PDA

View Full Version : vista search is ****

cresshead
04-25-2009, 03:15 AM
vista search is ****

you can't seach via file type...WTF!
or booleans....

all you get is date, size tag, authors and size...no f'n file type?
f n bull poo
so annoying!!!!!

do i really have to remove my hard drives and re install them in an xp computer just so i can search them properly...GRRRRRR

DiedonD
04-25-2009, 03:19 AM
vista search is ****

or booleans....

f n bull poo
so annoying!!!!!

do i really have to remove my hard drives and re install them in an xp computer just so i can search them properly...GRRRRRR

You mean, in Windows Vista you cant Search with a ' *.doc ' ?

What happens if you do?

cresshead
04-25-2009, 03:32 AM
yeah don't work.... seach *.jpg brings 3 results yet i know i have thousands of jpg files..

vista is a bunch of poo when you search for stuff...so crap it's just not funny...wasted over an hour trying to find an image..i'm moving my folders to a 1tb usb drive and will use xp to search for stuff.

and yeah i've tick the non indexed radio button too...usless pooo.

Cageman
04-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Do yourself a favor and get Directory Opus. The best filemanager on the planet.

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

walfridson
04-25-2009, 03:39 AM
This says you can?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx
ext:jpg

DiedonD
04-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Well I converted my Vista to XP long ago.

You dont need to be a programmer to know that it was poo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klrwvKCU8Sk&feature=PlayList&p=409E9732EE6B6412&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41)

Only Neverko still defends Vista I think.

cresshead
04-25-2009, 03:52 AM
This says you can?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx
ext:jpg

yeah know all that...it's just un-releiable filth

as per ususal it tries to help you...i want control and not have to wade thru .jpg.wdesk files [thumbs] as well as jpg files if my search was ONLY for .jpg

also the results don't count them selves...you get a window full of files but NO number how many there are...you have to select all,rh click...properties to find how many results you have...utter stupid nonsense for 2009.

the sooner this bag of poo dies the better....i bet windows 7 search is crap too though...

cresshead
04-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Your vista is broken :p It works fine here. :)

I have attached my search settings. This works for me. I have indexing disabled on my drives, I don't like it or need it.

With the attached settings, file searching works perfectly for me and wildcards work as well.

If you disable indexing, but keep the default search settings. Searching will be borked.

Diedon, just shut up. You're only making a fool of yourself. You might not see any benefits due to your limited capacity for understanding Vista. But that does not limit the benefits for those who understand and utilize them.

okay i'll try your settings...

DiedonD
04-25-2009, 03:56 AM
You're only making a fool of yourself. You might not see any benefits due to your limited capacity for understanding Vista. But that does not limit the benefits for those who understand and utilize them.

The movie in youtube clearly demonstrates just from where Vista has come from, and Im making a fool out of myself for not liking it?!!

Id beg to differ!

And where just chatting here ok. Switch off the 'Shut Up' and 'Fool' names will you? Your not the one to judge or tell me what to do. Who do you think you are?

sammael
04-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Cant say I had any problem with the search myself, Im using similar settings as Neverko. I think it actually works better if anything... Vista takes a little bit of getting used to but I would never go back, geez I hate XP. Cracks me up how people have so many problems with Vista, it really comes down to user error as far as I can tell, just give it more than 1 day and you should be ok. I'm still on my original install of Vista 64 on this machine after around 2 years (whenever it was first released), it would take an XP miracle for that to happen.

mehetabel
04-25-2009, 04:06 AM
I am using google desktop for finding my files. Even though I know where to find all my files. I use it more like a quick access tool. Works perfect for me! It only has to index your files once which can take some time.

Not sure if it is usefull for you, but you might give it a try :)

cresshead
04-25-2009, 04:12 AM
I get a nice little counter at the bottom of the window. It shows me how many files were found. When I open regular folders it tells me how many items are in the folder.

I think you should take a step back, take a deep breath and then spend 2 minutes setting the options to your liking. :)

I agree that the defaults are mostly poo. It is just not a big issue to me since it takes a one time session of a couple of minutes to get everything to work.

so i've now set the layout to 'details pane' so it actually COUNTS the results...

why o why are the defaults so rubbish in vista?

fn tags...fn date taken...more stupid defaults!

yeah once you've hacked vista...it starts to work as well as window 95 but defaults on installs are utter filth.

turn off uac otherwise zbrush doesn't work....
change folder types so all you folders have a "date modified"
change layout so it counts the files...
change search defaults so it can find stuff
remove tag
remove date taken
remove rating
turn off areo

change change change....:confused::beta:

i wish there was a xp setting...so all the above just set them selves up with a single click...

and re folders on c drive...you can't change the 'drive' to remove tags and date taken and show date modified...you have to do each master folder..unlike drive d,e,f,g etc...

