PDA

View Full Version : Video format advice needed

sublimationman
04-29-2009, 12:23 AM
So, the stock photo web site I have been selling on for over 3 years now sells videos. Not dealing with video format lingo since the mid 80's not sure what is what.

Anyway on their requirements for video submission it says:

To sell video files, your files need to adhere to the following criteria:

*Video files must be in asf, avi, flv, h264, mov, mpeg, mpegts or mpegvideo formats
*The codec must be : flv, dvvideo, h264, mjpeg, mpeg1video, mpeg2video, mpeg4, rpza, svq1, vp6f, wmv2 or wmv3
*The compression level should correspond to the best image quality possible

What settings should I use in Lightwave to make my videos ready compatible with these requirements. I.E. seeing this what settings would 'you' use?

Thanks!

JeffrySG
04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
You should render to sequenced frames out of LW. (such as TGA or PNG) Then you can use QT Pro to compress the frames to any format and quality that QT will let you. This will let you try different settings and CODECs. Personally I'd just go with H.264 out of QT pro.

Otterman
04-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Gotta agree with Jeffry on that...H.264 is awesome. Quality/file size is second to none. From my experience though-i believe only people with QT 7 will be able to play them back, earlier versions do not suport this codec

Scazzino
04-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Agreed!

I render to frames, usually TGA (so Photoshop doesn't bash the alpha into the layer transparency if I need to open them in Photoshop) and then use QuickTime Pro to "Open Image Sequence". I then compress to Apple's h264 at a Medium-High compression setting. Gives great looking results and relatively small file sizes. For scenes that need compositing I render to EXR frames and then comp in Apple's Shake.

:thumbsup:

Otterman
04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

Its a snap at only $29

sublimationman
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Already have QT pro, did not even know I could bring frames into it to make a movie.

As for them playing it back I assume they have a way of converting it to any of the other formats on the fly.

Glendalough
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, save everything to tga, but don't know if we should get too complacent about QT.

It seems that some people have a bad time with it on Windows and some are saying that the latest forms of WMV are equivalent to H264 in quality AND size. VLC plays H264 every bit as well as QT on the Mac but not sure how it performs on Windows(?)

The past 2 years or so it seems that H264 was the way to go but recently all these WMVs have started cropping up as a preferred codec in many places (?) rather annoying, hope Apple isn't going to drop the ball!

sublimationman
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Just wanted to say I used QT pro and it worked perfectly.

Thanks!