PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Core - few questions...

Paul_Boland
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi Folks.

Haven't seen any Core topics pop up in a while. Hope it's not a banned topic and that's why they aren't here! Hehe! I have a few questions I hope to get some answers for...

1. From what we know, Core is going to be an intergrated package. No more Modeller and Layout, but one solid package. What does this mean for us? At the moment, we model and name surfaces in Modeller and then into Layout for texturing, Sasquatch, and animation. I have to admit, I like the idea of going for one intergrated package, the two program approach at the moment kind of drives me mad. But what will this mean? Will our old Object and Scene files work ok? Will there be changes in the workflow (of course, but what?)? Any insight appreciated.

2. I have to say I'm a HUGE FAN of Sasquatch. Will there be a Core version available?

3. How will I move over to Core? To answer this I have to tell you where I am at the moment! LOL!! I am working with Lightwave 8.5. My sister bought Lightwave 8, the Educational Version, when she was in college but it was me who took it up, she didn't. So it's in her name. How do I make the move from Lightwave 8.5 Educational Version to Lightwave Core? Is it just a matter of paying the difference in price? Any input appreciated.

4. Finally, don't want to sound silly here, but I have to say I'm a small bit lost on all the WOW!! factor over Core. I have a fairly good footing in Lightwave now but I'd still very much class myself as a beginner. Can someone please tell me what the WOW!! factors are about Core over the current version of Lightwave?

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
1. Good question. You probably won't get an answer to that until Sept.
2. Ask Worley.
3. Pay the diff, call customer support and let them know the facts. Done.
4. Look at Houdini. Then, imagine you can afford it. That's the WOW! factor.

hrgiger
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
It's not a banned topic by any means but for those of us who are using CORE right now, Newtek has asked us not to reveal things that we know about CORE.

So with that said...

1. CORE will support your .lwo files so you will be able to load older Lightwave objects into CORE. However, I think the architecture is completely different and I'm not sure that older scene files will be able to be loaded or not. That's not to say it won't be possible to save out motion files and bring those in, but it's too early to say and a lot of things will change in CORE over the next several months.

2. At some point, Newtek is going to release the SDK for CORE which will allow 3rd parties to write plug-ins for CORE. Newtek is trying to make most if not all CORE elements available for 3rd parties so what may not have been possible in 9.6 may just be possible in CORE. No word yet if a new Sasquatch will be made available for CORE but anythings possible. Again, too early to tell but it's already been confirmed that the developer of LWCAD is planning a CORE version.

3. I'm not sure about upgrading from an older version then 9. Check the CORE page for details: http://www.newtek.com/core

4. It's a little too early probably to talk about wow factor. CORE is in its infancy and I'm not sure anyone knows what the first release at the end of this year will be like. But the potential of CORE over older Lightwave is an open architecture, non-destructive workflows, integration, and a lot more customization.

IMI
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
3. I'm not sure about upgrading from an older version then 9. Check the CORE page for details: http://www.newtek.com/core

Apparently you can upgrade to CORE from ANY version of LW, for the same price.

Sensei
04-29-2009, 07:06 PM
1. From what we know, Core is going to be an intergrated package. No more Modeller and Layout, but one solid package. What does this mean for us? At the moment, we model and name surfaces in Modeller and then into Layout for texturing, Sasquatch, and animation. I have to admit, I like the idea of going for one intergrated package, the two program approach at the moment kind of drives me mad. But what will this mean? Will our old Object and Scene files work ok? Will there be changes in the workflow (of course, but what?)? Any insight appreciated.

This will mean that programmers will be able to make animatable modeling tools. You will slide time to f.e. 10 sec, use Move/Rotate/etc tool on object, then slide to 20 sec, use tool another time. And these changes will stay there, like you would have endomorphs, or keyframe for every vertex..

hrgiger
04-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Apparently you can upgrade to CORE from ANY version of LW, for the same price.

I thought so but I didn't want to say so definitively. I do know that you are able to skip CORE upgrades and not pay any additional amount when you do upgrade. You'll be getting the same price that someone that did not skip an upgrade will get. I wasn't sure about the initial buy in though.

Andrewstopheles
04-29-2009, 09:42 PM
What Sensei said. Exactly the reason I am so excited.
The biggest limitation for me in LW has been per vertex animation in layout is not directly possible. Morphs are freaking awesome, I love them, but cannot achieve what I want to achieve this way and per vertex animation is key to having ultimate control.
Jay Roth said somewhere that EVERYTHING can be animated with the way CORE works so I took this as the #1 sign that CORE is on the road to being a heavyweight in the 3D marketplace.
Can't give too much away here, but so far I've been satisfied with the progress and things are looking very promising.

Paul_Boland
04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I will definately stop by the Core page again and take a look. To me, Lightwave as it stands is a power house, hence the reason for my post.

4. Look at Houdini. Then, imagine you can afford it. That's the WOW! factor.

If Core can do Houdini's liquid simulations I'll be smiling from ear to ear! LOL!!