DiedonD
04-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Youtube? LOL! I don't even need to say more.

Were not on the same frequency!

But the fact is, while I make humorous posts you take them seriosly and call names and tell people what to do!

Eugeny
04-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Actually vista's search is excellent and ability to search from "file open" window is God send, then u need to open lightwave files with not linked textures/objects, just copy the name of missing object, paste to search field and boom u got it , click to load and u can search next one ...

DiedonD
04-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Keep telling yourself that.

Man youre just beeing rude! What the heck is wrong with you today!

akademus
04-25-2009, 04:31 AM
That's always been the problem. People don't really know how to use the tools, unwilling to spend couple of minutes learning or setting and pronouncing it stupid because it didn't complied with their initial internal logic.

Vista search is a bit awkward but quite fast and useful when used properly.
I have no idea how I would use my computers and 10TB of storage without indexed search in Vista.

I hesitated to upgrade to Vista mostly due to it's hardware hunger, but when I upgraded all the comps 6 months ago and get each of them decent amount of RAM (4-8GB) I have to say I'm very happy how the things are going. Had to reinstall only once on the main workstation due to extremely heavy usage of the poor bugger.

I can only imagine one would keep 32-bit Xp if he's doomed to outdated computer.

cresshead
04-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Yeh, the defaults are sucky. I don't like them either. But the OS is very solid once you configure it a bit, like 15 minutes of work in all. I much prefer it over XP as a workstation environment. The drivers are usually better now as well.

is there anyway to cusomise folder on the c drive to all show date modified and drop tag, star rating, date taken crap...d drive has a customise tab but c drive doesn't....

cresshead
04-25-2009, 04:42 AM
That's always been the problem. People don't really know how to use the tools, unwilling to spend couple of minutes learning or setting and pronouncing it stupid because it didn't complied with their initial internal logic.

Vista search is a bit awkward but quite fast and useful when used properly.
I have no idea how I would use my computers and 10TB of storage without indexed search in Vista.

I hesitated to upgrade to Vista mostly due to it's hardware hunger, but when I upgraded all the comps 6 months ago and get each of them decent amount of RAM (4-8GB) I have to say I'm very happy how the things are going. Had to reinstall only once on the main workstation due to extremely heavy usage of the poor bugger.

I can only imagine one would keep 32-bit Xp if he's doomed to outdated computer.

i spent an hour not a couple of mins....and searched google which came back with a tutorial that showed adding filters in search but on my vista 64bit there is no such thing!!!...how annoying is that!

detaults on vista are "own goal making" which leads people to think it's utter poo whereas the defaults are utter poo and some ofit is just plain stupid.

where the F is this then?

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5923713.html

akademus
04-25-2009, 05:11 AM
where the F is this then?
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5923713.html

Here:
"Now, as I close, it's important that I point out that you have to take this information with a grain of salt, considering the fact that Windows Vista's release date is over a year a way and the operating system, while more solidified than it has been prior to this point in time, is still in a state of flux"

The article is from 2005 from an early "longhorn" beta.

Ember
04-25-2009, 05:40 AM
the sooner this bag of poo dies the better....i bet windows 7 search is crap too though...

Just wanted to point out that Windows 7 search is by far superior to Vista's, which is superior to XP's... With 7 I really don't feel like I'd need a better search anymore. Seven is like an optimized version of Vista with all the confusing stuff turned to logical. I have VERY little bad to say about seven which I've been using as my main operating system since January (yeah, I must be crazy but this thing just works even when it's still a beta...).

cresshead
04-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Here:
"Now, as I close, it's important that I point out that you have to take this information with a grain of salt, considering the fact that Windows Vista's release date is over a year a way and the operating system, while more solidified than it has been prior to this point in time, is still in a state of flux"

The article is from 2005 from an early "longhorn" beta.

yeah i KNOW...wtf did they pull this out of Vista then?:mad::bangwall:

akademus
04-25-2009, 06:17 AM
yeah i KNOW...wtf did they pull this out of Vista then?:mad::bangwall:

So they can introduce it in 7 and make you upgrade :D

sammael
04-25-2009, 06:43 AM
So they can introduce it in 7 and make you upgrade :D

Yeah when are they just gonna bring out Windows Final already? damn them... ;) ohhh I hate you bill.
Guess ill just wait until Win 7 to upgrade anything, if they could just bring out a new reliable version every 2 years as the hardware starts getting a bit sluggish that could almost be a good alternative to Windows Final.

