PDA

View Full Version : correct .obj export

slow67
08-19-2003, 03:53 PM
I have been realy happy with lightwave, One thing that always bites me in the $#* is when i have import into another program. The .obj format usually will do what I need. Why doesnt Lightwave Export UVs in the .obj file. This would be a pretty simple feature to add. If there is a plugin that does this or any other 3rd party program that will please let me know, I tried a few 3rd party programs that read .lwo, but they dont read the current .lwo file format.

Kuzey
08-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Have you tried UV Mapper..it's really a cool little program:p

www.uvmapper.com

Import your obj into uvmapper, create a uv map and re export your mesh & map under a new name. The good is, if you import the new .obj back into Lightwave...the uv information stays intact.

Kuzey

EyesClosed
08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
LightWave does export the UV map info. if you know how to do it. :rolleyes:

slow67
08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
I have used uvmapper and it is realy great at what it does, but if you have already done the all the hard work of mapping and adjusting uvs in Lightwave, then its not going to help much.

LightWave does export the UV map info. if you know how to do it.

:) please make me look stupid, enlighten me

I do remember reading somewhere that you could export uvs as long as you had a texture assigned. This however has not worked for me.

EyesClosed
08-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Assign the UV map in the Color channel. You don't have to have a texture applied.

Works fine for me. :D

Mylenium
08-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Eggsactly! LW only supports UVs in color channels and that's the only one where it makes sense. Having an image texture there is not necessarily needed, however it helps avoid errors. Since programs like e.g. Maya use different surface parameters it would not make sense to for instance have a UV set in the luminosity channel (Maya uses Ambient and Incandescence). The same goes for Diffuse, Specular, Translucency, Transparency etc. etc..

Mylenium

slow67
08-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Assign the UV map in the Color channel. You don't have to have a texture applied.
:D thank you very much, now dont I look stupid :p I cant beleive I didnt try that, I guess I never use my uv maps in the color channel.

mattc
08-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Umm, IIRC the obj exporter will only export 1 UV map.

LW, OTOH, will allow you as many UV maps as you like in any channel.

Kuzey
08-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Wow....now that's brilliant!!

Many thanks!!

Kuzey