PDA

View Full Version : Moving objects from LW to Softimage with textures - is there a way?

creativecontrol
04-23-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has experience exporting LW objects to Softimage. I tried a number of things including FBX, Collada, .Obj, Point Oven etc. but nothing seems to include simple textures (just projections, not UV).

I hope I'm just missing something. Any suggestions?

daforum
04-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Try this page. There is an Object exporter to SoftImage and it says it can export UV co-ordinates too.

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/object.htm

Hope this helps.

creativecontrol
04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks. It says only v 6.5 but I'll see if it'll work anyway.

Cheers!

creativecontrol
05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I tried that but the textures just came out all scrambled in XSI. Is there any other way?

Lightwolf
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Afaik XSI (and most other 3D apps) rely on UVs to be present. LW doesn't (none of the basic projection methods except for UV actually generate any UVs).
I suppose your best bet is to use UVs all the way.

Cheers,
Mike
P.S.: Hey, first people complained that LW doesn't have UVs... and now they complain that other apps rely on them :p

joelaff
05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Have you tried the Point Oven LWO importer that comes with XSI? I never had much problem with that. You may need to rotate your UV maps 90 degrees. Note that the importer creates clusters in XSI. So you need to apply the surface to the cluster.

creativecontrol
05-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys. I did try point oven but it seemed to ignore projected textures. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. If it needs UV's I guess It'll be a bit of work.

joelaff
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Oh, sorry. Yes, it will only import UVs.

Why not convert your textures to UVs? Either create a UV map using a standard projection as the unwrap method in Modeler, or Create an atlas UV map and bake the textures to the UV map.