Matt
04-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Searching worked fine for me in Vista.

But I made the move to Directory Opus recently, so even if it didn't I no longer have to worry about it!

IMI
04-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Only Neverko still defends Vista I think.

Nope, not just neverko, I defend Vista too.

All over the 'net I do, and I've discovered there aren't any problems that don't have simple solutions. The only *real* Vista problem I've discovered is that it will frequently change your folder views, but there's a very easy manual registry hack to fix that for good.
Search works fine where I'm at. Even with indexing turned OFF, I just found every single jpg file on one of my drives, in about 10 seconds.

SBowie
04-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Nope, not just neverko, I defend Vista too.So do I, it's been fine on all my systems - but I do dislike the Search. Whatever can be favorably said about it, its UI is far from intuitive.

IMI
04-25-2009, 07:51 AM
So do I, it's been fine on all my systems - but I do dislike the Search. Whatever can be favorably said about it, its UI is far from intuitive.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I'm so used to it now though, it's all quite familiar. My cheap little office computer has XP 32 bit on it, and I can barely stand to use it now. I had to buy Window Blinds for it, just to make it less XP-like. ;)

AbnRanger
04-25-2009, 07:54 AM
vista search is ****

or booleans....

f n bull poo
so annoying!!!!!

do i really have to remove my hard drives and re install them in an xp computer just so i can search them properly...GRRRRRRPrior to Vista, I saw no problems with Windows, but have come to loathe Vista with every fiber within me. I'm now glad to see Apple crack on MS in those commercials. Keep it up, maybe Master Bill will wake up and stop screwing with Windows. I wish they would allow purchasers of new PC's to choose which OS. When a new OS requires you to have to do a lot of research ways to disable all the annoying and buggy things they have added...it's crap in my book. Imagine the millions of folks who aren't so computer/tech savvy. I can see them blowing a major gasket with Windows telling them THEY AREN'T THE ADMINISTRATOR when they bloody-well are!

dweinkauf
04-25-2009, 08:53 AM
My, my, my.....

This debate over Vista still goes on, but why is it still going on? Is Vista still taking time away from people's real work for its care and feeding? For us XP users, the file search thing is a no brainer.

I lost track of how many years ago I installed XP and never had to configure anything to get it working for my applications. I'm getting into HD now and still haven't found any need to reconfigure anything. I'm an OS dummy and proud of it. My need has always been to get real work done with the applications the OS runs without any time wasted on OS nonsense. XP has more than met my needs in that area.

When I had my VT5 workstation upgraded, I had my dealer create a dual boot XP Pro and XP-64 OS. It works beautifully! In the almost three years since that upgrade, the workstation once accidentally got infected with some viruses because I stupidly used the internet on that unprotected workstation to get something instead of taking the time to get the item through my other computer with its virus protection and firewall. No problem, no data lost. and again a no brainer. I simply loaded the ghost image, went and did some much needed house work, had a cup of coffee, came back, sat down and started working again. No problems then or since. Just a reminder to the dummy in me to only access the internet through my protected computer.

In addition to that workstation, I purchased two new computers in the last couple of years and made sure they were downgraded to XP before purchase so I wouldn't have to spend any time with configuration. With both, I was able to pull them out of the boxes, plug them in, load the software I needed, and get to work. Absolutely no problems or time wasted on all that configuration nonsense.

Well, speaking of work, I have to run and fire up my eight year old Vista-incompatible scanner and start on today's pile of work.

cresshead
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
vista isn't totally poo but there are some things that just plain make my blood boil

take the audio controls for example...chad valley rubbish compred to xp, 2000, me, 98 and windows 95...what were they thinking when they ruined the audio controls for input and output?...i feel 'out of control' in audio in vista and makes setting up a music recording workstation on vista feel like it'll be a nightmare to get working.

i want my inputs and my outputs with levels not some vista rubbish with 'applications'

IMI
04-25-2009, 09:16 AM
My, my, my.....

