PDA

View Full Version : NewTek LightWave 3D - A Vital Weapon in the "Battle for Terra"

BeeVee
05-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Some of NewTek's San Antonio team are going to see Battle for Terra this evening on its opening night and will post pictures on the NewTek site. NewTek has also posted this press release (http://www.newtek.com/news/pressrelease.php?viewpr=106).

B

jasonwestmas
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
No thanks, story line is awful. I'm glad LW is being used however.

geothefaust
05-01-2009, 02:53 PM
No thanks, story line is awful. I'm glad LW is being used however.

I disagree. I think the story is great.

It's all a matter of opinion. :)

SplineGod
05-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I have to agree with Jason on this. I saw the short a while ago and thought it was the sold old rehashed story of humans destroying their environment or someone elses.

SBowie
05-03-2009, 08:57 AM
I have to agree with Jason on this. I saw the short a while ago and thought it was the sold old rehashed story of humans destroying their environment or someone elses.Isn't that the sub-text of > 50% of the lucrative animated Hollywood kid's fare these days though?

JeffrySG
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with Jason on this. I saw the short a while ago and thought it was the sold old rehashed story of humans destroying their environment or someone elses.

Yeah, but that would be the same as saying that the "Incredibles" sucked because it was a rip off of the "watchmen" story concept. I have not seen the movie yet but I won't judge the movie until I actually see it. I hope it will be good though.

Tom Wood
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM

If the story for Cameron's Avatar sticks to the treatment that was online a few years back, you're not gonna like that one either.

3DGFXStudios
05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
check the trailer in HD! Looks very nice. http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/battleforterra/

shrox
05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Render times are the killer for personal and indie projects, radiosity, DOF, hypervoxels and volumetrics jump my render times up to hours a frame at 1920 HD, full 2k even more!

prometheus
05-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Well..I didnīt get any wow feeling at all, I personally didnīt find the created characters interesting but rather dull, and overall style isnīt looking good either for my taste.

The fact that itīs a full cg sci-fi fantasy movie done with lightwave
with little resources, doesnīt make it better.

Maybe a bad trailer.

Michael

cresshead
05-03-2009, 12:12 PM
trailer looks okay, to honest there's hardly any film these days that get's me off to the cinema..i'll most probably see this on dvd, either rental or once it drops below the price dvd's go for on release thesedays.

i've yet to see a steroscopic film that 'works' and is worth seeing in stereo.

Cageman
05-03-2009, 12:31 PM
The fact that there are no talking animals in this one makes me want to see it. I've got so bored with those talking animals movies that Dreamworks and others have put out through the years. Sure, they have more resources and more time to polish, but that doesn't make a talking animal film interresting enough for me (except for studying cartoon animation poses, anticipation and line of action).

jin choung
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
The fact that there are no talking animals in this one makes me want to see it. I've got so bored with those talking animals movies that Dreamworks and others have put out through the years. Sure, they have more resources and more time to polish, but that doesn't make a talking animal film interresting enough for me (except for studying cartoon animation poses, anticipation and line of action).

unless it's a whole different kind of talking animal!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/01/inside-pixars-up-dug-the-talking-dog-featurette/

jin

geothefaust
05-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Agreed. I am sick of all the CG animal films. How about something different?

Cageman
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
unless it's a whole different kind of talking animal!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/01/inside-pixars-up-dug-the-talking-dog-featurette/

jin

Aye...

Pixar are king of the hill and have done alot of different kinds of movies from talking animals to talking cars and stylized humans. I think that their best movie so far is The Incredibles... LOVE it. :) Wall-E was very neat as well... the amazing thing with that movie is that there is very little dialogue, but still quite interresting and fun, especially the first 40 or so minutes.

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Well..I didnīt get any wow feeling at all, I personally didnīt find the created characters interesting but rather dull, and overall style isnīt looking good either for my taste.

The fact that itīs a full cg sci-fi fantasy movie done with lightwave
with little resources, doesnīt make it better.

Maybe a bad trailer.

Michael

The trailers arent that great IMO but I saw the short film version of this quite awhile ago. It was as unappearling then as it is now. There werent many who I was with that liked it either. The weird thing to me is that the characters dont look much different then what we saw then.

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but that would be the same as saying that the "Incredibles" sucked because it was a rip off of the "watchmen" story concept. I have not seen the movie yet but I won't judge the movie until I actually see it. I hope it will be good though.

I saw both and never made that connection. I thought both movies were very different and very good.

