PDA

View Full Version : making a snake coil up

pdp editor
04-25-2009, 09:48 AM
See the attached. I'm trying to make this snake coil up the pole in the BG. I created it ok but when I move the geometry so that the body weaves from front to back the geometry get wacky because of the tweaking. The images prob. explain this better. My end goal is to use the trailer plug-in once I get pass this step to sent it up the +y. Any and all pointers or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Largely my issue is learning to use the tools in modeler to create the objects I desire, I've tried using splines, a box and others and It always comes down to this problem. moving either the polys or points still deforms the object as it's being moved and once the object is in the desire position; it no longer looks like a snake.

I have search this forum and found many one word or one phase solutions to the problem and I have played with these "fill in the blanks" with little success.
"I" learn best from working through tuts with the steps and procedures explained to some degree. So these are of little value. That said they do reveal useful information; yesterday I found a post from 2004 about the rope plug-in. WOW I bought it at once! What a powerful tool, its been somewhat helpful; I still need guidance. Thank in advance.

geothefaust
04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Question is, does it need to be animated, or are you just modeling the logo as is?

pdp editor
04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh yes it needs to move. Animation is crucial!

RebelHill
04-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Your model needs to be straight, then deform along the curve during animation.

Ztreem
04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I would model it with magic bevel. Start with a square poly and magic bevel it up around the pole or try the seashell tool.
Edit: Ok, if you want to animate it I would make it just like Rebelhill suggested.

SplineGod
04-25-2009, 12:07 PM
If youre going to animate it I would check out DStorms free Trailer plugin. It will allow you to deform the snake along its animation path.
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/displace.htm

pdp editor
04-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Thank you Larry from the post here I see my error. I was trying to create the winding snake in modeler. it seems layout is the answer. I have trailer and will try it on the snake tonight.