PDA

View Full Version : Need Commands Explained

aharmona
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Is there somewhere that explains all the menu options (ex. Knife, Set Face, Dissolve, et al.) for each tab in Modeler?

Thanks!

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Sure!
The manual!
But it lists them based on the tool not necessarily how it is setup as a menu.

aharmona
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately, the manual only covers the generality of the tabs' menu, not the options themselves. I was hoping for explanations on how, say, Triple works versus Cut. That kind of thing.

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Good luck finding that.

Edit: based on that one example, the manual would make sense. In the manual it will tell you that triple makes one four point poly into two triangle polys using the same four points; Cut splits geometry in half, should you choose to do so.
Based on what you say you want, the manual will suffice with a bit of creative thinking on your part.

aharmona
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm looking at the v8 manual pg 99 (Multiply Tab, Subdivision Category) and there is nothing explaining any of the options aside from Knife the tool. So again, the manual only deals with generality and not the specifics of the options in the categories, but thanks for helping!

JeffrySG
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
William's videos review many of the tools as well. Think of them like a video manual.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Giacomo99
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
In all fairness, it's pretty tough to get the functionality of the tools across in the context of the manual. Even in software with better documentation, a tremendous amount of text often doesn't suffice to explain exactly what the tool does. (That's not to let NewTek off the hook for its fairly awful LW documentation. It could be a lot better.)

Is there a specific tool or tab you're curious about? If you ask, there are a lot of knowledgeable users on this forum who can help you out.

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
In reading this again, I have to say: here's a new answer to the question.

Press'em and see what they do. The manual was suggested on the first go-round because of the generality of the question. The question is still vague but it's from a user-perspective I can understand. So, do like so many kids with new toys do: press all the buttons and see what they do. Ain't gonna hurt no one...
Go to a half-price book store and get a Dan Ablan book of yore. It does a lot of this in steps in a project. Works for understanding the different tools.
Tutes on the web: read and do all you can. Find the spoons tute firstly cuz it's simplicity and elegance is top-notch as a learning tool.