This debate over Vista still goes on, but why is it still going on? Is Vista still taking time away from people's real work for its care and feeding?

Umm... no. Not where I'm sitting it's not. Vista works great. Just like any other software, you have to understand it. XP casued problems for people too, at first, and if you'd like I could direct you to a few places where there are still people claiming they'll never give up their Windows 2000, for the same reason XP people don't like Vista.

For us XP users, the file search thing is a no brainer.

Me too. But in Vista. Search works fine for me, as I just posted less than an hour ago. I guess the positive stories don't count though, when you prefer to believe the negative reports are the only truth...

XP never was particularly fast in searches for me, though in all fairness, my Vista machines are alot more powerful than my XP machines ever were.
And it's alot faster with indexing turned on, but that's not necessary, and creates a hit on HDD performance.

IMI
04-25-2009, 09:21 AM
vista isn't totally poo but there are some things that just plain make my blood boil

take the audio controls for example...chad valley rubbish compred to xp, 2000, me, 98 and windows 95...what were they thinking when they ruined the audio controls for input and output?...i feel 'out of control' in audio in vista and makes setting up a music recording workstation on vista feel like it'll be a nightmare to get working.

i want my inputs and my outputs with levels not some vista rubbish with 'applications'

I think that's because of MS's dropping of support for hardware drivers. For as much as I love using Vista, I'll admit audio support is a problem, and it's documented all over the web., and a good sound card is hard to find. Usually the built in motherboard sound is better for some odd reason, probably becasue the boards are desinged for Vista, wheras alot of sound card manufacturers still don't support it. But gamer audio cards designed for Vista work well, and come with good software, but really, audio support was better in XP.

dweinkauf
04-25-2009, 09:40 AM
If Vista works for you, by all means, help yourself.

XP has always worked for me without any problems whatsoever and absolutely no need to configure anything. Again, it lets me devote my time to getting my work done without the need to fiddle with an OS.

It also lets me use my older, but great, equipment - something Vista won't let me do.

For me, XP isn't broken, so there's no need to fix it with something that would require the one thing I have very little of - time.

COBRASoft
04-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Search on Windows is simple: DON'T! Use DOpus instead, much more powerfull like customized filters.

Also, for speed, turn off all indexing on all your partitions (mainly used for Windows Search). Your computer will become faster, only search will go slower.

IMI
04-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Cresshead, I forgot to mention, most of the (inexpensive) 24 bit Audigy Creative Labs Soundblaster sound cards work well in Vista. Except in 64 bit, you can't install the drivers through the autorun and have to do it manually from the exe within one of the CD's folders. It's because the suite installer is incompatible with 64 bit, not with Vista. But the individual installers work fine, and the software that comes with them is really quite nice - EQ, effects, all the usual stuff. The main installer may have been fixed in more recent models though.

IMI
04-25-2009, 09:50 AM
It also lets me use my older, but great, equipment - something Vista won't let me do.

Yeah, I too have an older scanner and printer I can't use in Vista, and have to use with my old 32 bit XP box. Not a problem though, since I can just do that and upload the scanned files to any other machine through the network, or send documents down to print out.

dweinkauf
04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, a network works really well and I use one as well for printing. But with XP on all three of my workstations, I can use all my older equipment with any of the workstations for a specific purpose if the need arises. So if I'm doing a lot of scanning on one particular workstation, I can avoid wasting time on uploading by simply hooking the scanner to that workstation, and saving the images there. Really very simple and a time saver. No need to tie up the network in order to access a machine with Vista on it.

Sande
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Do yourself a favor and get Directory Opus. The best filemanager on the planet.
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Quoted for agreement. Excellent stuff, I have used it since Amiga. After a few days with Dopus it's pretty hard to go back to the standard explorer.

sammael
04-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Well I actually have to agree with you about the audio... the way I got mine to even work seems like a hack job and most of the 3rd party controls still dont work 2 years later...

