PDA

View Full Version : Mac Issue...

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Ok, so this isnt a LW specific thing...but apple support kinda sucks...
Having a couple of problems with my MacPro...

1. the boot drive doesnt remember the folder settings and always opens in icon view instead of list (which I prefer)..while not important, it's annoying..
2. For some reason it decided to lock the other drives in my system and changed my access to 'custom'..I've tried changing it, but it wont take it.
(I'm currently trying a copy/paste of the drives to see if I can grab the stuff off them..gonna take a while).

I've wiped the system and reinstalled 10.5.4...Anyone have any ideas?

sublimationman
04-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Sounds like possibly an Admin permissions problem, are you logged in as an "Admin"?

if you are I would run disk utilities and run a fix permissions.

If not you need to login as an Admin to fix these problems.

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
yes..im logged in as admin..and yes, I've already tried disk utilities, yada, yada....

sublimationman
04-29-2009, 02:26 AM
You might have better luck searching the forum over at Macfixit.com

rsfd
04-29-2009, 03:34 AM
for 1.
remember this by myself (seems it's gone with 10.5.5 / 10.5.6).
You could delete (or drag out of this folder) your user finder preferences (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist) and see if the new prefs remember the settings.
for 2.
generally you should try to re-change your user account setting from the admin account. If that doesn't work you always have the possibiliy to change it from the root account (carefully!).
I also remember problems with partitions and additional (internal) drives, I worked around by setting my swap drives to "ignore permissions on that drive" (on drive info cmd-i, sorry, don't know the exact english term, I'm on a foreign system) and created a group with my admin and user account and set the permissions for my additional drives to that group with "read and write".
OSX remembers permissions while copying data from one drive to another, if the data origins from another user account (say "A"), you will have problems to work with them on account "B".
(BatchMod http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12057 often worked better for me when changing permissions than Apple Finder).

meshpig
04-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Ok, so this isnt a LW specific thing...but apple support kinda sucks...
Having a couple of problems with my MacPro...

1. the boot drive doesnt remember the folder settings and always opens in icon view instead of list (which I prefer)..while not important, it's annoying..
2. For some reason it decided to lock the other drives in my system and changed my access to 'custom'..I've tried changing it, but it wont take it.
(I'm currently trying a copy/paste of the drives to see if I can grab the stuff off them..gonna take a while).

I've wiped the system and reinstalled 10.5.4...Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried Disk Warrior?

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

It boots from the DVD with it's own copy of OSX so you can repair from there.

Could be that the drive has packed it in? The Apple Hardware Test is on the second install disc. The not remembering folder settings is pretty common, at least DW usually sorts that out though I'm not familiar with MP.

Scazzino
04-29-2009, 07:13 AM
The "custom" permissions are called ACL's, access control lists. If you've recursively applied an ACL to everything it can be tricky to remove.

Here's a Google search with links that may help.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%2B%22Mac+OS+X%22+%2B%22remove+ACL%22&btnG=Search

:goodluck:

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I reinstalled OSX..
managed to copy/paste the other drives as folders on the main drive and repartition them to remove the locks...

Now I just need to get the main drive to remember folder settings..

rsfd, I'll try moving the finder list thing you mention and see if that works..thanx.

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I do not seem to have a file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Kuzey
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I do not seem to have a file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

You need to change a setting first before the plist file is written to disk. So under the finder menu, select Preferences and change a setting there :D

Kuzey

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah, yeah...Finder prefs are always the one of the first things I change, to have folders open in their own window and kill spring loaded windows.

Just did it again..and it still didnt create the file

Kuzey
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
That's strange...does the settings sick after you changed the preferences?

If it does remember your changes...try logging out and back in again for the file to show up...maybe it's just a refresh issue with Mac OS X.

Kuzey

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
The settings will sometimes stick...until I shutdown or restart..then it reverts back to the default icon view....It's only the 1 drive (boot drive) that wont hold the settings...the others do.

lwanmtr
04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Finally found the finder.plist....in users/me/library/preferences... Deleted it, changed settings, etc....and still doesnt hold the folder view of that one drive..all the folders on the drive show correctly...just not the root of the drive..

Kuzey
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I did a search and found this:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/finder.html

Try deleting the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file to see if that helps.

Kuzey

lwanmtr
04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanx..I'll give that a shot.

lwanmtr
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
No change....

I can open the drive, change the view to list, open view options and choose 'Always open in list view' and it will continue to open in that view, until I logout, restart or shutdown...then it reverts back to Icon view, and the view options have the 'Always open in Icon view' selected...

I've deleted the finder.plist...changed the views while the file was open..loaded into plist editor (dunno what to change in that..hehe)...the finder.plist saves..it just isnt saving the correct view for that one drive..

lwanmtr
04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I ran verify permissions and there was one message that keeps coming up

ACL Found but not expected on ".".

It even appeared after I ran the repair permissions

rsfd
05-01-2009, 05:53 AM
have you tried to manually open, change and resave the finder.plist?
(As it's an xml file, every text editor can open the file).
ATM I'm on 10.4.11, but I would expect no changes in Leopard, so the first key should be <key>AlwaysOpenWindowsInColumnView</key>.

