PDA

View Full Version : Oscilloscope help

m4a2000
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I just got my hands on a Hitachi V-1050F (100MHz) Oscilloscope. I am tring to use it as a vectorscope. I aslo do not have a manual for it. I figure, seeing as I'm only 23 and many of you are twice my age, I would ask use guys for help.

RudySchneider
04-24-2009, 06:52 PM
For most applications, the scope inputs supply vertical deflection for one or more traces that sweep across the screen from left-to-right with a specified time base. Vector operation allows you to instead use one signal as the X-input, and another as the Y-input. The scope should actually have a "horizontal display" switch that allows you to specify X-Y inputs. Be certain that you set the proper amplitude scaling for the two inputs. Hope this helps...

JMCarrigan
04-24-2009, 07:46 PM
... seeing as I'm only 23 and many of you are twice my age, I would ask use guys for help.

That was a shot. I think that was a shot. How about three times? :D

m4a2000
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
That was a shot. I think that was a shot. How about three times? :D
Well, seeing I've been doing video work since I was 17, and I'm now called 'old' by students I'll make as many easy shots as I can. It helps...

JMCarrigan
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I hope Rudy Schneider's (Old Dog Learns New Tricks) info helped - seein' as you need help at 23. This way you're getting picked on from both directions. It'll get worse. ;o)

m4a2000
04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
For most applications, the scope inputs supply vertical deflection for one or more traces that sweep across the screen from left-to-right with a specified time base. Vector operation allows you to instead use one signal as the X-input, and another as the Y-input. The scope should actually have a "horizontal display" switch that allows you to specify X-Y inputs. Be certain that you set the proper amplitude scaling for the two inputs. Hope this helps...

It does a little... I was able to find a picture of the unit I have (attached to this post). Do I take in my main program feed into Input 1(X), Input 2(Y), or both?

RudySchneider
04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
A vector is usually defined by starting X-Y coordinates and ending X-Y coordinates. If you apply an input to only one channel, say the X-channel, the scope trace will only move along that one axis.

In the attached picture, I've circled the switch that selects the X-Y, vector input, mode. The original picture shows a sine wave, a signal whose amplitude varies periodically with time. If you were to apply this signal to both the Channel 1 (X) and Channel 2 (Y) inputs, you'd see the straight, diagonal line I've drawn on the screen. If you were to apply a sinusoidal signal to Channel 1 (X), and the same signal, shifted by 90 degrees (or one-quarter of its period) to Channel 2 (Y), the trace would produce a circle on the screen.