PDA

View Full Version : boolean

yorkshiretyker
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm trying to model a wall which has 5 windows in it, however the boolean tool seems to be screwing up on 2 of the windows and it seems to be 1 plane that is causing the problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Boris Goreta
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Try cutting the wall in two using knife and then use boolean

JeffrySG
04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
It also helps if you post a screen grab of your problem areas. Show some wireframes.

Silkrooster
04-30-2009, 05:46 PM
You can also just select the polys you want a hole in then use drill or drill solid. do one wall at a time after your subtraction do a points merge, then continue on to the next wall.

Hopper
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Oddly enough, I remember having the exact problem while creating a basic 3D plan of my house. Since the windows I wanted were along the same "wall", I tried a simple boolean. The first 2 worked, but then the third freaked out. Like Silk said. Always get into a habit of merging after every boolean operation and when possible only select the poly's involved in the actual cut. It will decrease the time it takes to calculate. If you have a rather large model, it will make a big difference.

Surrealist.
05-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Sometimes Boolean operations like that (Simple cuts into a plane) will cause Open Gl problems but will render fine. If not you can just try to rebuild the polys by hand.