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 04:25 PM
If the story for Cameron's Avatar sticks to the treatment that was online a few years back, you're not gonna like that one either.

Actually I worked on that doing previz work. I got to see alot of things. The art aspect is incredible. The story I agree has some similar elements but VERY different enough that I think the film will be pretty cool. :)

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Isn't that the sub-text of > 50% of the lucrative animated Hollywood kid's fare these days though?

Maybe but even alot of CGI shows on TV I think are much better. Stormhawks is an example fo a cool exaggerated style and fun to watch.

Final Fantasy was another big budget movie with a similar storyline. It was great eye candy except the facial animation. It tanked at the box office too.
The story was different enough IMO to be interesting. What killed it for me and my wife though was that the characters were way too wooden. When youre shooting for that level of realism in CGI if the characters dont move or emote properly it becomes distracting and disturbing.

Dexter2999
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know about this movie. I like many of the design elements. But I think they hit the same flaw that DELGO hit...their character design isn't compelling enough.
The other design elements inthe created world and the detailed ships look good. I think they did a great job in lighting things.

The voice performances seem okay, but it's hard to get into them because the characters just seem a little on the generic side.

I'm not trying to slam anyone or being insulting. It's just my opinion but the character design doesn't seem to be on a par with the other artistic elements in the movie.

I don't mind the storyline rehash. I've seen it...what??...like five times in Myazaki's movies. Yes, yes... we are destroying the world. What do THESE characters bring to this plot device that we haven't seen before?

And to the point about THE INCREDIBLES and WATCHMEN...yes they lifted the idea of a false alien invasion to promote and agenda. They also lifted the idea for the first season of HEROS, using a nuclear blast to destroy New York and unite the world.

cresshead
05-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Maybe but even alot of CGI shows on TV I think are much better. Stormhawks is an example fo a cool exaggerated style and fun to watch.

dude!...another storm hawks fan!:thumbsup:
got it on DVD...fun show and snappy animation:beerchug:

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Not to mention that StormHawks probably cost much less to produce and will probably make more money. To be honest Ive found shows on TV like StormHawks to be far more inspirational then may bad feature films. Also something like Storm Hawks will have more exposure in the long run. :)

Tom Wood
05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Actually I worked on that doing previz work. I got to see alot of things. The art aspect is incredible. The story I agree has some similar elements but VERY different enough that I think the film will be pretty cool. :)

That's encouraging. I remember the plot device being cool, before that other movie with a similar plot device came out. :D

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
To be honest I thought the same thing you did (shades of Final Fantasy) when I first heard what it was about. After reading the script its very different. James Camerons also been a big environmentalist too.

SBowie
05-03-2009, 05:38 PM
When youre shooting for that level of realism in CGI if the characters dont move or emote properly it becomes distracting and disturbing.I certainly agree, FF stills looked amazing - and fell apart as soon as anyone moved spoke. Another egregious example was Polar Express.

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 05:50 PM
The term Tom reminded me of is the 'uncanny valley'. Polar Express was pretty disturbing and to some extent Beowulf too. I thought a great use of the uncanny valley was the Simpal Cindy doll in the movie The 6th Day. :)

SBowie
05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
... and to some extent Beowulf too.I couldn't bring myself to view Beowulf (nor read it in 1st year English, even though the prof. was rather cute).

Titus
05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
The cartoonbrew commentary on this movie:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/battle-for-terra-talkback.html

"Last night Asifa Hollywood held a membership screening of Battle For Terra which opens theatrically today in the United States. I saw the film last year at the Ottawa International Animation Festival, where it won the prize for Best Feature. A lot of us (myself included) were bummed that Sita Sings The Blues didn’t win the prize, but we still admired Terra (as it was called then) for it’s storytelling and it’s visual scope.

Now in 3-D, and away from festival competition, I watched the film again last night — and I have to admit I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. I even think the 3-D enhanced the experience. I did a Q & A with director/co-writer Aristomenis Tsirbas after the screening and was amazed to learn that the entire film was produced in L.A. with a crew of 20 people, in a building on the corner of Wilshire and LaBrea, over a period of two years. Tsirbas, a Hollywood effects animator, spent years working on the concept, originally conceived as a live action film - and spent many hours of down time creating a short which he used to sell the concept to investors. Despite its all-star voice cast, Battle For Terra is an independent film in the truest sense of the term. It had an extremely low budget and was made way outside the traditional studio system. And it’s turned out to be quite an entertaining little sci-fi family film. "

SplineGod
05-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Overall I didnt mind Beowulf. The facial animation again was distracting sometimes and some of the characters ranged from looking like ones from Shrek to pretty realistic.

shrox
05-03-2009, 07:47 PM
What is the deal with bad facial animation? The lips and jaw most often just don't move enough, even if it was a little over enunciated that would be somewhat better. Most often the characters appear to be mumbling. I did better on "The Hive" 15 years ago with 3D Studio just using 5 morphs and eyeballing it. Even though characters are not my favorite thing to do, I think I'll add some lip sync to my show reel.

