PDA

View Full Version : Facial Rigging...

RebelHill
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
So I just put the finishing touches to the face rig thats gonna be going on my upcoming reel, thought id give u all a preview... This is for a long running project with a buddy of mine, where ive recently been finalising the body animation... so facials are next. Originally this was setup with joytrol, but it required a bunch more controllers than I got here to get as much functionality out of, and JT has also become a lil twitchy in the 9x series, so I decided screw it... build a new rig from scratch, itll lead to a better final product, and I needed a full featured rig to shove on my demo... 2 birds, etc.

Hope you like it.

Now I gotta run... hunt down wild pizza, and get on sofa before desperate houswives starts in 45mins.

geothefaust
04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Craig my man, that is the EFFING shizbots! Without a doubt. I like your quick but informal style you do for videos. it's more personal. :)

Anyway, that is bad ***. I must know, how are you doing this "soft eyes" movement thing?

EDIT: Oh, enjoy Housewives, lol. :p

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I reserve this for those moments deemed appropriate:
Big Daddy! Mind sittin' your *** down and doing a tute I can follow for the three months I'm gonna have off for the summer? I got money...

Inappropriate grammar intended.

I sure hope Core has a better 'armature' system. (Stolen from the messiah nomenclature I'm learning.) What you have here looks really good but I really like the idea of the frozen cell: keep what you need there, not moving with the scene.
Sweet, though, as I hope was understood in the first part of this note.

RebelHill, Keep it comin'. Put a paypal link up somewhere.

hrgiger
04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Nice rigging RH.

Maybe you could have picked a little more quiet of a spot to broadcast from, like maybe Yankee Stadium?:)

HR

RebelHill
04-30-2009, 03:21 AM
I must know, how are you doing this "soft eyes" movement thing?

oh thats so easy... duplicate your eye bones, weight map them to the eyelids, and use follower so they follow the movement of the eye bones just a fraction (i usually do 10% side to side, and 30% up/down)

Its the secondary shape controllers that took a bit of thought..

glad u guys enjoyed it.

geothefaust
04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah man, I can imagine. I was wondering how you do those, I'll have to take a look on your Jerico to see how you did the secondary facial controls.

Thanks for the tip on the eyes, that stuff adds so much character. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that technique? :)

GregMalick
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Nice rig.

Is it the screen capture software that makes everything look sluggish or is it a LW thing?

BTW, hearing your accent, I'm guessing that you're in Jersey, England (not New Jersey USA). And you just happen to be a Yankees Fan (or you simply like the hat). :D

Cageman
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
A neat rig! :)

And, as GregMalick asked, I do wonder the same thing. Is it the screencapture or LW that makes it look sluggish as hell?

:)

geothefaust
04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
It's probably screen cap, he's on a laptop too. When I try to do screen cap on my laptop it lags like a tortoise. It even lags a bit on my workstation when I do screen cap.

Larry_g1s
04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
I know LW is a bit behind the times in comparison to some of the other 3D apps (of which I'm confident NT will fix in CORE), but I really love what you guys (geothefaust included) are showing because it shows why LW is still so good even based on an aging architecture. It's a great program in the right hands.

RebelHill
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
well im glad y'all like it... and no, the screencap runs full speed, so does my laptop... its laggy cos theres so much stuff in that scene... 3 characters, bunch of props, and over 3000 frames of animation curves... so its sluggish with the head as it appears at subd 1... if i put just the face on its own in a clean scene, i can push it upto subd 4 and its still realtime... its just how much stuffs loaded into memory i guess.. LWs never handled such things particularly well...

and yes... jersey in great britain... but not in england

h2oStudios
05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Excellent rig! You're seriously making the best of LW's stuff; it seems that most of this is tech that's been in LW since, to my knowledge, 7.5. Let me guess, the secondary controls are bones which follow control nulls (Contstraints, or Follow Items using World Co-), and the control nulls are somehow parented or linked to particular joytrol nulls, all happily in harmony with endomorphs; so that you can use morphs with joytrols while the secondaries follow along and behave as children?:screwy: Pardon me, I've gone coockoo for rigging puffs lately, but correct me if I'm wrong.:D

CHEERS!