PDA

View Full Version : Image projection

circleofsmoke
04-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi
Does anyone know anything about image projection techniques?

I watched a making of feature on the new red dwarf episodes and it briefly mentioned a technique called image projection to get a sudo 3d camera move from a simple 2d image - they used a shot from the london eye and comped in a matched camera move with 3d rendered building - I know you can get this type of thing in photoshop to afterfx via the perspective camera but is it possible with lightwave?

Couldnt tell which app it was from the screens shown in the program.

John

dwburman
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
yup it's possible.

On your object's surface use an image map and set the projection to "Front" and select the image you want to use. This is like having a video projector strapped on your camera lens. If you want to move around the image like you're talking about you'll probably want to set up a second camera to render from, but the Fixed Projection check box may let you do it with one camera.

When setting up the projection, it may be helpful to load your image into the background. Open the compositing options panel (Windows>Compositing Options Ctrl-F7) and set the background image to the image you're using on the surface. Then go to the Display Preferences (d) and set the "Camera View Background" to "Background Image".

OnlineRender
05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I use lights ! if that helps