PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, for the Noobness. [how to render a simple animation in a Video file????

ansfav
04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Good Day!

I am new here so please forgive my stupidity.

My brother in law died a week ago, and he left his PC for me, he is a video editor for a local TV.

I have been playing with his PC lately and his Vegas Pro caught me, together with his Lightwave 9.6, for the last week i have been watching tutorials from Newtek and i manage to learn bit by bit...

So far i can render single frame 3D images, pictures, and learned to animate a li'l bit!

So here is my problem...

How am i able to render my 60 frame animation into a video file???

heheeheh sorry.

can someone please lead me to a good tutorial or is if there is another program that needs to be used to do so.

i tried searching the web for it, but kept finding answers that are quite irrelevant or just maybe i could not understand that easy.

Thank You very much! I am hoping for a easy' answer.

Thanks Good Day!

Ansfav:help:

IMI
04-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Well first off, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Second, welcome!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice, but just for starters it's better to render to an image sequence than a video file. An image sequence is just one picture for each frame. So if your comp crashes in the middle of rendering, which DOES happen, unfortunately, you can just pick up at the next frame in the sequence. If you're rendering out to a video file and you crash, it's all gone and you have to start from the beginning.

But you want to go to the Render Globals panel and select output, and from there select image,choose your format, choose where to save the files to, and then hit F10 on the keyboard. It will ask you if you want the render preview window on or off - your choice. And then it will save out each frame as a single image and keep at it.

After you get that done, you can learn how to use LW to turn those frames into an actual animation.

I wish I could be more detailed, but I can't open my LW right now... I'm sure someone else will chime in to fill in the gaps. :)

EDIT:
But if you DO want to render to an animation file (highly not recommended), the options for that are in the same place as the image sequence options. Just select animation file instead of images.

ansfav
04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Second, welcome!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice, but just for starters it's better to render to an image sequence than a video file. An image sequence is just one picture for each frame. So if your comp crashes in the middle of rendering, which DOES happen, unfortunately, you can just pick up at the next frame in the sequence. If you're rendering out to a video file and you crash, it's all gone and you have to start from the beginning.

But you want to go to the Render Globals panel and select output, and from there select image,choose your format, choose where to save the files to, and then hit F10 on the keyboard. It will ask you if you want the render preview window on or off - your choice. And then it will save out each frame as a single image and keep at it.

After you get that done, you can learn how to use LW to turn those frames into an actual animation.

I wish I could be more detailed, but I can't open my LW right now... I'm sure someone else will chime in to fill in the gaps. :)

Thanks!

That information was helpful, about the system crash. but i cant seem understand the directions you gave. sorry.

is there a video tutorial in newtek for it? If there is can you please guide me to it? Thanks sorry for the trouble.

ansfav
04-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Second, welcome!

EDIT:
But if you DO want to render to an animation file (highly not recommended), the options for that are in the same place as the image sequence options. Just select animation file instead of images.

Do you mean i have to render every frame? then just put it all in a video editor in the right direction then render it there???

IMI
04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
You're welcome.
As for video tutorials, I'm not aware of any for that, specifically. I really wish I could help more, but my LW computers are tied up for the rest of the night and can't be disturbed for me to open it up and come up with explicit instructions.
Jeez, for all the hundreds of times I looked at those panels, and I can't even visualize them right now. Been a long day. ;)

Have no fear though, someone else will come along soon, I'm sure. Do you have the manuals too? I'm sure there's something in them about saving an image sequence, seems to me I read it once.

You might want to also cross-post this question in the LW Support forum, a few notches below this one.

IMI
04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Do you mean i have to render every frame? then just put it all in a video editor in the right direction then render it there???

Yes, exactly. it's the same thing rendering to, say AVI would do, except AVI is compiling it at the same time. With an image sequence you get far more options for production though... far more. Just don't use .jpg as your output, use png or tiff or anything but jpg.

IMI
04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
But you don't have to use a video editor, although you certainly can. You can actually use LW to turm your image sequence into an animation later.
I just use Quick Time Pro for that though... much easier and pretty quick too.

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Keep in mind you do not need a seperate program for compiling your image sequences into video files. Seperate programs may have more special features (compression options, etc.), but you can do this in Lightwave.

After rendering your image sequence, save and clear your scene. Load the first frame of your sequence into the image editor. Tell it to be a sequence instead of a still image. Then to into the compositor panel and stick your image sequence in the background. Set your camera to the same resolution as your image sequence, change the render range to match your image sequence... Choose an anim format and render away.

ansfav
04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
But you don't have to use a video editor, although you certainly can. You can actually use LW to turm your image sequence into an animation later.
I just use Quick Time Pro for that though... much easier and pretty quick too.

Thanks! you have been a big help,

i im in modeler right now...

hehehehe

how can i wrap a map into a sphere that i made! thanks.

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
There are many ways to do UV Mapping. Some have areas of advantage/disadvantage that are different from other ways. Try using cyllinder unwrapping for starters. If you have an image of the earth unwrapped to a rectangle, that might be your best bet.

dwburman
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I recorded a quick video that shows how to render to an image sequence and then use lightwave to assemble it into an .avi.

You'll have to experiment with the different video codecs I normally use a Mac and Quicktime so I'm a bit out of practice with making .avi files.

Here is the YouTube address:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OaVrpnf1rI

I annotated the YouTube version so it may be easier to follow.

It is also at VFX Cast:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/9835/Rendering_image_sequences_and_movies_in_Lightwave/

Silkrooster
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Start with my resource guide, it should point you in the right direction. sorry its already getting out of date. So please excuse any links that no longer work.

ansfav
04-23-2009, 11:42 PM
You have been a big help!

I have been trying to do so for a week.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!:agree::D:thumbsup:;D:newtek:

OnlineRender
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Keep in mind you do not need a seperate program for compiling your image sequences into video files. Seperate programs may have more special features (compression options, etc.), but you can do this in Lightwave.

After rendering your image sequence, save and clear your scene. Load the first frame of your sequence into the image editor. Tell it to be a sequence instead of a still image. Then to into the compositor panel and stick your image sequence in the background. Set your camera to the same resolution as your image sequence, change the render range to match your image sequence... Choose an anim format and render away.

Learn something everyday ..