PDA

View Full Version : dull lettering over chrome

monfoodoo
04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
What would be the two gray values on the reflection channel for doing nonreflective lettering over chrome with a uv map?

Thomas M.
04-25-2009, 07:27 AM
That depends. Create a black/white map for your letters. In layout feed this into a gradient as input and use the alpha values for whatever you like. I recommend to use the reflection blur for first experiments. Chrome 0-1% blur, blurred reflection (sandblasted?) 100%-. Use another gradient to change the reflection if you want to reduce it for the letters.

Cheers
Thomas

monfoodoo
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
If your refering to Nodes,i hav'nt even started to learn this.But i get what your saying.

Thomas M.
04-25-2009, 02:49 PM
There's nothing like learning nodes. Just do it. Open the nodes panel, grab the nodes from the left side (e.g. reflection, gradient, image map), place them, connect them with each other done. Even if you are new to nodes 30minutes should be enough to let you figure out how your set up will work. Easy gameplay!

monfoodoo
04-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Will do!

dwburman
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
If you want to do it in layers you could make a Black and White version of the image to use as a mask and set the layer mode to Alpha.

Learn nodes, though. It's totally worth it. There's a layers node if you need the comfort of the familiar.

monfoodoo
04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Any good books on the subject of nodes?

Thomas M.
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Took me a view days to get comfortable with nodes. It is much easier to understand and handle than the layers (awful stuff). It's really easy, don't think of books, learning by doing. The only thing you should keep in mind is that the diffuse and specular and the sss nodes have their own built in amount of how much the effect is visible. Reflection and refraction nodes contrary only shape the quality of the effect. The amount needs to be set on the main (mother) node.

When do we see your first try?

monfoodoo
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll start working with them this week.I'll isolate some parts on this project and see what i come up with.

toby
05-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I'll start working with them this week.I'll isolate some parts on this project and see what i come up with.
Holy crap that's nice!
I second the nodes love. You can do a kind of visual programming with them, but I'm no programmer - I just use them like building blocks; "hm, I like that, let's plug it in here". And it's still way more flexible and convenient than layers.

3DGFXStudios
05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Cool bike!!! The rear tire doesn't look really comfy! ;)

RudySchneider
05-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Cool bike!!! The rear tire doesn't look really comfy! ;)

They're not meant to be comfy, but functional. They're dune tires, similar to what's used here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN4cew01GBE).

monfoodoo
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Got a way to go yet,but it's gettin there.Also,i've purchased the "LightWave 3D 9 Introduction to Node Based Texturing " from Kurv and it's quite informative.I can see how powerful nodes can be.