Appart from that it seems fine though... well better at least but still not ideal. I do wish they would stop adding so many pictures to everything and making them progressively bigger all the time though I know you can tone most of it down but what sort of lunatic even wants all that stuff?

cresshead
04-25-2009, 05:58 PM
yeah i was going to get Sonar 8 for my workstation and some software synths but the whole idea i trying to get a pro audio setup running on vista is just too scary to even think about...i'll save up and get a new mac as they 'just work' and my xp based pc's are too old really to take advantage of soft synths with only limited ram not like my vista workstation which has 8 gig ram...

i'll try a demo on vista but i don't hold out much hope getting audio monitoring working as i record with such childish controls they vista gives you....i can't even get camtasia to send my mic audio thru to my headphones in vista when i'm making training vids for lightwve core...

on my win xp old laptop...no problem at all.

sammael
04-25-2009, 06:05 PM
i can't even get camtasia to send my mic audio thru to my headphones in vista when i'm making training vids for lightwve core...

Yeah I had a few dramas with my headset as well, I got it to work by the auto detect stuff built in to the 3rd party driver. You have to check the settings in whatever software your hardware installs and them make sure the control panel/sound settings are set up correctly as well thats what I have gathered so far, I dont do much with audio though.

IMI
04-25-2009, 11:42 PM
yeah i was going to get Sonar 8 for my workstation and some software synths but the whole idea i trying to get a pro audio setup running on vista is just too scary to even think about...i'll save up and get a new mac as they 'just work' and my xp based pc's are too old really to take advantage of soft synths with only limited ram not like my vista workstation which has 8 gig ram...

i'll try a demo on vista but i don't hold out much hope getting audio monitoring working as i record with such childish controls they vista gives you....i can't even get camtasia to send my mic audio thru to my headphones in vista when i'm making training vids for lightwve core...

Steve, it's not Vista. Well it IS, but....
Well, don't blame Microsoft, blame the sound card and motherboard manufacturers for not getting with the program. I don't really know the details, but it's the same deal basically as MS dropping support for video drivers and OpenGL in Vista, and has alot to do with DirectX 10.

Basically, they told the manufacturers of audio and video products they're on their own, and although Nvidia and ATI have stepped up to the plate nicely, the audio people are the ones who are... poo. ;)

So, Vista supplies the very basic tools, and as you've seen, VERY basic. It's up to you, the consumer, to solve your own sound issues by buying a good sound card with good software.

Well, this is the nature of the computer world after all. Things change and if you want the best, you have to change with it.

If you're going to use Vista and you want great sound with great software, you're going to have to get a good sound card that supports Vista. Many of the newer Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi gaming cards fit into that category and aren't TOO expensive.

Personally though at this point I'd just recommend staying with XP and checking out Windows 7 when its released. I think there will be better support for both audio and video with Windows 7.

VirtualFM
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Quoted for agreement. Excellent stuff, I have used it since Amiga. After a few days with Dopus it's pretty hard to go back to the standard explorer.

Another vote for Opus here!

I usually hate Windows, but there's really nothing that pulls me to Apple anyway (beside the lack of programs I use). But latelly I don't feel any problems with windows! Why?1 Because everything I do I am staring with either at Opus for file management, Opera for web browsing (way better than Firefox, in my opinion, not sure about chrome for quick stuff), a specific program like Lightwave (see?! This is on-topic!) and even for launching programs, since I am using ObjectDock (http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/) (awesome app that makes sense, besides looking good).

So, in the end, I never see Windows! Yup! I never see it, except for the occasional file open/save requester. Feels really cool now to work on a PC! ... and I never thought I would ever say that!

cresshead
04-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Steve, it's not Vista. Well it IS, but....
Well, don't blame Microsoft, blame the sound card and motherboard manufacturers for not getting with the program. I don't really know the details, but it's the same deal basically as MS dropping support for video drivers and OpenGL in Vista, and has alot to do with DirectX 10.

Basically, they told the manufacturers of audio and video products they're on their own, and although Nvidia and ATI have stepped up to the plate nicely, the audio people are the ones who are... poo. ;)

So, Vista supplies the very basic tools, and as you've seen, VERY basic. It's up to you, the consumer, to solve your own sound issues by buying a good sound card with good software.

Well, this is the nature of the computer world after all. Things change and if you want the best, you have to change with it.

If you're going to use Vista and you want great sound with great software, you're going to have to get a good sound card that supports Vista. Many of the newer Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi gaming cards fit into that category and aren't TOO expensive.