And (for a try) de-select the "open folders in new window" option, to see if the Finder then remembers the "ColumnView" option.

The error message sounds as if there is an orphaned ACL-file (could be a result of the copy/paste action) or a needed ACL is moved to another (non-standard) location. I recommend an online search at apple, maybe you can find a way to locate and remove this.

meshpig
05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
lwanmtr

- "com.apple.finder.plist"... ah, sorry I see. A bit scary because I've had 2 HD's die and in their death throws all sorts of weird stuff happens in the ~lib/pref.plist department.

lwanmtr
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
have you tried to manually open, change and resave the finder.plist?
(As it's an xml file, every text editor can open the file).
ATM I'm on 10.4.11, but I would expect no changes in Leopard, so the first key should be <key>AlwaysOpenWindowsInColumnView</key>.

And (for a try) de-select the "open folders in new window" option, to see if the Finder then remembers the "ColumnView" option.

The error message sounds as if there is an orphaned ACL-file (could be a result of the copy/paste action) or a needed ACL is moved to another (non-standard) location. I recommend an online search at apple, maybe you can find a way to locate and remove this.

I have opened the finder.plist and have tried to find any references to the folder options..unfortunately, it is an undecypherable mess. (I've included a grab)...

I dont think the drive is going out, as I've completely wiped it and reloaded OSX..still having the same issue with the one drive.

rsfd
05-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Hi lwanmtr,

if you like, you can download BareBones TextWrangler (it's freeware - it's a slim version of BBEdit), I'm quite sure it can open the .plist file correctly (again, I'm on 10.4.11 atm, but I have included a screengrab of what you should see).
And unfortunately I'm not sure if it will help, it's just a try.

In the meantime, had you tried to de-select the "always open folders in new windows" Finder option? I remember having experienced a reference between that option and the "list view" option. Finder remembered the "list view" when "always new..." was off.

(Me too, don't think there is an issue with the HD, think the copy/paste action troubled the user permissions - imo, both issues are independant).

[edit: macfixit could have a terminal solution: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090211232539702&query=finder+options for the list view option, did not read it, did just a quick search]

lwanmtr
05-02-2009, 05:25 AM
I'll check out bbedit and see what it looks like

I've tried disabling the 'always open as...' same thing.

I was having the folder issue before the copy/paste thing...I only did that because it was the only way to retrieve the data on the other drives, as they became locked out.

I've been to macfixit.com..and unfortunately, you have to pay to view the articles.

rsfd
05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry, it seems, I've led you into a wrong direction:
I'm now on 10.5.6 and had to realize, that the Finder preferences are noticeably changed compared to 10.4.x: the "list view" or "column view" options are set on a Finder window top bar, I've had a look into the finder.plist file and I could not find an entry that seems to be related to these options, so Leopard seems to store that information elsewhere (probably in a .DS_Store or another invisible file).
(there is a tool called ".DS_Store Cleaner" [>versiontracker], but I cannot say if that will help you).
btw. any reason not to update to 10.5.5 or 10.5.6?
Maybe this could solve the Finder issue - 10.5.6 on my MacPro remembers View options as it should be.

and imo the copy/paste action resulted in this:

I ran verify permissions and there was one message that keeps coming up

ACL Found but not expected on ".".

It even appeared after I ran the repair permissions

both issues (view option and permission error message) are independant

lwanmtr
05-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Like I said, the problem still persists, even after I wiped the drive on a pc and reinstalled it in the macpro..I'm not sure what happened, I didnt do anything that should cause it to not want to remember the folder settings...and every folder on the drive opens as it should..it's just the root (when you open it from finder)..and it remembers the settings until logging out...

I tried that Textwrangler, and while it opened the plist fine, it would not save..but I guess it's moot anyway..hehe.

Where is that ds_store cleaner?

So far, I have not had much problems with 10.5.6... LW might have some issues..but I havent done the update process on here yet to get back to that point. But I've not had any problems at all on my Macbook Pro and 10.5.6 and LW.

rsfd
05-02-2009, 05:00 PM
.DS_Store cleaner can be found at versiontracker http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/35919 or at the developers site http://projects.ryangrier.com/

thought you were constantly on 10.5.4, so I suggested updating as it might resolve the finder view issue, but it seems it's a very "individual" issue.

lwanmtr
05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I tried that dsstore cleaner and it just went beachball..of course, the page says its for up to 10.3, so I kinda figured it wouldnt work...
To recap, here is what I've done to try and get the folder settings to stay put....

reformatted (quick as well as zeroing all data)
repartitioned to try and clear whatever weirdness might be in the table..
repartitioned and formatted on a pc
deleted finder.plist
edited finder.plist
verified using disktools, fixed permissions, etc...
removed other drives to see if there was a conflict..
looked at macfixit.com (I'm not gonna pay $30 just to look at a forum)
scoured the support files on apple.com (yeah, that was real helpful)
I've even looked through every folder on the drive that I can find to try and find any reference to folder settings (though there may be some hidden folders I dont know about)

the only other option I can think of is to try and install osx on one of the drives that is holding its folder info and see if that gets wiped out or if it retains it correctly...unless someone else has some other trick they can think of..

