PDA

View Full Version : UV Lines

dandeentremont
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
You know how there can be 2 points in a UV map that represent the same vertex? I think it would be neat if there was a display option that showed lines connecting shared vertices. Here's an artist's conception of what it may look like:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/papalive/UV_dream.jpg

This way, it would be a lot easier to stitch points in a uv map without having to select 2 points to make sure they are really the same vertex.

The biggest issue i can see with this is the fact that there are likely to be lines running from the left side of the map all the way to the right due to cylindrical mapping. Maybe some kind of distance falloff?

evenflcw
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Hmm...

What is this feature supposed to accomplish? Make it easier to identify which discontinuous points are instances of the same 3d point so you can align/flip disjoint parts to match? Sure that could work, and make it less necessary to look at the 3d textured shaded rendering, to align uv-islands.

But you definitely wouldn't want to have these lines on all the time as depending on your uv layout they might be criss-crossing allover the place. For a cylindrical map, atleast the lines will run horizontally. But if you have many uv-island far away from eachother it will look quite messy.

Except for an on/off switch, perhaps also an automatic mode, where these lines would appear only when you selected the points (or polygons/edges they are connected to). This way they would require no extra step but still appear when they are potentially needed.

Add to that uv borders drawn twice as thick (A border being any edge that is connected only 1 polygon.) and discontinuous points drawn in red in all instances, not all but first (as is the case in Modeler now).

dandeentremont
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Whenever i have to uv a complicated model, I usually map several smaller parts and stitch them together in the uv view (after some cleanup.) I think i was inspired to request this after my 657th or so stitch today :) I usually have to select 2 points and see if they represent the same vertex before i am confident to snap-drag them together.
Anyways, an instant display of what goes where would be pretty neat for me if it weren't for the fact that there would be lines running everywhere on a uv island :) It's been a while since I've used maya, but i think there's some tool that welds the correct points to each other.

evenflcw
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
It's been a while since I've used maya, but i think there's some tool that welds the correct points to each other.

LW has that aswell... called Heal UV. Although I had some trouble with getting it to work in some cases. Discontinuous UVs I guess are still abit buggy and was never really supported by many of the older Modeler uv functions, because they are finicky to create and work with.

Castius
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM
3d UV maps would solve this problem better. Then there is not any translation from 3d to 2d. You can just work in a 3d viewport as you do when you modeling. But i wouldn't have any objections to some view option that showed faces/edges from selected vertexes. Dotted lines to discontinuous points. It would be nice to have that feedback.

(3D UVs are basically endomorphs that allows discontinuous points)

hrgiger
04-29-2009, 04:27 AM
In other programs that I've used, often times shared edges can be highlighted so that if you want to connect UV islands, it's easy to see where they will join. XSI does this as well as my favorite UV plug in UVlayout.

dandeentremont
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
In other programs that I've used, often times shared edges can be highlighted so that if you want to connect UV islands, it's easy to see where they will join.

that's an even better idea :)

zardoz
05-01-2009, 08:40 AM
actually I think that the lines are a very good idea