PDA

View Full Version : My Rigging Reel

geothefaust
04-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Hey all,

This is my first go for a rigging reel. I know there is a bit more to achieve and need to finish up an animation to put in there. But I do think it's at least good enough to show...

But before that, I'd like to thank a couple of people for their immensely awesome help for answering questions and taking a look at my rigs. In particular, Castius has been a tremendous help to me. So without him, I'd probably still be squandering my time learning the black art that is rigging in LW. RebelHill supplied me with some sample rigs quite some time ago for me to tear apart, which were very helpful. I also borrow some naming conventions from him, as they make sense to me. Carm was nice enough to answer my questions when I had them.

Anyway... Sorry for that. Hope you dig the rig reel. Enjoy.

Here's a link for the better quality version on Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/4329698

Here's the YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-M55-pTKOA

Here is the link to the download page(if you want to download it) on my site:
http://javisjones.com/?page_id=296

Larry_g1s
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Really solid riggging reel Javis! Congratulations. I'm not real knowledgeable on rigging, but studying character animation, I'm familiar enough on how it should work for animating & the rig looks like you nailed many of the fundamental aspects of a bi-ped rig but with a touch of some more advanced stuff (like the constraints). Great job & good luck. I'll be looking forward to watching the progress.

geothefaust
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Larry, much obliged. :)

I'm working on a facial rig too, for this character. Unknown territory for me there. But I like challenges.

RebelHill
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Very nice... very clean, etc... though I myself would make it faster/clearer (meaning zoomed in at parts) adn Id push the character around more, rather than just the lil moves... But some very nice stuff on show.

should have my new rig n animate reel up in a few days/week ish... hope hope.

Also... I always think its good to have some animation on a rig reel... just to show it actually in action... and even if ur own CA skills aint up to it... theres no shortage of riggers in a similar position, and no shortage of rig reels with "animation by"... bits... jsut to let it be shown off like that.

Larry_g1s
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Very nice... very clean, etc... though I myself would make it faster/clearer (meaning zoomed in at parts) adn Id push the character around more, rather than just the lil moves... But some very nice stuff on show.

should have my new rig n animate reel up in a few days/week ish... hope hope.faster would have been my only real critic too. Nice to see the community working together with your help RebelHill to Javis, and make sure you post a thread showing off your reel too.

adamredwoods
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
It's a great start.

I would recommend editing to keep the demo tight. Speed up your camera positioning.

Also, I think you may want to show a few things on your rig, more along the lines of pushing its limits of breaking.... like touch opposite shoulder, touching toes, doing backflip, falling, etc. Just a suggestion.

geothefaust
04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the crits all. I'm certainly going to use a lot of these suggestions for the next version.

RH, looking forward to seeing your new reel!

RebelHill
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
RH, looking forward to seeing your new reel!

Dude, im looking forward to posting it :D

j0SH
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Good looking rig. Lots of flexibility.

OnlineRender
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
looks wicked ,wish i could rig that complicated :) , as said before cut the video down to even 1 minute and it will still look great, then a small character example of walk-cycle just to show it in action ......

amazing work .

geothefaust
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the compliments and crits. :)

lino.grandi
04-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Very nice rig!

caccipergolo
04-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Really a good reel,
Cool Stuff!!!!

sampei
04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
that's one solid reel, great rigging skills
keep up the good work ;)

Victor Velasco
04-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Awesome! I wish I could do that!

Did you use any plug-in, or is it all plain LW?

geothefaust
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks all... :)

Victor, that is plain ol' vanilla LW there. No plugins at all!

Victor Velasco
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Well, in that case I must say... I'm officially impressed! :eek:

geothefaust
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks. :)

If anyone has any questions about how to set stuff up, I'm more then happy to help out. Or if you want example files on how to set up some stuff that I have in my rig, I can do that too. In the process of rigging this character, I learned 3 different ways to do a space switching solution. one of them is of course HORRIBLE, the other two are good, while one of them is much better (it's the way that RH does it). But that one requires motion modifiers instead of same as item.

Anyway, if anyone needs help learning to rig, I'm all about spreading the love. ;)

Victor Velasco
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Anyway, if anyone needs help learning to rig, I'm all about spreading the love. ;)

Isn't "spreading the love" what Tom is doing to Oprah in that avatar of yours? :D

Very kind of you, thank you. My experience in rigging is next to zero, but it's something that I'd definetely like to learn. Now at least I know it can be done in LW!

04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Solid rigging here! Great stuff man! :thumbsup:

geothefaust
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks [email protected]! :)

Victor, he is definitely doing something odd... Lol. :D

There is a lot of stuff LW can do, especially now in 9.6 with Same as Item (pretty much what my rig here is based on to achieve the limb pinning and other such things). It's gotten a bad rap over the years, for what it can't do (which there is plenty of), but instead of worrying about what I can't do, I like to focus on what I have in the here and now, and IMHO, there is quite a lot. :thumbsup:

waly
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Congratulations, very impressive rig there, I would be more than happy if you do some tutorial to show us how to setup such a rig.

geothefaust
04-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks, glad you liked it. :)

I'm not sure about recording a tutorial though... It would span hours worth of information. Something like that would be of a large magnitude.

RebelHill
04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Interesting that you went the whole vanilla LW route with this rig I gotta say... would be good to see you post the rig to be ripped apart so we can see how you went about accomplishing certain features with the different toolset.

MCHammond
04-30-2009, 04:33 AM
Caught this on Vimeo looks ace!
You've inspired me to try and give rigging and animation in Lightwave another go!

I use Lightwave at work, but for character animation and rigging I use blender and import a .mdd . Only because I find it hard to animate in Lightwave, I have done a rig in Lightwave but it wasn't very good :( . You have convinced me that it is possible to produce a good rig in Lightwave so i might give it another go, maybe I will do a Lightwave version of my BlenderGirl character, she can be her cousin or something LOL.

BlenderGirl (vimeo.com/3804230)

your Reel is ace I like it although its a bit slow at times! and as its been said already a little animation at the end or beginning to give it a bit of polish!

geothefaust
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Interesting that you went the whole vanilla LW route with this rig I gotta say... would be good to see you post the rig to be ripped apart so we can see how you went about accomplishing certain features with the different toolset.

I've been thinking about that. I probably will when I finish up the facial morphs and all the facial "jazz". I have got to say RH, you have inspired me yet again!! Your last video is insanely bad ***. Great facial rig. :)

MCHammond, Impressive rig you have there! Admittedly my favourite part is the TnA controls. :D Nice spine too, great job. :thumbsup:
Glad I could have inspired you to try it in LW again.