How?

GraphXs
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
In the surface editor under the node based there is a channel node for displacements, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I hook a map to it? My curiosity with this channel is because of all the wonderful V-Ray displacements textures that are made; the displacements are just put through the material side of Max/V-ray and not at the object displacement level, and displacements will only be viewed at render time. Does LWs work the same way? :help:

Thanks for any help

V-Ray materials look here:

http://www.vray-materials.de/all_materials.php?mat=1043

SplineGod
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Its treated like bump displacement. You have to turn that on in the deform tab where it says enable bump. In LW you can seed the displacements in opengl in realtime.

GraphXs
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Ya, thats what I thought, on the object level, but what is the displacement function under the surface node used for? If I had a displacemnet map from Z-Brush do I need to put it throught the object displacment channel (doesn't that require alot of polygons/sud-D's) or the surface node displacment channel? Can such maps as the V-Ray ones be done in LW without the additional geometry?

Sensei
05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Displacement in Surface Node Editor is per surface. You can have multiple surfaces in one object and control their displacements independently from other surfaces. This is real geometry displacement, so you have to have sub-patches with high level to get nice look.

SplineGod
05-02-2009, 09:13 PM
You can create details using more geometry but also create the illusion of more detail by using Normal maps and bump maps.
The displacment in the surface node still works the same way using bump displacement.