lwanmtr
05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Ok, so did an install of OSX on another drive..and guess what..same thing occured on that drive also..reverts to icon view on logout no matter what view i set it to....I erased the new install and the drive opens in the correct view..

rsfd
05-04-2009, 06:41 AM
[.DS_Store cleaner is very slow, and using it on the topmost level would force it to delete the .DS_Store files of any folder and subfolder, taking even more time.]

verifying/repairing permissions will not help, as the Folder View settings are user preferences.
As I understand it's only the Startup-Drive window that shows this behaviour and all other windows (of other folders of that drive) are in list view, I wouldn't bother about that too much.
If you set the view options by clicking on the window icon bar, you could also try to use the shortcuts cmd-2 or cmd-3, maybe this can persuade Leopard to hold the setting.

Kuzey
05-04-2009, 07:19 AM
You can do it manually via the terminal :

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-.Ds_Store-Files-on-Mac-Os-X

or

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/168/tn_16831.html

Kuzey

lwanmtr
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Hmm...I tried using terminal to delete the ds store but it fails saying permission denied

Kuzey
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
You need to log in as an administrator or set up an administrator/root password and use that in the terminal command.

So for the example you copy and paste the following line into the terminal:

"sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;"

And you should see a line something like:

"Password:"

Type your administrator password (you won't see the text as you type) and then click return or enter.

Hope that helps,

Kuzey

lwanmtr
05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I am logged in as admin..type my password and all..but it still says permission denied

avkills
05-06-2009, 02:27 AM
You really should not mess with any settings to the root drive in OS X; mainly because only the superuser has access to change stuff.

This is why when you log out and back in, the root drive reverts back to icon view -- you do not have permission to change it even if you are Admin.

You should be able to effectively change where you would be most, which is your home directory and other drives -- which you can also setup to ignore permissions.

-mark

lwanmtr
05-06-2009, 03:38 AM
I do spend time on the root of my hard drive..and this is something that has only been a recent problem..i was able to save the folder settings before.

So, the problem still remains...i need to figure out how to get it to save the view again.

It's my computer, i should be able to..lol

rsfd
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
@mark

sorry, please don't get me wrong, but that is wrong.
Each and every user can set his/her individual Finder view options, valid for all Finder windows. Only an administrated user account can be locked out of some privileges.
A standard (and of course an admin) user is free to look into every system folder on the startup drive and set his/her desired view options.
OSX holds these individual settings for each user account, no matter if you log out, switch user and back, restart, force restart or even pull the power cord: if you come back to your account, your individual view options are still active.

@lwanmtr

the terminal instructions seem to be pre-Leopard, so it's possible that Apple changed some commands in the meantime.
The sudo command should work with your admin password (even if you are logged in as standard user - sudo gives you temporally root privileges with your admin password).
[Of course you could activate and use the root user, but I don't recommend this as long as you are not completely "terminal proof." I am not ;-)]

Are you definitely sure not to have an "override" active for the Startup-drive Finder window? (you know that every single Finder/folder window can be set to an individual view option, overriding the global setting on the icon bar)

lwanmtr
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I am pretty sure there is no override turned on...if there is, I couldnt tell you where..
I've been everywhere I can think of and cant find any setting that would do that.

rsfd
05-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Quite sure, that you know, but to the completion:
As the global view settings are choosen via the icons on the icon bar of a Finder window (icon, list, column or cover flow) or by hotkeys cmd-1 to cmd-4, each individual window can have an "override":
by opening that window and then choosing "view options" (cmd-j) and activating the "always open in ... view", this window is locked to that view, even if you globally change to another setting.
Thus you can e.g. have an image folder that always opens in icon view while globally the view options are set to list or column.
If the Startup-drive window opens in "icon" view even if you have set Finder windows to "list", that window could be set to "always open in icon view" in view options.

lwanmtr
05-09-2009, 01:41 PM
As I stated in earlier posts, I have changed the view options, even deselected the 'always open in icon view'..tried selecting 'always open in list view'...nothing...it always opens in icon view..and the 'always open in icon view' is selected again...

It is simply not saving any of the window information..size, position, type...it's always the default. Which is making no sense.

rsfd
05-10-2009, 06:35 AM
yip, expected that answer.
Well, all I can say is that the view options are stored in the hidden .DS_Store files.
It seems as if the concerned file is corrupted or locked.
Don' think that running maintainance scripts or deleting PRAM would help in that case. You got this behaviour even after a fresh install with reformatted drives, which makes it even more strange. So it becomes hard to consider further solutions.

lwanmtr
05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah...lol. The funny thing is that if I install OSX on another drive, the same thing happens there..and thinking about it, it started after I installed a 3rd hard drive...so, it could be a pram issue.
How do I delete the pram on Mac Pro?...older macs had a button inside..but I havent found anything in the docs about it for this machine.

NVM..found out how..and still nothing

Meshbuilder
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Restart, press and hold:

cmd+alt+r+p

lwanmtr
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I did that..

my next course will be to install osx on another drive (again) and see if I can then access the DS_Store on my main drive...