Personally though at this point I'd just recommend staying with XP and checking out Windows 7 when its released. I think there will be better support for both audio and video with Windows 7.

i friend of mine has a mac pro and logic..it 'just work's' straight out of the box so when i go for a audio recording set up later this year it'll be on mac not "windoze pissta" unless windows 7 delivers 'out of the box' too...

IMI
04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
i friend of mine has a mac pro and logic..it 'just work's' straight out of the box so when i go for a audio recording set up later this year it'll be on mac not "windoze pissta" unless windows 7 delivers 'out of the box' too...

Well fine, help yourself, have at it, enjoy.
I was under the impression you were looking for help with Vista here, but if you just wanted to whine about it you should have just said so and saved me the trouble.

Of course Mac just works straight out of the box. It's almost all proprietary. Spend twice as much on a Mac machine if you want to, it makes no difference to me.

Ember
04-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Dunno how it goes in Vista but in 7 it's really simple: right click on audio icon in taskbar -> recording devices -> Microphone -> properties -> Listen -> Listen to this device -> OK.

You can choose which device will do the playback from a dropdown list. Also by activating "Stereo mix" and fiddling with settings you can quite easily achieve looping audio back from media players etc to other software in order to record it etc.

I'm *guessing* it's the same as in Vista, but can't say. Anyway, at least I found this easier than in XP - it's just different and took some minutes to figure out.

mattclary
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
vista search is ****

or booleans....

f n bull poo
so annoying!!!!!

But MicroSoft is keeping you SAFE from finding stuff you shouldn't mess with! It's called "dumbing down" or "catering to the lowest common denominator".

mattclary
04-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Just wanted to point out that Windows 7 search is by far superior to Vista's, which is superior to XP's... With 7 I really don't feel like I'd need a better search anymore. Seven is like an optimized version of Vista with all the confusing stuff turned to logical. I have VERY little bad to say about seven which I've been using as my main operating system since January (yeah, I must be crazy but this thing just works even when it's still a beta...).

While I like 7 a lot better than Vista, I have to ask: WTF are you talking about? The search on 7 (build 7000, anyway) actually seems to suck worse that it did on Vista. While it is easy to get any file type you want (by doing the default nuclear strike, whole hard drive search), doing a fine search has so far eluded me. I want the ability to search C:\Program Files\ for "SomeFreakingDLL.dll"

p.s. Searching is really my only gripe with 7, really like it a lot. Seems a lot "smoother" than ME Junior.

mattclary
04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
OK, just actually took some time to try to puzzle it out since it is not intuitive. In 7, you have to actually browse to a folder to narrow the search to that folder.

Someone please explain to me why this is better than being able to right click > Search on a folder.

lwaddict
04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Works fine here.

In fact, we prefer Vista over other OS's...

but it's true that you just can't live with any of the default settings.

It needs some attention before you'll be happy.

Note that many of the 'are you sure?', 'are you the admin?', etc were added due to overwhelming requests for addtional security...
we shut that junk off, among dozens of other items...

then Vista is just smokin' hot.

cresshead
04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Dunno how it goes in Vista but in 7 it's really simple: right click on audio icon in taskbar -> recording devices -> Microphone -> properties -> Listen -> Listen to this device -> OK.

You can choose which device will do the playback from a dropdown list. Also by activating "Stereo mix" and fiddling with settings you can quite easily achieve looping audio back from media players etc to other software in order to record it etc.

I'm *guessing* it's the same as in Vista, but can't say. Anyway, at least I found this easier than in XP - it's just different and took some minutes to figure out.

sounds like windows 7 could be the answer...hope they don't screw that up before it's released.

IMI
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Someone please explain to me why this is better than being able to right click > Search on a folder.

But just earlier you said,

"But MicroSoft is keeping you SAFE from finding stuff you shouldn't mess with! It's called "dumbing down" or "catering to the lowest common denominator".

as if to imply you would prefer to be left alone by the OS, no dumbing down required. ;)

Well I happen to agree completely. I really don't see any reason why we should have to put up with all the nannyware and all the "helpful" and automatic stuff like Defender and Windows Update , and I would much prefer a stripped-down "pro" version for workstations that excludes all that crap.

But I feel the same way about searches too. I don't need Windows to supply a search function any more than I need it to supply sound or video hardware or drivers.

