PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #36 - Musical Instruments that I don't dare play.

adamredwoods
04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #36 - Musical Instruments that I don't dare play.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - Musical Instruments that I don't dare play.

Read: No guitars. Too many models out there already! :)
Select a musical instrument that is too difficult to play, embarrassing to play, something you just don't want to play, or an instrument that is potentially lethal.

Valid ideas would be: accordion, zither, tuba, the saw, alpenhorn, Kazookeylele, mouth harp, nitroglycerine drums, etc.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 6 May 2200 GMT.

R.Feeney
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Good one

And a great job on the vehicle in the last one, I forgot to say :)

THREEL
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Congrats Adam! :D This looks like it could be interesting. I have something in mind. Hope I get a chance to do it.

COBRASoft
04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Very nice idea. I hope I'll find some time for this one.

Hopper
04-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Hmmm .. So I'm guessing a meat piccolo would be highly inappropriate. :D

THREEL
05-01-2009, 08:51 AM
This isn't what I originally had in mind, which I might try later, but I stumbled on this and couldn't pass it up. It's a Tesla Coil. Looks dangerous to me! Now, I think they actually have it hooked up to an electronic instrument, such as a synthesizer. I just had time for the tesla coil, lightning bolts, and room, though.

Please, let me know how the render looks on your end. My monitor's really dark. I tried to make it look good on your end. If I went for the right look on my end, I'm sure it'd be way too bright for you guys.

Modeling time: 60 min.
Layout/Texturing: 3 Hrs.

THREEL
05-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I forgot! Check this Tesla Coil video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opf5jIukSBM&feature=related

Mark The Great
05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
This isn't what I originally had in mind, which I might try later, but I stumbled on this and couldn't pass it up. It's a Tesla Coil. Looks dangerous to me! Now, I think they actually have it hooked up to an electronic instrument, such as a synthesizer. I just had time for the tesla coil, lightning bolts, and room, though.

Please, let me know how the render looks on your end. My monitor's really dark. I tried to make it look good on your end. If I went for the right look on my end, I'm sure it'd be way too bright for you guys.

Modeling time: 60 min.
Layout/Texturing: 3 Hrs.

Darn it! That's the one I was thinking of!

Brightness is fine here.

flakester
05-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Nice subject Adam!
And a great entry from you THREEL, awesome stuff.

My first entry: A razor-wire Harp.
Close to the wire (every pun intended! :P ) at 56 mins for the modelling, about 1.5 hours for the rest, all told.

Happy to share the model should anyone want it.
Apologies for the plethora of pics, but I wanted to get some detail shots in there!

--
flakester

oobievision
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
ok heres my odd instrument, its a glass harmonica. Modeling took around 50 min texturing 10, render took 45 min. Anyone who wants the model let me know.

Edit: Woops ill re render to the desired scale

Ok I added the new renders at 800x600

THREEL
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
tHANX Flakester! Great job on your razor harp, too. :thumbsup:

BTW--You still have 4 minutes to model & array a band-aid. ;)

oibeevision--People who play glass harmonicas shouldn't throw stones. Wait a minute, that's glass houses! Never mind. :D Super job with your entry as well.

PixelDust
05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Here's something you wouldn't want to play... the Cobraphone!

Time spent modeling: 60 minutes (I didn't get time to clean up the mallet)
Texturing/Rendering - 20 minutes

NOTE: I moved the cobras over in Layout so they'd be centered. I thought it would look better that way.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind sharing the model. It is rather simple, though, and I didn't have time to make the cobras full length.

adamredwoods
05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Great work everyone!

THREEL
05-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Darn it! That's the one I was thinking of!

Brightness is fine here.

Happens to me all the time. :p

That's one of my favorite lines from all the Indy movies. This one came in The Last Crusade.

tHANX for the feedback, Mark!

Great job on the Wack-A-Cobra, I mean Cobraphone, PD. I wonder if you'll have to pay CobraSoft royalties for it.

oobievision
05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
thats sweet I think I would actually wana play the cobraphone, hmmm is it just hishes and squishy sounds lol

THREEL
05-01-2009, 10:36 PM
thats sweet I think I would actually wana play the cobraphone, hmmm is it just hishes and squishy sounds lol

I don't know. They'd probably spit venom in your eye, if you whacked 'em hard enough. :D

JCG
05-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, this instrument is not really dangerous physically (though maybe in the right hands...), but socially, it can be more destructive than any!

oobievision
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
nice accordion

COBRASoft
05-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey,

I've made a panflute with little killing arrows that can be put in the pipes.

Modelling took 20 minutes, texturing/light setup/camera about an hour.

Greetings,
Sigurd

IMI
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Wow! Really great entries so far!

Here's my meager contribution...

My Uncle Cletus, former leader of the Five Man Hicksville Jug Band, a quartet out of Hicksville, Alabama, died of swine flu last week and left me his official home-made "Playin' Jug".
(Not to be confused with his Chuggin' Jug, which was buried with him under his '72 Ford station wagon out on blocks in the front yard.)

The jug is "played" by putting one's mouth over the open end and blowing into it. I don't dare play it...

