PDA

View Full Version : Simplest way to get Occlussion Pass?

Costanel
05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
With some new renders, I need to get a decent occlussion pass for post-tweaking.
Problem is, the standard buffer exporters don't export them, and otherwise I need to adjust all materials to get the pass.

Is there an easier way to get an occlusion pass? For instance by using a Dome Light?
I've tried using this light, but can't get only this light out of a pass.
I'm sure there is an easier way to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Captain Obvious
05-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Buy shaderMeister, by DB&W. It is, by far, the easiest way.

Tobian
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Have you tried using DP's dome light. This has an occlusion mode, with a range limit, which should render into your shadow buffer. Disable your other lights, add a Dpdome, set to occlusion mode, use the shadow buffer export and you should get that in there?

wildr3d
05-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Is there an easier way to get an occlusion pass? For instance by using a Dome Light?
I've tried using this light, but can't get only this light out of a pass.
I'm sure there is an easier way to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Try the PomNodes set, the occlusion node respects bump and normal maps. And it's free.

http://www.db-w.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,84/func,fileinfo/id,58/

Dodgy
05-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I use the DPkit with any of the occlusion nodes to get this kind of pass.
Check out this quick and dirty tutorial
http://www.lightwiki.com/Render_passes_using_DPKit_and_DPFilter

toby
05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Not having access to 3rd party buffer export plugins (mac) what I've done is to put the occlusion into an unused scalar channel like specular or luminosity.

Oh sorry that only works if you're comping the final image manually.

adamredwoods
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I use the DPkit with any of the occlusion nodes to get this kind of pass.
Check out this quick and dirty tutorial
http://www.lightwiki.com/Render_passes_using_DPKit_and_DPFilter

That is cool.

Dodgy
05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Toby, ask him for a compile, I'm sure someone will help out.

toby
05-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Toby, ask hi for a compile, I'm sure someone will help out.
Nah that'd be too good to be true :D
Thanks Dodge, I'll do that!

Costanel
05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the advice! Some very interesting suggestions, no holy grail yet though.

Have you tried using DP's dome light. This has an occlusion mode, with a range limit, which should render into your shadow buffer. Disable your other lights, add a Dpdome, set to occlusion mode, use the shadow buffer export and you should get that in there?

I checked that, but strangely enough it shows nearly only black in the render. And apparantly it can't look past objects when inside shadows are needed. (Inside a home in this case)

Buy shaderMeister, by DB&W. It is, by far, the easiest way
Looks nice and handy, but 47 euro is not something I simply can spend without thinking(poor student) :D

It looks like all alternatives need to edit all materials by hand..., since I have 20+ materials, this is far from handy and costs a lot of time. I would like to have a way to quickly switch between Occlusion buffer and normal renders.

Any other suggestions? :thumbsup:

Tobian
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Are you sure you did it right? I put the light outside the object, and it was lighting it fine if you set the shadow type to 'occlusion' and NOT 'LW shadows' Not sure what you're doing wrong really.. hmm.

Costanel
05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Okay, I got occlussion mode working, the occlusion size was too big apparantly.
You were right, I tested it wrong.

Now for a way to just get the shadow buffer of this light, than it would be perfect.
Is there a way to get the shadow buffer of just one light?

Disabling the other lights works of course, but only the buffer of the dome light removes that step as well.

Thanks! :)

toby
05-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Is there a way to get the shadow buffer of just one light?

Disabling the other lights works of course, but only the buffer of the dome light removes that step as well.
That's *exactly* why 3d apps need to be scriptable! I'm afraid you're stuck.

Costanel
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
One update(sorry for the bump):

For anyone using the dome-only lighting for making an occlusion pass:

If it is not working, also check if you have ray trace shadows on!
All the other settings(incl radiosity) can be turned off to speed rendering.
Render Shadow Buffer of the Render Buffer View won't use this information.

Good Luck, I find it very handy to use! :)

Greets,

Costanel