PDA

View Full Version : model from images

Soth
04-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi,
I want to teach my younger brother some basis 3d and I get idea that modelling from images would be a good start.

But what program is the best (except ImageModeler - I have policy to not buy programs from evil companies (even on AD website, with electronic delivery ImageModeler is few hundred dollars more expansive if you choose to pay with European credit card (sic!)). So what too chose? Are there any other options then AD?

Silkrooster
04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
To be honest, I believe the best program to start someone on is Bryce. To this day it still has the number one image displacer on the market. Vue is second.
It is the only program that I have come across that can take a 2d image of the top view of a castle tower and create the actual mesh of the tower.
I put Vue second only because I have not tried doing the same.

bjornkn
04-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm not so sure that modeling from photos is a good way to start learning 3D. If that's the purpose you should anyway stay away from automatic programs that build a mesh automagically from 2S - he won't learn anything from that (and the mesh is probably not very good anyway).

It was indeed a sad day when AD bought RealViz. They have already crippled ImageModeler by removing many of the export formats, for some strange reason.

Another sad day was when Adobe (anoher of those evil companies) bought Canoma, which was a very nice program that never got time to grow up before it passed away in Adobes hands.

Another photogrammetric program that is available is Photomodeler, which isnot owned bu one of the big, bad guys (ufortunately they too seems to believe that Europeans can be charged a lot more than US/Can customers)

A program that is available now is SketchUp, which is a great modeler and very good for learning 3D. It allows you to model from a single or several photos. And the program is free in its basic version. Not sure if you can kodel from photos in the free version though, but the full version isn't very expensive anyway.
I use it all the time, and just love modeling in it, although I usually render in LW.
I also own and use ImageModeler and PhotoModeler (and Canoma) which are able to make more precise models than SketchUp, and tehy can also make more organic models.
For learning 3D they are no good though.
Go for SkechUp!

oogway
04-23-2009, 06:23 AM
The best way to start learning 3D is to draw. There is no substitute for the careful observation that is required to translate what you see into what your hand creates. To put anything in the way of that process, ie: software, interferes with that awareness.

DiedonD
04-23-2009, 07:05 AM
The best way to start learning 3D is to draw. There is no substitute for the careful observation that is required to translate what you see into what your hand creates. To put anything in the way of that process, ie: software, interferes with that awareness.

:agree:

JAW
04-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Do you want a program to make a model from a pic for you? Or did you mean you want to use a photo as a refference to use to model?

belanagy
04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
one good entry level program is from an "EVIL" company, Microsoft, Trupespace 7.6 is free with tons (GB's) of tutorials, exercise files, videos and pdf documentations.....

Soth
04-25-2009, 01:00 AM
We installed demo of the PhotoModeler and so far is working fine for us... except that we do not know UK price yet... might be some crazy amount as well.

ApacheDriver
12-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Before I go looking through my junk, anyone know if it works with LW10?

Thanks

OnlineRender
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.123dapp.com/create don't shot the messenger !

JonW
12-11-2011, 07:54 PM
My 8 year old nephew did a fair number of the key strokes on this, attached. I did a few critical & more boring ones, he did the more interesting moves. Also got him to use some shortcuts instead of just clicking on buttons & for example build some things keying in dimensions, he found all this interesting! Mind you he trouble getting his head around my wired network!

& yes as others have mentioned, I showed him some simple architectural plans & got him to do some simple sketches for this one, floor plan, roof plan & elevations, with simple dimensions. We also paced out the time it would take to slowly run the camera around 360.

After dinner we assembled the frames in Quicktime. His first go with LW!