Modeling time... about 10 minutes. :D

Yeah, I know, I know... I don't have time for anything serious though, but I had this idea and had to do something about it. ;)

robert_Lavigne
05-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Not really a dangerous instrument, though 'm pretty sure I've seen a loony tunes where someone gets beat up with a trumpet. Thats my story anyways.

If anyone would like this just give me a shout.

Robert

IMI
05-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Wow, that trumpet really looks excellent there, Robert, really nice render, too. Looks like maybe some poster you'd see in a jazz club. :thumbsup:

Hopper
05-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Hey,

I've made a panflute with little killing arrows that can be put in the pipes.

Oh I like this one. The surfacing and reflections look like they are supposed to. I like the contrast. Mind sharing the scene?

COBRASoft
05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Oh I like this one. The surfacing and reflections look like they are supposed to. I like the contrast. Mind sharing the scene?

Thanks! Enjoy it.

COBRASoft
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey,

Just made a dajre. Nice instrument, just stay off the bells, they could harm you :)

1 hour modelling (the bells gave me some problems), 1.5 hour for the rest.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Hopper
05-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks! Enjoy it.
Gracias sir. It was a good reminder to reload my DP plugins! :)

COBRASoft
05-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Gracias sir. It was a good reminder to reload my DP plugins! :)

DP Infinite, all the way :)

flakester
05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Had to get another one in before the deadline, need to get more practice in.

I present my Electrified Tubular Bells - all you have to do is complete the circuit!

Just under the full hour for modelling, and about 50 mins for the layout and render. Happy to share the model and scene as always.

Great stuff from everyone; especially loving the accordian, the pan-pipes, the trumpet, the jug and the tamborine.... you know what, they're all pretty ace! :thumbsup: Awesome works.

--
flakester.

adamredwoods
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Great stuff from everyone, I didn't know what to expect! Wish I had more time to enter too.

JUDGING RESULTS:

PixelDust, Flakester, Cobrasoft, Threel, IMI, you all totally seized the concept and then some. Cobra xylophone is outrageous, love it.

Robert, oobievision, Flakesters harp, great details on the models there and renders really popped.

But the big winner goes to.... JCG for even attempting to model an accordion! Holla!
Great model, efficient and well planned out. The curve in the bellows sold it.

Kuzey
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Way to go JCG :thumbsup:

How did you spread the bellows out like that...by hand or is there a trick.

I also like the glass harmonica, I had to google just to see it's a real instrument :thumbsup:

Who's go is it to pick the next topic. I think someone is before me but if not...I'm thinking soapbox cars, billy carts and peddle cars. Since they are all similar and what not....hopefully should be fun.

Also, the time limit should be about 90 minutes or maybe 120 minutes.

Kuzey

IMI
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Congratulations, JCG, for the win and for a totally excellent model! :thumbsup:

And everybody else, too - the entries to these challenges keep getting better and better as time goes on. :)

PixelDust
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
JCG, congratulations! Modeling an accordion in an hour is quite a feat.

I also liked the barbed-wire harp.

COBRASoft
05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Congrats JCG! Well deserved win.

oobievision
05-08-2009, 12:10 AM
well deserved win, congrats! i love the bend you did on the bellows very authentic!

thanks Kuzey yeah a friend on a Half life 2 clan forum that im a member of posted a youtube video on the glass harmonica on the day that this speed challenge was introduced inspired me cause I though it was a challenging instrument and that it totally fit the topic. also that Benjamin Franklin wa the inventor of this instrument was cool. also from the video I saw that this instument actually caused illness/death cause the original glass harmonicas where made with lead glass bowls. but unfortunately I did not win ( doest mean I wont try harder on the next one), but I must say that even if that model was half built on the accordion it still beat all. great detail awsome Job Congrats JCG awsome job!

oh how about for the next topic machines that fly?

flakester
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
ORSM job JCG, congrats! :thumbsup:
Well done all, great stuff.

--
flakester

JCG
05-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Wh...wha...?
I didn't even think to check; When I saw how smoothly that trumpet curved around to a lower diameter, all I could think was, "My hero!"

I would like to thank the Academy, and all my fans! Mom, if you're reading this, this is for you!!
(lol, big, fat chance that she is)

How did you spread the bellows out like that...by hand or is there a trick.You'll be disappointed. It was just rotating by hand. The bellows were actually the fastest part of the model to complete. The rest was just a lot of cplane. I was surprised at how easily it went. 14 minutes for the bellows, including planning and trial and error. In fact... I'll be right back.

Back. I've attached the bellow-making process encoded with xvid. It only took about 9 minutes this time, even though I goofed up a couple of times. It would be great to hear of easier approaches.

Time to celebrate; let's Polka!!!

colkai
05-11-2009, 02:23 AM
... The rest was just a lot of cplane. I was surprised at how easily it went.
Have you tried using JettoLocal instead, unlike CPlane, you can really muck about with the geometry and even save the model in it's 'shifted' state as the info needed to "undo" it is held as the layer name. Not that cplane isn't good, I used it myself often, but you may find jettolocal handy too. :)

JCG
05-11-2009, 03:04 AM
Cool tip! Thank you!

ncr100
05-19-2009, 06:00 PM
These are hilarious. Thank you everyone for the giant laughs.