PDA

View Full Version : How to generate a twinkle ?

04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Think crystal chandelier, or shimmer curtain, or sequin covered surface.
I can only go so far making twinkly crystals and using HD instance to cover a surface with hundreds & hundreds of them, what the client wants is a 'lens flare with streaks' type sparkle randomly over the surface - but randomising lens flare from that many lights and distributing them over the surface ?
I don't think there's anything I can do with surfacer glow etc because the required effect is a lens artifact many times bigger than the poly or whatever causing it.
Any suggestions?
(best we've come up with is painting on individual frames by hand !)

Otterman
04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Starbursts in lightwave dont cut it...i always use after effects for that..looks much better and you've got greater control over em.

Where you're problem is gonna be is having loads of em. Rendering out some reference points and keyframing them and building them up that way would do the trick.

Either way-do it in post with a seperate render pass!

prometheus
04-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Im not quite sure how you wan´t the effect to be, do you have a reference image somewhere on the net?

My first thoughts is to use particles on surface and use hv sprites.
You might wan´t to paint or create streak flares in photoshop and use them as sprite clips in the hv sprites, make the particles birth and die randomly.

you could also check out some of dponts procedurals it has some cool shapes
to use like image bomber.
together with the dpont´s node volume and dp kit you could get acess to this inside of hypervoxels.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Textures.htm

or some commercial plugins like jetstream
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/products/jstrm/featurs/starFilter.htm

otherwise some postprocessing program after effects, particle illusion etc...particle illusion has a wide library of these kind of effects.

Michael

JeffrySG
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
I just wait until a pretty girl walks in front of me. Then there's a twinkle in my eye automatically.

04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
HV sprites from the surface might do it - thanks Promethius,
No after-effects I'm afraid - just speededit, & I'm usually stuffed for adding in post 'cause I'm continually being asked to re-render bits from different angles etc, & life just aint long enough!

04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Sprite clips are looking very promising - but now I need to vary the particle birthrate.
As far as I can tell , I need to vary the birthrate in proportion to the rate of change of incident angle to the camera of 'position' of the twinkly object - but that object is on an animated mechanism.
Now I can parent a null to the object and point that null at the camera - but an expression to use the rate of change of the object's driven H & P to drive the birthrate - well beyond my math!

sandman300
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Maby something like a high birthrate, short life, and a incidence gradient on the opacity?

toby
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I once used Corona set to use an image of a lens flare instead of just blooming it, tricky but worked out ok.