PDA

View Full Version : Sony handycams and their MPG/AC3 files!

dbakerstl
04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I had a hell of a time trying to edit these MPG/AC3 files that sony handycams produce - I could only use them when enabling the option in preferences for aac/ac3 etc.. But it was totally un-usable due to the fact that it would just CRASH when conforming the audio on any clip longer than 40 seconds.

BUT I found a great trick to get these converted and usable. You have to enable the AAC/AC3 option in the preferences, and then with the filelib open select all your MPG files and right click and select Render/Convert. Save as DV or something and render.

BEWARE - you have to BE REALLY FAST other wise it has a tendancy to crash, once it crashes when opening up the "render/convert" dialog, I could only use SE again by running the remove configuration settings batch file in the SE program files folder.

this process was way faster than trying to demux the audio etc... or using other AV converters (handbrake etc)
:thumbsup:

SBowie
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
BEWARE - you have to BE REALLY FAST other wise it has a tendancy to crashIf you are converting AVC to something else and it's crashing while the Filebin is trying to render animated thumbnails, you might try using the Details Only view to avoid that.

dbakerstl
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
If you are converting AVC to something else and it's crashing while the Filebin is trying to render animated thumbnails, you might try using the Details Only view to avoid that.

Using details only seemed to help the conversion process :) thanks. But those files are still a bugger...

SBowie
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
You might try manually killing the (hidden) NewTek Info folders from a Windows file browser, then navigating to the folder with Details view ... just a thought, maybe a dumb one.