PDA

View Full Version : Domain Renewal Scam

Ideas Unlimited
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I have my Domain Name registered with a company called 1&1 and received a letter today from a company called ‘Domain Renewal Group’. Basically it states that my domain name is due for renewal and I should renew it before May otherwise I could lose it (basic stuff when due for a renewal) and as you can see from the attached scan, it looks very authentic. I called 1&1 and they said that my domain name isn’t due for renewal until August and that it was a scam because when you read the small print (which is on the back) you are basically transferring your registry to them.
I just thought that I would post this in case anybody else gets one and possibly gets caught out ... Thanks

AdamAvenali
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
i have received these a couple times from a couple different places. that small print will get you every time if you dont hunt it down haha.

even worse than these are the weekly postcards i get saying that my car's warranty is about to expire and i should extend it with a third party.

Hopper
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Yup.. they do it here too. I got one of these scam calls on my phone about 20 minutes after someone else called and tried to sell me an extended warranty on my car.

Told the car warranty guy - Car was totalled a month ago, but thanks buh bye.

Told the domain registration guy - Oh, I don't own that domain anymore Microsoft does. - they hung up.

cresshead
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I have my Domain Name registered with a company called 1&1 and received a letter today from a company called ‘Domain Renewal Group’. Basically it states that my domain name is due for renewal and I should renew it before May otherwise I could lose it (basic stuff when due for a renewal) and as you can see from the attached scan, it looks very authentic. I called 1&1 and they said that my domain name isn’t due for renewal until August and that it was a scam because when you read the small print (which is on the back) you are basically transferring your registry to them.
I just thought that I would post this in case anybody else gets one and possibly gets caught out ... Thanks

nice one!:thumbsup:

i got one of those last week...seemed really expensive and i had one of my sites registered at the internet company i worked at 'heart internet' which are a hosting company which can renew anytime and ALOT cheaper than this letter proposed...they seemed to have pulled the contact details from your registed site then sent out a letter to people...def a scam.

cresshead
04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
here's the scammers>>

http://www.domainrenewalgroup.com/images/logo-blue_4.jpg

http://www.domainrenewalgroup.com/

and the sheer amount of small print on the reverse of the form should start to ring alarm bells!

OnlineRender
04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
ye got one of yesterday , but it has my one account domain details , im pretty sure the account isnt even a year old ....

Ideas Unlimited
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
ye got one of yesterday , but it has my one account domain details , im pretty sure the account isnt even a year old ....

Looks like they maybe hitting the UK at the moment. My sites under a year old as well

Matt
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I also get one of these every year from these guys. Goes straight in the bin, I know who my domain is with thank you very much! (1&1 here too).

Edit: Have just emailed BBC Watchdog about these scammers, let's see if they can cut them down to size! :D

Surrealist.
04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
I have always gotten those kind of things in the mail. It's questionable marketing tactic but I wouldn't say scam although it is on the boarder for sure. But then again, I would not do business with them based on this approach. And as for the price, I just canceled my Yahoo names because they tried to pull a price increase of 300%. I suppose they figured I'd just sit and take it, but I transferred them all to go daddy for cheaper than I was paying initially. Not sure what they are thinking there. Way too much competition to be trying stuff like that especially now. That to me was more scamish, since I was a long time customer. What on earth was the thinking there? Up to that point, I was happy to stay. Their loss. I'll never register a name there again.

Matt
04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah I don't think it's technically illegal, especially if they mention you are transferring your domain in the small print, but the letters are definitely made out to make you think you're renewing your domain, but are actually transferring.

Without a doubt a questionable practice, especially if your domain isn't even up for renewal, I had one once despite having 6 months left on my domain!

rkphelps
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for confirming what I suspected.
I received one of these about 2 weeks ago and it just smelled funny to me and I through it away.

cresshead
04-28-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah mines up in september...and i KNOW my update would be from heart internet not these clowns!

Matt
04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I can imagine some people falling for this, I remember when I first registered a domain with Easily.net a week or two later I received a certificate confirming my domain name from Nominet UK, which back then kinda threw me because I didn't see anything about Easily.net on it.

Do they still send out these certificates? I don't remember getting one when I registered with 1&1.

But someone unsuspecting soul might see one of these and think it's from the registrar and fill it in.

Surrealist.
04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Also some of these domain parking services contract out to other companies. Yahoo uses a company down under if I am not mistaken.

inquisitive
04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
you know.. by posting the URL you are actually helping them.. If I were you I would remove the URL.

cresshead
04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
you know.. by posting the URL you are actually helping them.. If I were you I would remove the URL.

i don't agree with that view
if people are blind enough not to READ "SCAMMERS" above the link then more fool them!

inquisitive
04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
by posting their URL you have given the scammers a link - that is the issue, you have help them rank better.

In the past 10 years there have been all kinds of companies doing that scam.

cresshead
04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
by posting their URL you have given the scammers a link - that is the issue, you have help them rank better.

In the past 10 years there have been all kinds of companies doing that scam.

wow...news at eleven :D
"cloudy with a chance of meatballs"