PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing in 9.6 compared to Modo

stealthworks
04-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Hi
I'm very new to Lightwave - just bought the Companion upgrade due to the hardcore offer. Since the core product seems a LONG way off I thought I would learn LW 9.6.
I tried importing a figure from Daz Studio both into Lightwave and Modo and the results are shown below.The one on the left is the Lightwave render and the one on the right is the Modo render If you click on the images and look closely you can see that in the lightwave version you can see the actual polygons
Question is, is there a setting in Lightwave that will render the mesh smoother (as in the Modo version). Both applications loaded the exact same mesh so it must be something to do with the settings
Thanks in advance for any help

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Find the 'smoothing' button on the suface panel.

stealthworks
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks Robert,
Knew there had to be a simple way to do this
Thanks
Mat

colkai
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Also, don't always take the default value, 89.5 - altering this can give better results in many cases. Sounds obvious, but it wasn't to me at first. ;)

JeffrySG
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Also, don't always take the default value, 89.5 - altering this can give better results in many cases. Sounds obvious, but it wasn't to me at first. ;)

Yes. I hate that the default is 89.5. I almost never have it above 60, but for many mechanical objects I might have it much lower - in the 12.5 - 30 range. It's good to turn on smooth shaded and adjust the value until it looks good on screen and then do some test renders to check for smoothing errors.

colkai
04-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Yes. I hate that the default is 89.5. I almost never have it above 60, but for many mechanical objects I might have it much lower - in the 12.5 - 30 range.

Yeppers, I'm exactly the same, 'bout the only time I use the default is for a sphere of some description. Otherwise, yup, 89.5 is evil and must die. :p