PDA

View Full Version : Modo shows the way!

jaxtone
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
After more than 10 years it would be nice if the Lightwave developers listened to their users that works in close relation with the industry!

If Modo that mostly are picked on by wavers can do this, ask yourself how come that Lightwave newer listened!

Luxology Previews New SolidWorks Importer at SolidWorks World 2009 http://www.luxology.com/press/release/20090209_Solidworks_Importer.aspx

... and then this:

COLLADA Support Enhanced
http://forums.luxology.com/community/content/COLLADAioGDC2009post.pdf

UnCommonGrafx
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
User-made tool since we have an sdk for quite a while.
Collada added with 9.6.

Why do you feel the need to toot their horn around here when indeed, this is merely a squeak?

bobakabob
04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Lol. Could be through some extraordinary aberration in the fabric of space and time he hasn't heard of Lightwave Core 8/

gristle
04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
The Solidworks importer is good news. My path from CAD to LW has always been via Rhino.

archijam
04-23-2009, 01:53 PM
The solidworks importer is probably also linked to the fact that they sold them the LUX render engine (through technology exchange)?

The thread title is odd. Why didn't you just post these in an old Lux Rox thread?

borkus
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
...This is a McDonald's forum? What do you guys think of the Whopper?...

Hopper
04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
...This is a McDonald's forum? What do you guys think of the Whopper?...
Shhhhh don't tell anyone ... that's Burger King... :D

UnCommonGrafx
04-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Burger King has flamed broiled burgers. I love the singe-ed-ness of the grilling process. But their Mushroom burgers suck!
Hardees has the best mushroom burger.
I don't eat at McDonalds. They suck, in general. May have to buy some stock in them, though...

IMI
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Burger King has flamed broiled burgers. I love the singe-ed-ness of the grilling process. But their Mushroom burgers suck!

Agreed about the 'shrooms at Burger King. I'm not real thrilled with the Angus, either. And their fries suck. Somewhere along the way they changed their onion ring cooking lube and now their onion rings suck too. I think they're using Pennzoil 5W30 now, but it could be a synthetic.

Whoppers are fantastic though. If they had fries like McDonald's, I could actually get a whole meal at BK.

And bringing back "The King" was just... weird. That guy's disturbing.

borkus
04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
nuff said.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDAcNmU9bo)

Silkrooster
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
And bringing back "The King" was just... weird. That guy's disturbing.

I whole heartedly agree... What is it with Burger King and their passion for Adult entertainment wannabee? Jeesh...

Silkrooster
04-23-2009, 09:45 PM
After more than 10 years it would be nice if the Lightwave developers listened to their users that works in close relation with the industry!

If Modo that mostly are picked on by wavers can do this, ask yourself how come that Lightwave newer listened!

Luxology Previews New SolidWorks Importer at SolidWorks World 2009 http://www.luxology.com/press/release/20090209_Solidworks_Importer.aspx

... and then this:

COLLADA Support Enhanced
Don't ya just love how your thread became a drive - thru thread. :D

borkus
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
adultish. Minor gore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Wggi8yeAY&feature=PlayList&p=488DD310D95F943F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=34)

Cageman
04-24-2009, 01:48 PM
COLLADA Support Enhanced

Well.. you can thank the devs of MODO for a codebase that sucks regarding LW. The devs at NT are going to fix those issues with CORE, since the old codebase... well... sucks.

:)

UnCommonGrafx
04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Dagnabit,
In being fair, I have to disagree, Cageman. They did all kinds of things right, back then. One of them was the sdk. Without, Dodgy wouldn't have been able to do the stl importer so many years ago.
Not only that but what else they enabled with what they did.
Modo, though, is a really nice makeover. But it is, a makeover. Ms. Doyle will look more handsome but it will still be ... handsome.

danielkaiser
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Your all wrong, In"n"Out Burgers are the best, I'll have a Double Double Animal Style, thank you very much.

sampei
04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
you guys should start taking care of yourselves, less beef and more :chicken:
:hammer:

Oedo 808
04-24-2009, 09:27 PM
More Beef! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZU6EDSu8ho)

sampei
04-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Less beef AND less:chicken: - more SOY. :D
erm no thanks, I'm a carnivore :devil:

sampei
04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
More Beef! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZU6EDSu8ho)
nothing beats "dunking some beef" in the morning :ohmy:
actually its the first time I hear that expression :D

Panikos
04-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I judge the progress. Lux in few years developed an app with everything required in 2009.
Killer modeler with sculpting and painting, killer renderer/previewer with fur/hair, volumetrics, instancing ... you name it...killer GUI with instant feedback, everything made the RIGHT way, not half ****. I am not writing about promises here, but undoubted facts.

IMI
04-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Well.. you can thank the devs of MODO for a codebase that sucks regarding LW. The devs at NT are going to fix those issues with CORE, since the old codebase... well... sucks.

I think that's kind of an unusual thing for you to write. A year ago, before anyone here ever heard of CORE, you would have jumped all over anyone who wrote that about LW. Yes, you would have. :)

Of course, I've already predicted here it wouldn't be long before even the most die-hard LW fans would begin turning on it - maybe this is an example of the beginning of that.

IMI
04-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Less beef AND less:chicken: - more SOY. :D

I'd sooner die of starvation. :D

jay3d
04-25-2009, 01:24 AM
I judge the progress. Lux in few years developed an app with everything required in 2009.
Killer modeler with sculpting and painting, killer renderer/previewer with fur/hair, volumetrics, instancing ... you name it...killer GUI with instant feedback, everything made the RIGHT way, not half ****. I am not writing about promises here, but undoubted facts.