Chuck
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
The trailers arent that great IMO but I saw the short film version of this quite awhile ago. It was as unappearling then as it is now. There werent many who I was with that liked it either. The weird thing to me is that the characters dont look much different then what we saw then.

On the other hand, the same short was liked by many others who've seen it, won a number of awards on the film festival circuit and drew the attention of investors who financed a theatrical version. I enjoyed the short version and I enjoyed the movie, and the story isn't really cut and dried humans bad/aliens good, thankfully, nor even is any character particularly all good or all bad, all right or all wrong, perhaps with just a very few exceptions (General Hemmer, though the case can be made that his devotion to human survival is meritorious in itself, it's just the lengths he is willing to go to that in the end make him the villain of the piece).

I would expect that given the story line, the movie is going to have folks it will appeal to and folks that it won't. Humans bad/aliens good has been done before and no doubt will be again, same as aliens bad/humans good has been a staple plot that will keep churning up in future productions. Fresh approaches and good characters can make it appealing for some portion of the audience, and this approach worked well for me, and there are some incredible visuals as well.

Regardless how well this does at the box office this pass, I suspect that will not be the end of the story for the film. I found myself thinking of other films that did not immediately find their audience, but later gained considerably wider acceptance, and I think this may be the case with Battle for Terra.

SplineGod
05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Im sure some did like it. Obviously SOME did go see the movie. The point is that probably not enough did. Word of mouth and reviews will further determine who pays to see it or n ot. Theres also the chance that DVD sales could do well. Some movies do better on DVD then at the box office. Im sure future potential investors will look at all that. Maybe Terra dolls or lunch box sales will help too...

Cageman
05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Im sure some did like it.

I'm sure many liked it...

Titus
05-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I would expect that given the story line, the movie is going to have folks it will appeal to and folks that it won't.

I find Meni visual style not appealing to general audiences. But I hope they get success with a niche market as big as possible.

colkai
05-06-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm sure many liked it...

I'm sure many more will too. If we sat around waiting for a new story line with fresh characters and what not, the cinemas would close pretty gosh durn quickly. Ain't nowt new under the sun, unless you count the noir art films and really, who da heck watches them? :p

Larry_g1s
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
To some degree, the story (atleast from the trailer) doesn't make me feel like it's a must see. That said, it doesn't look bad (Delgo I'm looking in your direction), it still looks watchable.

On a NT/LW end, I love it. I think this show one of the reasons why LW is soo great. The quality/visuals of the film look great. They may not look Pixar quality, but a not too distant second where it looks cheesy. Why I say this shows off one of the reason LW is so great, is because it allows people/group/small-med size companies to actually do something like this with out compromising the quality. Multiple seats aren't going to break the bank. I think something like this is inspirational in the sense that doing a feature film with quality, isn't left up to just a select few.

Larry_g1s
05-08-2009, 10:21 AM
...and will post pictures on the NewTek site.[/URL].

BWhere are the pics BeeVee?

Nangleator
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Final Fantasy was another big budget movie with a similar storyline. It was great eye candy except the facial animation.
Almost any single still from the movie is a beautiful piece of artwork, and I got past the facial animation, mostly, except for Donald Sutherland's character, who sounded too much like Donald Sutherland without looking anything like him.

What bothered me most about that movie was the storyline. It fell into the same trap many sf/fantasy movies do, where the heroes win in the end by just doing something magical. I mentally check out when the hero does something that is beyond the laws of even that universe, and he/she is able to simply because they're angrier than the bad guy, or something. In FF, I just stopped understanding what was going on or what were the consequences of any action.

The magic trick actually worked in The Matrix, when Neo came back to life, because we knew there was something special about him, yet we hadn't seen it yet.

It failed utterly in Matrix 3 because how could we know that Neo losing to Agent Smith would be bad for Agent Smith, at all?