As for searching, just don't lose stuff. ;)
But you can also buy other programs and get freeware that does all that extra stuff Windows does, but more efficiently and using less resources too. IMO, that's the way it should be.
If they stopped trying to cater to all these special needs, such as searching, such as delivering sound, such as nannying, they could spend more time delivering a simple, solid operating system people wouldn't all be complaining about.

BeeVee
04-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I really encourage everyone on this thread who hasn't tried Directory Opus to give it a go (there's a sixty-day trial), and on my site LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com), there's a banner for it with a code to get a discount on the software. Be warned however, that it is software that rewards configuration.

B
(DOpus user since v3)

art
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I tried directory opus. It reminds me of norton commander from the dos days. Is there a way to turn off drag/drop so that it would prevent me from accidentally moving files and folders (while trying to select) into another folder shown in the same panel? Is it possible to copy and move files between panels using key shortcuts?
Is is possible to select files when dragging from first file to last? Now it begins the drag/drop action which I do not want for reasons stated above.

IMI
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I really encourage everyone on this thread who hasn't tried Directory Opus to give it a go (there's a sixty-day trial), and on my site LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com), there's a banner for it with a code to get a discount on the software. Be warned however, that it is software that rewards configuration.

B
(DOpus user since v3)

Yeah it does look pretty cool. I was checking it out the other day after it was first mentioned in this thread but have too much else to do ATM to mess with it. I'm planning on giving it a go though, soon enough.
Thatnks for the heads up on the discount! :thumbsup:

BeeVee
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
I tried directory opus. It reminds me of norton commander from the dos days. Is there a way to turn off drag/drop so that it would prevent me from accidentally moving files and folders (while trying to select) into another folder shown in the same panel? Is it possible to copy and move files between panels using key shortcuts?
Is is possible to select files when dragging from first file to last? Now it begins the drag/drop action which I do not want for reasons stated above.

Yes and yes. You can choose not to have full-line select, which means that you can draw a bounding box around the files you want, and yes you can setup shortcuts for anything. I have Shift-c and shift-v for copy and paste and alt-shift-c and -v for copy as and paste as. One of the best things is the simplest - ctrl-n for new folder! Yay! That alone saves me masses of time.

I also set a shortcut so that alt-doubleclicking on a file - txt, jpg, wav, lwo - will open it in the program I want, where just doubleclicking it will open it in a viewer.

B
PS. You also get a licence of portable DOpus so you can just shove it on a USB key and wherever you go have DOpus.

art
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Actually, full line does not seem to be on by default because I always get a bounding box. It appears that what I need is full line select. I just to not want to have any accidental actions (files moved, copied, exceuted, etc) while selecting files. Something like selecting files with shift and up/down arrows, but using only mouse. Can it be configured that way?

EDIT: Found it, it can be done in power mode. Now I really like it :)

Ember
04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
OK, just actually took some time to try to puzzle it out since it is not intuitive. In 7, you have to actually browse to a folder to narrow the search to that folder.

It all depends. It clicked me instantly, didnīt even think of right clicking to search... To me this is the intuitive way to do it. Especially since it reads (if I remember correctly, not on my Windows 7 machine) in the search that "Search in <folder name here>" before you click on the input area.

But yeah, it would be better to give more options for people more inclined for different ways to do things. Letīs see if this has changed in the RC which is coming within a week or so.

art
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I am also very used to right clicking on a folder name to search there. I have only brief experiences with vista's search tool. So far I found it confusing, but only because I'm used to do it differently. For some this might indeed be preferred way of searching. In xp you can also search in currently open folder by pressing f3

Medi8or
05-04-2009, 05:47 AM
I finally decided to do something about some of Vistas problems instead of just complaining about them.

How to stop Vista from messing with your folder views:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html

How to search by right-clicking a folder:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/134065-search-context-menu-item-restore-after-vista-sp1.html

:thumbsup:

IMI
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I finally decided to do something about some of Vistas problems instead of just complaining about them.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/134065-search-context-menu-item-restore-after-vista-sp1.html

That folder view hack works great, btw. I posted that in one of these other Vista threads not too long ago, but from a different source. Not the automated version, the manual version, which also includes a secondary failsafe registry hack to ensure they don't go back after an update or some other reason.
But yeah, it's perfectly safe and Windows rebuilds what it needs to, barring the part that told it to screw your folders, of course. ;)

mattclary
05-04-2009, 01:35 PM

FYI, this works on 7 also. Thanks!