Agree on almost everything except the sculpting and renderer things,
sculpting in modo is slow and stuttering even a $99 Silo can do a better job regarding that.

The renderer in modo is good enough, but the lack of more procedural textures/nodes, made it not easy as everytime u have to make a bitmap tex for even a simple tex, the GI is slower than LW 9.6 when it comes to multiple bounces and have visible black artifacts at corners, and LW 9.6 GI caching is far ahead into the future not even when compared with modo but with mentalray too. Modo modeler while being great in modeling organics, it fell little short when it comes to correct some polys problems and details and there're some tools in LW that i cannot live without when u r dealing with CAD imported models like coplanar reduction and normal corrector .. etc.

Fprime behave more interactive when compared to modo preview render

I own both apps

Cageman
04-25-2009, 02:35 AM
I think that's kind of an unusual thing for you to write. A year ago, before anyone here ever heard of CORE, you would have jumped all over anyone who wrote that about LW. Yes, you would have. :)

Actually, no... :)

During the whole 9.x OB period there are countless posts from me saying that I wan't LW to evolve and that I back then believed that NewTek were working on something "behind the scenes". I think the OB forums are still there so I think you should be able to find examples. :) I didn't know back then how the old codebase was structured, but my meetings with Jonas gave me the answers why, for example, Modeler never got any updates.

Though, there are still things in LW that are very very usefull, such as Nodal displacements and I have always been vocal about certain stuff in LW that really are among the top features, such as the vertex maps implementation. But those features doesn't change the fact that the old codebase is crap regarding structure and how it allows for adding features that are integrated throughout the app.

EDIT: Just to back myself up, here is a link to a post in OB-forums (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=539250&postcount=8) dated 05-05-2007. At this time, I did not know about the state of the codebase and I had yet to meet with Jonas, but my idea of what has to happen in order to move LW forward is pretty spot on regarding what CORE stands for.

IMI
04-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Actually, no... :)

<snip>

Well yeah, you're right. I just thought the comment from you seemed alot sharper than what I would normally expect to see from you regarding LW. I just don't remember you ever criticizing anything about LW publicly, as you've always been one of its staunchest defenders.

But it's cool, and I probably took it out of context, and I apologize if I did. :)

Cageman
04-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Well yeah, you're right. I just thought the comment from you seemed alot sharper than what I would normally expect to see from you regarding LW. I just don't remember you ever criticizing anything about LW publicly, as you've always been one of its staunchest defenders.

But it's cool, and I probably took it out of context, and I apologize if I did. :)

Well... it was a very harsh comment, very cynical of course. Modo is a very good application, and the programmers have clearly learned by past misstakes. They seem to be able to add and integrate features, which does indeed speak volumes about their codebase and structure.

I have nothing against Modo as an application, but I'm not sure I want Modo to be the main source of inspiration for COREs developement (which I know it isn't).

Oh, and I do defend LW as well. :)

I mean... there are some ridicilous claims by people that LW can't do this or that, while I clearly have seen that such things are possible, and even fun.

I've also seen that some who left LW at version 8 really don't know what can be achived with LW9.x if adding tools like DPKit and Node Item Motion in combination with the new IK-tools such as the Pole vector. They still judge LW for what they think they know about it; and yes...they are absolutely right if they talk about LW8, but alot of it doesn't apply to LW9.6.

archijam
04-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Can I just say that the 'New and Improved' M*D* vs. LW threads are fantastic :thumbsup:

Kuzey
04-26-2009, 05:02 AM

Actually, to be honest, it's not a few years. That would mean 3 to 4 years and I do believe modo is much older than that. :)

As for the renderer, isn't that the newest part of modo, yet it's still not complete...don't they still have CA to go. :)

Anyway, I would have been more impressed if there was a solidworks exporter too...well slighty :)

To be truthful, I'd be more interested in how much the Core is a complete app or not at the end of 4Q.

Just having some fun :hey:

Kuzey

hrgiger
04-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Modo is seven years old now and does not have Character Animation, particles or dynamics. It's a nice application but it does not have 'everything required in 2009'. It will be at least another year or two before 501 hits which may or may not have those things I listed. So, it will be pretty much almost a decade by the time those things happen. So Lux took a little longer then a few years.
I'll hold off on predicting how long it will take CORE to achieve full application status. I think we'll all have a better guess at the end of this year when the first release of CORE is available.

Nemoid
04-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Modo is a nice tool , however its very true that Luxology took years to develop it, probably because of the fact they are a small company basically selling Modo only and maybe licensing Nexus to some studio.

Lw is a general app yet, so, even CORE has to be conceived like this since the start. It also has to follow it's own route of development applying its own concepts to DCC, this takes both R&D and inspiration from what's good within other apps, and application of interesting concepts and technologies chiming in in siggraph papers.
Believe it or not, with a clear vision in mind, and a well thought design, its actually possible to obtain a powerful app, with ease of use AND flexibility.

Luxology is doing a good work as well, BTW, but it seems that in certain areas of the app, things tend to be overcomplex, e.g. the shader tree, when used for complex scenes, and also form editor (which seems to be more an internal editor to create UIs, than an editor thought out with the user in mind)

animation, CA and other things will come for sure, but still we get no nodes implementation, nor real history or modifier stack, that should be an obvious part of the foundation of a modern app, and there's also room for improvement in painting/sculpting engine.

Nt should be able to do a good work to, lets give them some time and a bit of trust onto what they can deliver, development wise, taking into account they worked with 9.x series quite well.

Nt is not the od company we used to know when actually what now is Lux team was there. its a different beast from developing POV. And this will lead to a different product.
They have different ideas and concepts in mind, which probably are good, too.