PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't it work?

j_cuff
04-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Hi guys, apologies for my naivety but my Lightwave skills are pretty rusty and I'm new to creating LiveSets.

My company have recently purchased a TriCaster and Lightwave and I'm in charge of creating new sets to use in our videos.

I have amended the 'SkyBox' set that comes with the LiveSet Generator plugin and am struggling to get the screens to display video when I render them and import them into the tricaster.

What I'm confused about, I believe, are the 'tickboxes' on the LiveSet Generator windows. When I click the FX window the videos in DDR1 and DDR2 play but only as a masked part of the video, when I don't tick the box everything else (BKG, BLK, Camera 1, Camera 2 etc) plays in the screen but the videos in DDR1 and DDR2 doesn't.

Can anybody please help?

Thanks in advance

James

joseburgos
04-23-2009, 06:39 AM
I'll do the easy one first. Masked/Cropped/Not Full Screen is usually when eh texture is not reaching the full boundary of the geometry (Image Plane maybe in your case). Please click on "Automatic Sizing" in the color surface and transparency surface section to make the LiveSet texture fill the total boundary of the surface it is assigned too. Also choosing X, Y and Z is critical but if you already see a "Masked" image, the axis projection is already correct.

joseburgos
04-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Opps..Hit post before I could answer 2nd problem.

The Master Plug-in LiveSet generators Input and FX tick boxes are for Key Hole Matte only. Key Hole matte is primarily used on the input of the Close Up shot in your set.
Key Hole matte disables the geometry scale and perspective and acts like a "cookie cutter" to pass what ever bus bank it was enabled on it.
eg. I create and image plane and assign input to it in the surface setting. I then size or move the image plane back to make it smaller and move it to a part of the cameras viewable area (maybe down and to the left). Then I create two cameras with identical position, rotation and focal length. I now add then both to a multi-camera shot type in the master plaug-in. On one of the cameras I enable key hole matte for the FX and on the other I do not. I build the LiveSet and load it into VT/TC.
I load a clip into a DDR with image in all parts of the screen (Like a flag waving for example). I assign the new LiveSet to an input (does not matter if one was in the scene or not) and make sure I select the ddr in the effects bus.
Now when you change from one shot to the other in this new LiveSet, you will see the effects bus scale down and match the perspective of the image planes geometry and the other will just pass the ddr through the hole the FX image plane creates like a cookie cutter.

Hope that helps explain it all to you.

Good luck and write back if you need more input :)

joseburgos
04-23-2009, 07:16 AM
So for a close up shot, you want key hole matte enabled on the input so that the video feed is passing through unaltered (no scaling or perspective) since it would be full screen and the artifacting LiveSet introduces when it is doing it's magic, is not noticed. When your image plane is not full scree, you can start to allow LiveSet to do it's magic.

Here is a sample Lightwave scene and compiled LiveSet from it, to show you exactly how it works.

Take Care,

billmi
04-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Also worth noting - if you have a foreground object in your close-up shot that is reflective - like the top of a desk the keyhole mask should not be used, because the reflection will get keyholed too and end up looking like the object is semi-transparent rather than reflective.

joseburgos
04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Also worth noting - if you have a foreground object in your close-up shot that is reflective - like the top of a desk the keyhole mask should not be used, because the reflection will get keyholed too and end up looking like the object is semi-transparent rather than reflective.

That is correct Bill and I documented this a while back in this thread;
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=715354&postcount=1

Seems like yo have become a master at LiveSet's Bill :thumbsup:
Great web site and sets you are putting out. Much success Bill.

billmi
04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
That is correct Bill and I documented this a while back in this thread;
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=715354&postcount=1

Yep, I was pretty sure it had been discussed before, just thought it was relevant here :-)

[quote]
Seems like yo have become a master at LiveSet's Bill :thumbsup:
Great web site and sets you are putting out. Much success Bill.

Thanks :-) Of course getting a good handle on them now, means the clock is ticking until we get a new LiveSet format to play with, a'la XD 300. I suspect though, that'll be pretty much the same thing, just higher resolution files that get scaled/cropped for the user zoom.

Got some more sets on the way, once I get some other projects cleared up. Been sick the last several weeks and it makes me need more sleep - that's no kind of good.

j_cuff
04-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I have loaded the keyhole 'set' onto the tricaster and it explains exactly what I need to do.

However I cannot open the LightWave scene to see how it is created. Is there any chance you could save it so it is LightWave 9.3.1 compatible?

Thanks again

James

joseburgos
04-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Try editing the keyhole.lws file using notepad by changing the 5 to a 4 in the 2nd line of the file.

j_cuff
04-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all your help Jose. I think I've managed to grasp what you've done but the plasmas now display the video upside down and skewed.

Please see attached.

joseburgos
04-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Here is a tip I now tell everyone to use when creating a LiveSet and it can also be used to make your finished icons using LiveSet Icon Creator by Al Street http://www.ats-3d.com/LiveSet/index.htm

Use standard images for the LiveSet inputs. One for the FX and one for the Input surface texture. Add them to all the surfaces they correspond too and enable them (check box) and disable the LiveSet texture. Now when you render using F9, you will see how the texture will look before you create the LiveSet. This way if it is flipped, not scaled right, tiled, etc., you can correct it easily.
When your done, unchecked the image maps and check the LiveSet surface texture before using the master LiveSet plug-in to create your set.

Also read the tips and tricks section to garner further information.

Take care,

joseburgos
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I want to add that many people think the plug-in is at fault when it most never is. It is usually 80% standard LW issue (textures, render settings, etc.) and the rest is knowledge of what the plug-in does like the Keyhole function.

That said, feel free to ask away but by using standard image maps, you will solve most of your own problems ;)

Take care,

j_cuff
04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all your help Jose.

I put 100% of the blame on me not the program or the plugin. I am just grateful you have been kind enough to help as I think I'm almost there.

Thanks again

James