PDA

View Full Version : Vue 7.5 announced

GregMalick
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Press Announcement (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/press_materials/?page=..%2FPRIndex&date=April%2029,%202009)

Not suggesting this is a good thing - especially since the benefits aren't clear at all.

waverguy
05-02-2009, 08:04 AM
It also looks like they are pushing for everyone to purchase a maintenance plan. Has that always been the case?

GregMalick
05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
It also looks like they are pushing for everyone to purchase a maintenance plan. Has that always been the case?

Nope. Only recently.

JohnMarchant
05-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Well the stuff ive seen so far is quite good but ive heard its still very buggy and crash prone. For what they are charging for 7 i dont see that i will buy into 7.5 or their maintainance plan either.

GregMalick
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Looks like e-on is changing it plans.

e-on newletter (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/newsletter/)

Bottom line:

upgrade to 7.5 & 8 will be
$395 for Infinite
$595 for xStream

paul summers
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
No thanks

buggy and a rip-off v6 was the end of the line for me.
:thumbsup:

Sekhar
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
No thanks

buggy and a rip-off v6 was the end of the line for me.
:thumbsup:

But it's in Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean... :D They may be trying to pull a HardCORE on their customers, but with LW it's much easier to take that leap of faith; with Vue, it's a totally different story. Good luck, e-on.

waverguy
05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
If you need support you have a choice of pay-per-incident, standard maintenance, or premium maintenance options. Count me out.

marchermitte
05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I own Vue 7 Xstream. I use It with Lightwave and It's super buggy. Simple things like adding trees and plants (1 per 1) crash lightwave as soon as I save. The technical support has been unable to solve all the problems.
I bought the update because there was the ability to paint the ecosystam straight in lightwave layout. (very handy for architectural work!) I realized after installing the soft that this feature works only in C4D and 3Dmax.
There is a lot of potential in Vue xstream but frankly, and this only is my own personal opinion, It's not worth the money at this point. So having to pay for an upgrade that SHOULD just fix all (most of) the bugs, increase stability to make the soft workable and implements the missing features that were annonced in release 7.0, no thanks! Having to pay extra for a technical support!? Hello?
I would pay for an upgrade knowing that It makes my life easier but not to beta test and solve new problems each time I use It on a project.

Grrr! I'm really upset! Oh, god! I'm soooo upset!

3dworks
05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I own Vue 7 Xstream. I use It with Lightwave and It's super buggy. Simple things like adding trees and plants (1 per 1) crash lightwave as soon as I save. The technical support has been unable to solve all the problems.
I bought the update because there was the ability to paint the ecosystam straight in lightwave layout. (very handy for architectural work!) I realized after installing the soft that this feature works only in C4D and 3Dmax.
There is a lot of potential in Vue xstream but frankly, and this only is my own personal opinion, It's not worth the money at this point. So having to pay for an upgrade that SHOULD just fix all (most of) the bugs, increase stability to make the soft workable and implements the missing features that were annonced in release 7.0, no thanks! Having to pay extra for a technical support!? Hello?
I would pay for an upgrade knowing that It makes my life easier but not to beta test and solve new problems each time I use It on a project.

Grrr! I'm really upset! Oh, god! I'm soooo upset!

i have to agree point by point. add some extra mac problems to all this... i hope they will fix at least the worst bugs with the upcoming, free 7.4 version. no announcement for the ecosystem painting feature within LW yet, so i guess this for 8.x, if ever...

imho 495 USD as a regular update price for a 0.5 version with not that many features added is over the top, especially for a software which in certain conditions is not even poduction ready. probably, only if you are using it with max and vista 64 it's barely acceptable, so far.

markus

vpii
05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I am still using 6.5 and never upgraded to 7. One thing I am interested in in 7.5 is there camera mapping, If I understand correct it is to our frontend projection in Lightwave. It would allow you to render for example a 360 of a building in lightwave then load those images in Vue and camera map/frontend what you did in Lightwave. Just then setting up trees etc. You would have to make sure your camera never changes but may work nice. Just need to confirm from a 7.5 user this is what they call camera mapping in Vue.

shokan
06-13-2009, 07:19 PM
First time on this forum. You guys probably know about Terragen already, but just in case...
http://www.planetside.co.uk/

Terragen 2 is no longer a technology preview.

There's a LW format export, I believe.

clagman
06-22-2009, 02:38 PM
We took the plunge at 7.2 and got the maintenance. Since upgrading to 7.5 we have been able to use it in production and it's great! A few items:

The speed difference between Vue and xStream has almost reached parity. Consider these two images. Although there is a slight shading difference the quality is damn close, and maybe even the LW version is a bit sharper and has a bit more detail to the clouds. Both rendered 3.5 minutes. The images are strictly for testing.

You can now render cloud alpha which can come in handy.

Not sure about using the spherical environments yet. It does seem to add more realism in the way it handles cloud layers but I'm not sure how much use I'll get from the spherical terrains.

Still a bit of trouble getting lin-gamma flow to work but I managed to work it out with the use of the alpha channels and rendering the Vue environment in passes.

Stability is great so far.

The multipass settings work but you MUST turn off LW objects or you will get trash in the image. Also the PSD export sucks but thats ok since it's not floating point anyway.

One bug dealing with the Vue created camera is that it seems to lose keyframes when reloading the scenes... so we quit using the Vue camera and that fixed it. I suppose you could also parent the camara to a null and use the null for all camera motions to get the same.

A really big problem was the gamma correction node wouldn't work correctly on procedural based colors (when working with lin-gamma stuff) but that is fixed so it's on now!

You absolutely cannot use the default renderer settings for quality unless you take the ray recursion down to 5 or 6. Better off setting Vue quality for Vue objects. Oh and make sure to turn on Adaptive sampling on (Vue not LW). I've been able to get good results with only 256 samples per bucket (sometimes have to turn it up to 400).

Haven't tried camera mapping yet.

Still having a bit of trouble getting the clouds to completely block out the sun (for that silver lining effect). Always end up rendering the clouds seperate and working it in post. Not a bad fix though.

I dunno guys, I was a skeptic but it's really shaping up into a good application. Takes about a week or two experimenting but once dialed in it DOES work well.